+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Naija - Aluta Continua!

prof456

Star Member
Nov 27, 2009
Sir K said:
Thanks guys for your suggestions as per flights. do you think booking online through airlines website is more expensive than going through agents? Already Ive booked with emirate online for about USD5300 for a family of 4 though Ive not backed it up with cash. Note that I am travelling out of naija.
Cheers
4 seats @ $1325USD each LOS<>Canada (assuming RTN TKTS) is a very good price. Although, I try to shy away from this route cos it's a very long flight...going East to Dubai and then West to Toronto plus the wait time in Dubai, price-wise, it's not a bad choice...and if you can maximise your time in Dubai, you should be fine. Bon Voyage...!

P.S. Sometimes you may find good deals leaving Nigeria online, rare but possible. However, leaving Canada or the US, online is usually the way to go. Some of these wholesale ticket consolidators have good prices and sometimes sell at discount prices...but the flights have to originate from N.America

barsindoo

Champion Member
Jul 7, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
prof456 said:
4 seats @ $1325USD each LOS<>Canada (assuming RTN TKTS) Please explain what the letters in mean, thanks. is a very good price. Although, I try to shy away from this route cos it's a very long flight...going East to Dubai and then West to Toronto plus the wait time in Dubai, price-wise, it's not a bad choice...and if you can maximise your time in Dubai, you should be fine. Bon Voyage...!

P.S. Sometimes you may find good deals leaving Nigeria online, rare but possible. However, leaving Canada or the US, online is usually the way to go. Some of these wholesale ticket consolidators have good prices and sometimes sell at discount prices...but the flights have to originate from N.America

barsindoo

Champion Member
Jul 7, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello friends,

I would like to use this opportunity to wish you all a Happy Easter. This was the season back in the days when the Lord Jesus was crucified and He rose on the third day having defeated the devil and death thereby it making it possible for all men/women to be redeemed.

I pray that all that is dead in our lives, situation and circumstances shall arise by the reason of this season and the power in the name of Jesus Christ.

Do have a pleasant break. Cool

Barsindoo

tito

Feb 10, 2007
Odeks said:
Tito,
Its nice to read from you here againg on the bidding war. You said one should be loaded --- to the tune of what are we talking about my brother? How many thousand of Dollar? Also this ur bidding stuff, did you paid all the money at once in full? Kindly put us tru here so that we should all have the fore knowledge of what is obtainable in due course. Once again i thank GOD for ur family life in Canada, and i pray that GOD in HIS infinite mercy see u tru all ur undertakings there. Thanks for all the info online here.
Sorry, have been globetrotting! Just a rough estimate here:
Capital cost
Vehicle: Varies 10 to 20k depending on choice. You can make do with buses/cabs etc but not convenient.
Furniture
TV
Computer (or bring laptop)

Monthly cost
Vehicle insurance ~$250 - $300
Accommodation (rental) ~$1600 - $1800
Tenant Insurance ~$25
Water/Hydro ~$100 - $200
Monthly groceries (family of 4) ~$500
Phone (VOIP) ~$45
TV (make boredom no kill person) ~$40
Internet ~$45

The total depends on your taste and what you can afford but you want to be sure your basic needs are catered for. Clothing not included but you sure need some especially for winter.

For the bidding war, the idea is to offer the highest price to beat other bidders. You don't have to pay the entire money but could include a big deposit of about $25k to $50k along with your offer to show some seriousness. Money laundering is a big issue worldwide so you want to be careful how you transfer money around in case somebody starts checking.
Along with your offer, you could also waive all the usual conditions like home inspection and purchase subject to approval of financing (not advisable but people do these).

Hope this info helps.

tito

Feb 10, 2007
prof456 said:
What do you mean by "the market is still hot in TO"? Are you saying the house prices are high? I understand you may be a recent immigrant (correct me if I'm wrong) so you may not have studied the market trends. If you are looking to buy a house, you may want to consider NOW if you have the resources. Interest rates are low and house prices are relatively low/slow...that's for the over-inflated market as a result of the recession. If you are looking for houses in Toronto to drop, you are wasting your time. Toronto and Vancouver...those are places you'd find the most overpriced houses in Canada...similar to NY. It's all about supply and demand...and in TO, the demand is steady. If you are not looking outside Toronto, you may want to take a peak at the surburbs....good surburbs though; commuting might be an issue but it's not as bad as Lagos or a Friday evening in Atlanta. This is one issue you'd come to realise in Canada...everything is alot more expensive when you compare with our neighbours in the US. The good thing with the property market in Canada though is that the average value of your property will increase (more equity over the years) compared to some US cities. On the other hand, my sincere advice is if you do not have constant income, just keep renting. It's very easy to fall into the mortgage "trap"...inasmuch as I'd say it's a VERY good investment, the rule of thumb is to ensure that at most 25% of your income is towards your (family) mortgage. Remember, apart from paying your mortgage, you have utilities and property taxes (make sure you know how much taxes you are going to be paying as your property may be assessed every year, and the taxes will definitely go up) which must be paid. On the other hand, if you have enough disposable cash to buy a house, cash down, I'd say put about 60%-70% down and invest the rest in something else. Just my 2 cents which must be taken with a huge bag of salt.

