+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Nail the Challenge of Getting Reference Letter from Current Employer!!

Gladossy

Nov 29, 2015
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
12**
App. Filed.......
10/01/2017
Doc's Request.
31 Jan - Schedule A
AOR Received.
10/01
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Passed: 29/01/1987
Passport Req..
25/05/2017
I have employment certificate from when I left the company in 2010. Right now the company is closed, but I located my manager then, who signed the employment certificate. Should I get a letter from him also, stating he was my manger etc and also attach business card for his recent job? Thx

LokiJr01

Apr 13, 2016
Manila
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-06-2016
Doc's Request.
09-08-2016
Nomination.....
26-08-2016
AOR Received.
15-09-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
09-09-2016
Passport Req..
05-01-2017
VISA ISSUED...
17-01-2017
As an employee we have every right to ask for an employment reference letter. It's usually a requirement for other applications (Business, loan, etc ).

They will insist on the company's standard wordings though and it is there that you'll need to convince them to customise the letter a bit to cover more info.
Well...that's how it is done in the Philippines at least. Hehe

defintelyguru

Star Member
May 1, 2015
Toronto, ON
Just want to share a small anecdote / tip...

In case you end up the relation with your employer in not so good terms, it may be complicated to get that reference letter. As many of you know !

In my case, I tried first with the HR in charge of my "dismissal", my request was somewhat ... lost ?!
A couple months later, I contacted my manager, who forwarded the request to the new HR person / lawyer (weird), but it never came through either.

Much much later, I once gain re-contacter my manager with a drafted version, and very politely asked him if he could help me with this process.
He forwarded the request to HR, and I finally received the letter. Better, they sent me 2 of them. The drafted one, and a different one, so I'd have the choice.

Sometimes, it's worth a shot to wait long enough so that there's "water under the bridge"...
There's no more "emotions" left around to block your request, and hopefully your manager will be reasonable enough to give you what you asked.

Reactions: bells

schoudhury

Feb 24, 2016
Hi! I am in a similar situation where neither HR nor my present manager are at a liberty to give me a letter which has my roles and responsibilities. I can provide all supporting documents which prove my employment i.e. Employment Letter (working with the firm since XX date), Offer letter, Salary Structure and Paystubs. But the mail problem is none of these will have my duties mentioned , just designation.
I can possibly think of two ways to prove my responsibilities hed:

1)JD on the company's career website, if that can work as a supporting document? That will be generic of course for similar roles.
2) Letter from my ex manager, he has left the firm. But I can reach out to him.

Please comment if one or both could suffice.

deadbird

Jan 9, 2016
schoudhury said:
Hi! I am in a similar situation where neither HR nor my present manager are at a liberty to give me a letter which has my roles and responsibilities. I can provide all supporting documents which prove my employment i.e. Employment Letter (working with the firm since XX date), Offer letter, Salary Structure and Paystubs. But the mail problem is none of these will have my duties mentioned , just designation.
I can possibly think of two ways to prove my responsibilities hed:

1)JD on the company's career website, if that can work as a supporting document? That will be generic of course for similar roles.
2) Letter from my ex manager, he has left the firm. But I can reach out to him.

Please comment if one or both could suffice.
Hi Sourish.

steph_2015

Star Member
Jan 12, 2015
If I am not wrong the latest job reference letter needs to be no later than 2 months old right? If that is the case, can we ask our employer for the reference letter and then hand write the date?

Would appreciate the response. Thank you.

BlackJeans

Apr 11, 2016
I am using this letter for FSWP and TRV
Does Reference letter expires?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
This is my letter:

Canadian High Commission
(address)

Dear Sir / Madam,

Re: Visa Application for Mr. _____---> will this cause issue?

This is to certify that Mr. _______, a Pharmacist of ______________, Ministry of Health since September 2009 on a full time basis working 45 hours per week. His current monthly salary is _____ and total allowance is _______.

His work responsibilities are to

According to him he intends to visit Canada between ___________--> will this cause issue?

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Director

steph_2015

Star Member
Jan 12, 2015
Yes, I am adding the validity, just thinking to add the date later, else i will have to keep getting a new one. What do u guys recommend?

BlackJeans said:
I am using this letter for FSWP and TRV
Does Reference letter expires?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
This is my letter:

Canadian High Commission
(address)

Dear Sir / Madam,

Re: Visa Application for Mr. _____---> will this cause issue?

