+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

NAFTA Professional Entry - Bringing in Leased/or Financed Car, Really confused about the steps!!

Jan 4, 2019
Hi all,

I received an offer from a Canadian company and my job title falls under the NAFTA Professional category. From what I understand, this is a temporary permit and should I lose my job/be fired/etc. I will need to return to the US immediately.

Right now my SO and I have two cars - a 2012 paid-in-full (but with active completely unmanagable recalls) and a 2017 lease. We are considering trading in the 2012 to purchase the 2017 lease, but will be financing the remaining amount through a third-party lender. If this doesn't work, the only other option is walking away from the lease and paying the remaining payments. We would sell the 2012, and potentially purchase a new car in Canada.

Questions:
1. Do we have to export/import the 2017?
2. What exactly is a "temporary import" and does this mean I can reenter the US with our 2017?
3. What are the steps for "temporary import"?
4. What kind of paperwork do I need?
5. Does it matter that we will likely spend months in Canada without returning to the US?

Ideally, we would like to finance the 2017, NOT export/import the car, keep US license plates (we would register the car to a family member's address), and keep US insurance (which covers us already in Canada for any amount of time). We aren't 100% sure if we would like to stay in Canada permanently, and from what I understand, we wouldn't be able to do so until the 5-year mark, at which point, we might want a new car anyways!

zwz002

Apr 13, 2017
What did you end up doing? Not sure if you can temporarily import a leased vehicle, but the 2012 definitely would be eligible.