BTW, whereabouts Toronto are you?
The house prices are not just high but higher than it used to be, caused by low interest rates (that are just beginning to go up), and low inventories; there was no bidding war this time last year! Or what would you call 10 people bidding on a property, if not hot? I live in Vaughan, definitely one of the most expensive suburbs of TO. There is no issue for me commuting from here to anywhere in TO. My knowledge of the property market in TO cannot match that of a professional yet but is near that! At the risk of sounding immodest, I can say that as an agressive investor who watches his investment like a hawk, it will be foolhardy to jump into any market without researching it properly.

Seriously, I wouldn't buy now if I had a choice; coming from Nigeria where I own properties and have been living in my own house for about 10 years left me with no option than buying now. I dread being watched/visited by any landlord/lady, a situation that I couldn't prevent here.

My initial buying strategy fits waiting for the interest rates to go up and having the property prices cool down a little but I tweaked the plan and decided that I will be owning this house for about 10 years. And with about 20% downpayment, I should be able to pay the mortgage off in 5 years max; there is no attraction to put down up to 60-70% of the house when I can use other people's money or where can I get loan in naija for less than 4%?

While it is true that property houses are highest in TO and Vancouver, they will still drop and are infact beginning to stagnate as a prelude to dropping.

I have the mortgage issues covered too well to worry about any part of it and won't be using up to 25% of my income. I am on 30 years amortization with payment based on 25 years in addition to other privileges included in my mortgage.
God has blessed me beyond financial complaints now, I must seek for others to bless.

tito

Feb 10, 2007
Sir K said:
Pls Tito, I am sorry to take you back to the very beginning. Its just because levels have changed and speculative questions are over.
1. Pls let me take you back to 2007 when you landed initially, how did you show them the proof of fund? Right now the bulk of my funds are in GT bank (dorm acct), is bank statement from the bank acceptable? or master card balance?
2. Only COPR forms are are included with our pali, how about other forms that one will fill as per goods to follow or declaration form? Is it ok to download those from their website? If yes, what and what forms are needed.
3. the flight question you have answered.
Hope to read from you.
Cheers
Sir K,
It's been a while, trust you are doing good.
1. I went with hard cash but just the amount specified for a family of 4 and properly declared on the appropriate form - it was more than $10,000 allowed without declaration. I didn't want to gamble on other instruments especially coming from naija.
2. Get other forms from the website. I remember goods to follow and currency declaration forms, can't remember using any other form.

Have you landed yet?

schwarzeradler said:
RTN TKTS = Return Tickets ;D

"The Eagle has Landed"
Oh, just saw that you are in already. Happy stay and all the best.

Sir K

Star Member
Mar 16, 2009
Thanks tito for finding time to respond.
Im clear a bit now on those questions. As per the "Eagle has landed", its definitely not me, it was posted by schwarzeradler. I still dey Naija preparing to land by August.
Cheers

geeforce

Feb 24, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Naija 4 life: I just submitted my application on march 8th. Through which medium will i receive my AOR...email or posts?

bennyameh

Dec 13, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
geeforce said:
Naija 4 life: I just submitted my application on march 8th. Through which medium will i receive my AOR...email or posts?
Hi
You will receive AOR by e-mail.
Benny

tinuadeadebola

Champion Member
Feb 28, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10th April 2010
Doc's Request.
22-06-2010
AOR Received.
22-06-2010
IELTS Request
already taken
File Transfer...
26-06-2010
Med's Request
June18th 2012
Med's Done....
June 21st 2012
Passport Req..
August 21st 2012
VISA ISSUED...
August 27th 2012
LANDED..........
February, 2013
MY NAIJA PEOPLE
Please is it compulsory that you have to stay the full three years in canada before you can apply for citizinship status? can you land , stay some few months and come back to your country and be going once every year until the three years requirement is met? also as a PR holder is it compulsory you work during the three years before applying for a citizenship status? can you study say a PHD through out the three years and yet apply for citizenship visa?
Tito, Prof and all seniors please advise

igbehinadara

Champion Member
Dec 6, 2009
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Avo
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
Dec 2015
Nomination.....
Nov 2016
IELTS Request
NA
VISA ISSUED...
July 2017
LANDED..........
October 2017
Happy Easter to all naija's on this forum.The risen Lord will bring good tidings regarding our sojourn to the land of Canada and all our future endeavour in jesus name.