This is to certify that Mr. _______, a Pharmacist of ______________, Ministry of Health since September 2009 on a full time basis working 45 hours per week. His current monthly salary is _____ and total allowance is _______.

His work responsibilities are to

According to him he intends to visit Canada between ___________--> will this cause issue?

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Director

BlackJeans

Apr 11, 2016
I am not sure why would letter of reference expires. In fact nth stated in CIC website stating reference letter will expire.

Stanlee

VIP Member
Jan 29, 2016
steph_2015 said:
If I am not wrong the latest job reference letter needs to be no later than 2 months old right? If that is the case, can we ask our employer for the reference letter and then hand write the date?

Would appreciate the response. Thank you.
For your previous employers the letter that you have is valid. For your current employer, it is preferred to have the latest letter.

siddharthbala

Jan 12, 2016
Mississauga
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
08-07-2016
Doc's Request.
28-12-2016
AOR Received.
10-12-2016
Med's Request
06-12-2016
Med's Done....
14-12-2016
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
12-04-2017
VISA ISSUED...
28-04-2017
LANDED..........
14-09-2017
In my case I just straight up told the CEO what my plans were - I've only been working here for two years and asked him for his help in this regarding and he was more than obliging.

As far as what I told him, it was simply, direct and to the point about my future plans - over the course of my time in this company, I've gone from learning the ropes to managing my own team of people that produce results. While he was somewhat saddened to hear of it, I told him that I was still in the early stages and that I wouldn't be going anytime soon, so I could make sure that when my timeline became more set in stone, I would make sure to train my successor and that if anything, he hasn't lost someone from the India team, but rather gained a new one-man sales office in Canada! That put a smile on his face and he was quite happy.

Heck, a few months after I broached the subject with the CEO who I work with directly, he told me to get my documentation ready for a B1/B2 US visa, because it could help me out in future and also for the company if I'm available from Canada to come down to help them for their sales initiatives. So now I have that too, all as a result of the conversation.

I know there are a lot of people out there who don't have the most pleasant working experiences with their current employers, but I look at it much the same way as you would in the dating world - you should demonstrate value to win minds. Present your case clearly and transparently and nobody but the most petty and spiteful of people who stand in your way. Either way, look at it as a win - they'll either give you your desired paperwork (good) or they'll find a way to kick you out before you quit (also good, because then you don't have to work in such a hostile environment and you'll have the letter you want.). Maintain that the reason you're doing this doesn't mean you're going to up and quit as soon as the ink is dry on your passport and that you have atleast 12 - 18 months more to go while you get the transition plan in place and you'll doo all you can to make sure that your successor is well trained.

Stanlee

VIP Member
Jan 29, 2016
siddharthbala said:
In my case I just straight up told the CEO what my plans were - I've only been working here for two years and asked him for his help in this regarding and he was more than obliging.

As far as what I told him, it was simply, direct and to the point about my future plans - over the course of my time in this company, I've gone from learning the ropes to managing my own team of people that produce results. While he was somewhat saddened to hear of it, I told him that I was still in the early stages and that I wouldn't be going anytime soon, so I could make sure that when my timeline became more set in stone, I would make sure to train my successor and that if anything, he hasn't lost someone from the India team, but rather gained a new one-man sales office in Canada! That put a smile on his face and he was quite happy.

Heck, a few months after I broached the subject with the CEO who I work with directly, he told me to get my documentation ready for a B1/B2 US visa, because it could help me out in future and also for the company if I'm available from Canada to come down to help them for their sales initiatives. So now I have that too, all as a result of the conversation.

I know there are a lot of people out there who don't have the most pleasant working experiences with their current employers, but I look at it much the same way as you would in the dating world - you should demonstrate value to win minds. Present your case clearly and transparently and nobody but the most petty and spiteful of people who stand in your way. Either way, look at it as a win - they'll either give you your desired paperwork (good) or they'll find a way to kick you out before you quit (also good, because then you don't have to work in such a hostile environment and you'll have the letter you want.). Maintain that the reason you're doing this doesn't mean you're going to up and quit as soon as the ink is dry on your passport and that you have atleast 12 - 18 months more to go while you get the transition plan in place and you'll doo all you can to make sure that your successor is well trained.
Thanks for sharing your experience +1!

deadbird

Jan 9, 2016
siddharthbala said:

That's a great attitude Siddharth Bala. Very ballsy.

Did you you have a plan B if your manager turned hostile?