+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Naija - Aluta Continua!

tito

Feb 10, 2007
The gist continues...

Finally got round to doing the written test for the driver's license and got my G1 despite the drivetest workers' strike (since Aug 24th, think say na only naija dey strike fro long). Hopefully the strike will be called off next week and I can do the road test before the winter start biting too hard. Got a Toro snow thrower and will be coupling it together in readiness for the snow. We are all set for our first full winter and looking forward to it with hope. Currently talking to insurance brokers to see if I can get a better auto insurance quote than I currently have ($300/mth); dem wan kill person with about 540,000 Naira per annum premium! Wetin??? Strategy is to have all our insurance with just one company for good discount, God dey!
Also checking out mortgage rates and houses, don't have plans to rent beyond one year. I be landlord for naija and the rent here for an average house is like that of VGC. Must resolve this ASAP.

Aluta continua..

Odeks

Star Member
Sep 25, 2009
Tito, Thanks for having someone like u here, with much struggling can someone raise money for an average accommodation in there without bringing money from Naija.Because u said average cost of living is like that of VGC-- Kilode? Seh we no fit see accommodation like OGBA/OJODU/IKEJA rate there ni? Anyway thank GOD se we have u online here and there for any further clarification and question about Canada. Naija don tired me oooo. Embezzlement here and there,without justice.

tito

Feb 10, 2007
Odeks said:
Tito, Thanks for having someone like u here, with much struggling can someone raise money for an average accommodation in there without bringing money from Naija.Because u said average cost of living is like that of VGC-- Kilode? Seh we no fit see accommodation like OGBA/OJODU/IKEJA rate there ni? Anyway thank GOD se we have u online here and there for any further clarification and question about Canada. Naija don tired me oooo. Embezzlement here and there,without justice.
A decent accommodation outside of Toronto will cost about CAD$1,600 per month (CAD$19,200 per annum). With Canadian dollar doing head to head with US dollar, that is about N3 Million per annum excluding utilities (power, water, phone, tv subscription). Bros na VGC level be that oh! You can get Ogba/ Ojodu levels but the "price" could be more expensive, in terms of safety and security. Places like Jane and Finch are known for crime but they cost like Ogba (if not a bit more).
Except if you have other plans, you will need to bring money for accommodation from naija; this is why you are requested to show funds according to family size when you land.

How far are you in the process? Don't worry about it, it will soon hit you before you know it.

All the best.

tito

Feb 10, 2007
Ok, was at the bank today to make inquiries about the mortgage for house purchase...I must not stay in this rented house beyond the end of lease date. It is not so easy adapting to life as a tenant after living in my own house for several years.

Could have bought a house on my arrival but didn't do my homework well...I wonder why the houses are smaller and yet cost a whole lot more than yankee houses!

Aluta Continua...

Odeks

Star Member
Sep 25, 2009
Tito,
Could u please shed more light on this accommodation stuff. Which one is advisable, to rent an apartment or buy outright on landing. U have the idea of the total cost? what of this mortgage stuff? Kindly share ur experience please.
Thanks.

mot

Nov 23, 2007
Category........
Visa Office......
av
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
done. 7.5 overall
Tito,

Just to appreciate you for sharing these stuff. They are good to know. Pls respond to Odeks queries cos I'm interested as well. What kind of accommodation goes for 1600 USD - is it one or two bed?

Once again thanks for the insights.

Jada

Apr 26, 2009
Nigeria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
March 31st 2012
Interesting thread. I'm curious,why don't kids start elementary school till they are 6. What will they be doing till they are 6. Forgive my ignorance.

domingo

Jan 20, 2009
Jada said:
Interesting thread. I'm curious,why don't kids start elementary school till they are 6. What will they be doing till they are 6. Forgive my ignorance.
Yes please, if someone can throw some light on this, as I have a daughter who is 2.5 right now.

Badmus

Star Member
Sep 28, 2005
Canada
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
24-07-2005
LANDED..........
July '19
tito said:
Its been a while, just thought I should drop these few lines for whatever its worth.

The landing was long done, this is the return! We are back fully, rented a house and furnished it (haven't been a tenant in several years), kids started school and we have purchased a vehicle for the navigation. The process of integration is ongoing, the Canadians are nice and always wanting to help. Life is expectedly better here just cost a bit more (current exchange rate in naija is just crazy and Canadian dollar is still strong).
Am not looking for work yet, there are issues with the Canadian experience; it wont come easy except you are super good or could be the next best thing after Bill Gates. But things will fall into place at some point, we are naijas and we run things!
It has cost so much to settle down up to this point, basically because of the desire to provide a reasonable comfort level to make the relocation less stressful - the move was made because of the kids (we the adults are already "crayfished"). It is advisable for those waiting for the PR to start planning for the move, the best time to start preparing is now! It helped us because we landed in 2007 and returned to naija almost immediately, we planned and gathered money for over a year before this return. We have been paying cash for almost everything since we came with no credit history that could be accepted here but we brought so many items from naija to avoid unnecessary purchase here.
Its been fun for everybody so far except that I am always missing naija. Not sure of how that country will be rebuilt but we need to do it fast, it will always be my home.

Will be back to update as necessary.

