+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Nail the Challenge of Getting Reference Letter from Current Employer!!

vtox_g@yahoo.com

Star Member
Mar 5, 2016
Stanlee said:
For those who are looking for a reference letter format, I have drafted one and used this for me as well. This is in line with the requirement that has been mentioned in the OINP Application Guide (http://www.ontarioimmigration.ca/en/pnp/OI_PNP_EE_CAPITAL.html). Please feel free to tewek it to meed your requirement.

Reference Letter Format

Date: _____________

To Whom it May Concern

This is to certify that Mr. ____________ (Name) is currently employed with __________ (Company Name) in ___________ (Location, Country).

Details of his employment are given below:
• Designation:
• Date of Joining:
• Employee ID:
• Type of Employment (Full time/permanent/part-time):
• Hours of Work/Week:
• Department:
• Reporting Manager:
• Annual Salary:

Duties and responsibilities handled by ___________ (Name) are as follows:

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us.

For (Company Name)

<Signature of the Referee> <Company Seal>
<Name & Designation of the Referee>
<Contact No. and Email of the Referee>

really helpful thank you for sharing.. one quick question on referral letter is it fine to get the name & designation of the referee of head of HR or office manager or the referee has to be only my manger to whom I used to report..

Stanlee

VIP Member
Jan 29, 2016
vtox_g@yahoo.com said:
really helpful thank you for sharing.. one quick question on referral letter is it fine to get the name & designation of the referee of head of HR or office manager or the referee has to be only my manger to whom I used to report..
You can either get it from your manager or HR, it does not matter.

sraj07

May 26, 2015
Nice Post ..

As rightly said by Stanlee , talk to Mgr in nice way . Most managers get fear that in later stage , if HR comes to know that he gave the ref letter , it will be a problem to their job .. Thatsy most managers are not giving .. So talk to them that it is just a name sake letter no reference check will come ..

If you are very sure that HR wont give , then only option is mgr , so tell them that manager has to give the ref letter because they are the correct people to confirm the employment ---- blah blah like that tell some lies ... make sure you talk professional but at the same time personally .....

create a professional drama infront of him .... that mgr is the one who decides your career .. something like that ....

I know we guys knows better to make up stories...(he must have done the same to his manager :) )

pssid

Dec 31, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ndvo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-10-2015
AOR Received.
23-10-2015
Med's Done....
4-11-2015
Passport Req..
23-03-2016
LANDED..........
24-06-2016
This is a very good post. Try what ever possible and the last resort is a legal self declaration on a stamp paper. Content is the same as mentioned but its just a declaration that you could not get the a reference letter and what ever u r saying if found wrong can b held against you in court. It worked for me, but no guarantees. From what i observed reading the post over a period of time is that if your company is a well known company and the noc u r claiming is the kind of work they do.. self declaration does work. But remember its last resort. It gave me many sleepless nights cursing my company.. i got ppr recently with self declaration so i tht of sharing it. Good luck

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
pssid said:
This is a very good post. Try what ever possible and the last resort is a legal self declaration on a stamp paper. Content is the same as mentioned but its just a declaration that you could not get the a reference letter and what ever u r saying if found wrong can b held against you in court. It worked for me, but no guarantees. From what i observed reading the post over a period of time is that if your company is a well known company and the noc u r claiming is the kind of work they do.. self declaration does work. But remember its last resort. It gave me many sleepless nights cursing my company.. i got ppr recently with self declaration so i tht of sharing it. Good luck
Excellent. Thank you for sharing this information - it gives a little more hope for people whose companies do not provide a reference letter in the required format. +1

CanadaWeCome

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Express Entry FSW Outlander
NOC Code......
4031/4032
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
Awaiting
AOR Received.
15-12-2015
IELTS Request
27-06-2015
pssid said:
Good post +1

Stanlee

VIP Member
Jan 29, 2016
pssid said:
Thanks for sharing your experience and the fact that self declaration was accepted. This information will help many applicants who face a similar situation.

May I request you to please share the self declaration format that you used.

+1 and all the best!

hshringi

Star Member
Mar 6, 2016
Bangalore, India
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-03-2016
Doc's Request.
23-04-2016
I've got a clear NO from both my ex-manager and HR regarding the reference letter while pretty much everyone else that I worked with has left the organization since.

So now I basically have 2 options:

1) Get a reference letter from an ex-colleague who is no longer at the organization (in case this is something worth pursuing, I would appreciate if someone could share a sample format)

2) Don't get anything and simply submit a self-attested LOE

I think I can get "1" through one of my old colleagues but he too has left the organization so I'm not sure what the reference letter format should look like.

Also, what will be their job titles in this instance? Their titles from back when they used to work at this organization or their current job titles from their new organizations?

Moreover, do I add a line anywhere mentioning that this colleague has since left my old organization?

Thanks for the assistance guys!

MZASAM

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Great Stanlee for this new thread.

It can be of help, info to several aspirants. Most HR, Managers avoid such matters saying it's not company policy.

Wish to share my reference letter SAGA.

Background: Female, S/W engineer, Masters with MNC, NOC 2173, CRS 432, 5 years in the same company and continuing.

Missed CRS 482, courtesy IELTS 6.5 in writing three times.

Approached HR supervisor shared my plans. She advised to approach my IT department manager (Not cooperative at all).

Still shared with him. He said I will check with HR which he never did and deliberately delayed the matter.

I mailed it to the Director requesting the reference letter. (He is quite impressed with my productivity and performance of five years)

Within 5 minutes he replied, with CC to manager to issue the letter as requested.

I drafted the referral letter as per the CIC requirement and the Manager refused to sign, stamp on letter head.

Approached HR. who informed that while you are employed such a letter can't be issued on letter head providing all details as I drafted.

HR agreed ..for standard letter on letter head which I took. (It mentioned one line designation, start date)

HR and my Manager discussed, agreed to provide the detailed referral letter on plain paper, which I got notarized.

Subsequently my manager provided his business card.

The only reason I got the referral letter is because of the instruction from IT Director and my 5 years association and contribution to his department.

Reactions: lok254

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
pssid said:
Interesting. Need some more details here.

What other supporting documentation did you provide for this work experience? And did this experience count towards program eligibility? CRS points? Both? Neither?

hshringi

Star Member
Mar 6, 2016
Bangalore, India
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-03-2016
Doc's Request.
23-04-2016
Asivad Anac said:

What other supporting documentation did you provide for this work experience? And did this experience count towards program eligibility? CRS points? Both? Neither?
This is indeed the part I was talking about

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Asivad Anac said:

Well, I have heard of one such case with FSW 2014. I don't know the exact details of the case but the applicant was not able to get his reference letter from anybody else in the organization. He signed it himself on a stamp paper and got it notarized. His application was approved. This is the first known case of a self-declaration being accepted under EE though.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
hshringi said:
FSW 2014? Didn't EE start last year, i.e. 2015?
Yes, EE started last year (2015). I was talking about an applicant who had submitted his application before EE started (in 2014). S/he was FSW applicant.

hshringi

Star Member
Mar 6, 2016
Bangalore, India
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-03-2016
Doc's Request.
23-04-2016
You wrote "This is the first known case of a self-declaration being accepted under EE though" so I got confused

Anyways I don't think we can really look into cases before EE to assess what may happen now (heck even present cases won't necessarily dictate what happens to someone who writes self-notarized letters today)