Tinu,for you to be eligible for PR ,you must live in canada for two years out of the five years given.As a PR holder you cannot vote.If you decide to move back and forth from canada-lagos you must satisfy the aforementioned criteria.
I hope you get it.

Ig

prof456

Star Member
Nov 27, 2009
tinuadeadebola said:
MY NAIJA PEOPLE
Please is it compulsory that you have to stay the full three years in canada before you can apply for citizinship status? can you land , stay some few months and come back to your country and be going once every year until the three years requirement is met? also as a PR holder is it compulsory you work during the three years before applying for a citizenship status? can you study say a PHD through out the three years and yet apply for citizenship visa?
Tito, Prof and all seniors please advise
- The 3yrs (1095 days) is a requirement for citizenship.
- However you want it, you may choose. One thing you have to bear in mind is that the PR status expires after 5yrs. For you to be able to renew it, you must have resided in Canada for 2yrs out of the 5yrs. My advice usually is that if you can reside in Canada for 2yrs, 3yrs is really no big deal if your residency/citizenship status is of importance to you.
- You can be a student, worker, etc throughout the period; just make sure you are not convicted ;D. Goodluck with your plans.

tito said:
The house prices are not just high but higher than it used to be, caused by low interest rates (that are just beginning to go up), and low inventories; there was no bidding war this time last year! Or what would you call 10 people bidding on a property, if not hot? I live in Vaughan, definitely one of the most expensive suburbs of TO. There is no issue for me commuting from here to anywhere in TO. My knowledge of the property market in TO cannot match that of a professional yet but is near that! At the risk of sounding immodest, I can say that as an agressive investor who watches his investment like a hawk, it will be foolhardy to jump into any market without researching it properly.

Seriously, I wouldn't buy now if I had a choice; coming from Nigeria where I own properties and have been living in my own house for about 10 years left me with no option than buying now. I dread being watched/visited by any landlord/lady, a situation that I couldn't prevent here.

My initial buying strategy fits waiting for the interest rates to go up and having the property prices cool down a little but I tweaked the plan and decided that I will be owning this house for about 10 years. And with about 20% downpayment, I should be able to pay the mortgage off in 5 years max; there is no attraction to put down up to 60-70% of the house when I can use other people's money or where can I get loan in naija for less than 4%?

While it is true that property houses are highest in TO and Vancouver, they will still drop and are infact beginning to stagnate as a prelude to dropping.

I have the mortgage issues covered too well to worry about any part of it and won't be using up to 25% of my income. I am on 30 years amortization with payment based on 25 years in addition to other privileges included in my mortgage.
God has blessed me beyond financial complaints now, I must seek for others to bless.
God knows in my several years in Canada, I never "bidded" for any property unless in foreclosures (which were auctioned off). I place my offer (usually less than the listed price), negotiate, if not accepted, I move one....and this is from someone with a few properties around the country including Toronto. Regardless, goodluck with your "bidding wars".

PS. If you are looking for people to bless, seek further no more. I need more than enough blessings ;D Hopefully, one day I can catch up with some of you folks. At the moment, schedules are quite tight.

tinuadeadebola

Champion Member
Feb 28, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10th April 2010
Doc's Request.
22-06-2010
AOR Received.
22-06-2010
IELTS Request
already taken
File Transfer...
26-06-2010
Med's Request
June18th 2012
Med's Done....
June 21st 2012
Passport Req..
August 21st 2012
VISA ISSUED...
August 27th 2012
LANDED..........
February, 2013
Prof/igbehin,
Thanks for your response. truth is am trying to weigh all options prior to embarking on this project. Most seniors who have landed have been kind enough to let us know that canada is not a bed of roses and that we should be careful about resigning our jobs. in the light of the advise i was thinking i could keep my job and if possible apply for study leave stay for one year and run back. Am actually not one of the persons that are keen on staying overseas even though mu husband is.

But i believe the Citizenship status is worth getting for the kids sake, but i dont want to sacrifice the small level of comfort i am enjoying in this sweet and sour naija for a hard life in canada just because the kids would get citizenship status. I hope someone dont misunderstand me i am not saying i am very comfortable here but i did my masters in Uk and had samples of what leaving overseas could be like hence am a bit afraid of making the move.

However my heart is wide open and am trusting on God and you guys my good seniors to guide me in making decision. any advise particularly from those who have landed will be welcome as it si now i am 50/50 in the game .

Thanks, Tinu