Spot - On, that's brilliant please keep telling us the happenings over there

branda

Nov 11, 2009
Please help my anxious friend. My friend is a USA citizen and applied for canadian PR under FSW(38 lists). She got married to her husband last Oct. 2008. They were school mate in their originated country, and lost contact after primary school. Luckly, they both reunited again in USA ,in Oct. 2007, after many years. Now, the issue is that the husband has felony case with USA immigration and has been ordered to go back to his home country. After several researches on how they can migrate to canada without being denied for Visa, She decided to fill for PR under FSW. She filled as the principal applicant, since she has an outstanding record here in USA and has already qualifed for further processing of their application by nova scovia. She has no record of her marriage in USA, but only in their home country they are recognized as been married. She filled with that marriage certificate from their home country. In the application, she stated that her husband is in their home country and has never been to USA or any other country before, and submitted police clearance of her husband from their home country which proved no criminal record.
1. Now, her question is if they are requested for medical, can her husband do his medical here in USA, since he's still residing here or can he go back to their home country to obtain his without raising red flag to CIC.
2. If her husband leaves USA, he will be banned from returning back due to his felony case.
She needs advice from this forum and any helpful suggestions, and i don't know what to tell her as a friend.
I don't want to give her wrong advice because she said that her reason for doing what she did was that she does not want do live apart from her husband if he's deported from USA. They want to start family. Husband will be in legal status and not fear of any deportation.
Please help this couple. Thanks!

tito

Feb 10, 2007
Odeks said:
Tito,
Could u please shed more light on this accommodation stuff. Which one is advisable, to rent an apartment or buy outright on landing. U have the idea of the total cost? what of this mortgage stuff? Kindly share ur experience please.
Thanks.
I believe you should buy on landing if you know where you would like to live, location is the key. It makes no sense to pay a landlord about CAD$ 20,000 when the same amount is good for downpayment on CAD$400,000 house. You will eventually buy a house on mortgage except if you are a politician for naija! The implication is that you pay monthly mortgage on the house like you are renting, just that it is your house and you have some 20 - 30 years to finish payment depending on your mortgage terms. There are requirements (proof of income - letter from employer, paystubs or notice of tax assessment or you go to a secondary lender) to qualify for mortgage but it is not so tough. This is the simplest explanation you can get.

House cost varies depending on location but be prepared for something in the range of 350 to 400K. You wont be allowed to take a mortgage beyond what your income can handle.

tito

Feb 10, 2007
mot said:
Tito,

Just to appreciate you for sharing these stuff. They are good to know. Pls respond to Odeks queries cos I'm interested as well. What kind of accommodation goes for 1600 USD - is it one or two bed?

Once again thanks for the insights.
Hi mot,
See my response to Odeks queries. A CAD$1600 accommodation should get you a 3 bedroom townhouse in Vaughan, maybe 4 bedroom in Orangeville and Barrie. Maybe a 2 bedroom in Toronto, again, location is the key. Toronto is the happening city, Vaughan is a Toronto suburb, right on top of Toronto. Barrie is further north of Toronto and Vaughan with more snow than TO. Google mls.ca for an idea of rents in different areas.

tito

Feb 10, 2007
Jada said:
Hey Jada,
The policy here is to ensure kids start school at the age already determined to support proper learning, the kids starts junior KG at 4 and KG at 5 then move to Grade 1 at 6 years of age. The junior KG and KG classes are only 2.5 classes per week (the child goes to school on Mondays, Wednesdays and alternating Fridays), I think Ontario is planning to make this a daily affair. Kids below 4 goes to daycare at the expense of the parents.

tito

Feb 10, 2007
branda said:
Please help my anxious friend. My friend is a USA citizen and applied for canadian PR under FSW(38 lists). She got married to her husband last Oct. 2008. They were school mate in their originated country, and lost contact after primary school. Luckly, they both reunited again in USA ,in Oct. 2007, after many years. Now, the issue is that the husband has felony case with USA immigration and has been ordered to go back to his home country. After several researches on how they can migrate to canada without being denied for Visa, She decided to fill for PR under FSW. She filled as the principal applicant, since she has an outstanding record here in USA and has already qualifed for further processing of their application by nova scovia. She has no record of her marriage in USA, but only in their home country they are recognized as been married. She filled with that marriage certificate from their home country. In the application, she stated that her husband is in their home country and has never been to USA or any other country before, and submitted police clearance of her husband from their home country which proved no criminal record.
1. Now, her question is if they are requested for medical, can her husband do his medical here in USA, since he's still residing here or can he go back to their home country to obtain his without raising red flag to CIC.
2. If her husband leaves USA, he will be banned from returning back due to his felony case.
She needs advice from this forum and any helpful suggestions, and i don't know what to tell her as a friend.
I don't want to give her wrong advice because she said that her reason for doing what she did was that she does not want do live apart from her husband if he's deported from USA. They want to start family. Husband will be in legal status and not fear of any deportation.
Please help this couple. Thanks!
Branda,
I am not able to help you on this, you may consider starting your own thread and let the experts advice you appropriately.
Good luck.

mot

Nov 23, 2007
Category........
Visa Office......
av
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
done. 7.5 overall
Tto,Thanks for your response. With regard to your advise to buy on landing, is it possible considering the fact that you dont have a job and therefore, no documents, credit history etc to show the bank. Is there a way round this? I really would like to take that route when we get there. Secondly, is there a website that can tell you the more secured areas, to aid your decision on location? Thirdly Tito, which province has the least cold weather. Thanks for your response.