+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My wife is pregnant and she is planning to travel on Tourist visa

Yashsaxena

Mar 23, 2022
Hi All,

I am a permanent resident of Canada, i went to India in Nov and got married. I returned to Canada in May and applied for my wife's tourist visa. My plan was to call her on Tourist Visa and then apply for sponsorship in Canada. It's been 4 months now and Tourist visa is still under processing. While we were waiting for her tourist visa, we got to know that she is pregnant.
I have few doubts in my mind-
1) As I am on PR and she will be on Tourist Visa, would childbirth be taken care by the government, or would it be on my cost
2) Do I need to inform IRCC, that she is pregnant, and is it going to affect her visa processing?

Any help would be much appreciated!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi All,

I am a permanent resident of Canada, i went to India in Nov and got married. I returned to Canada in May and applied for my wife's tourist visa. My plan was to call her on Tourist Visa and then apply for sponsorship in Canada. It's been 4 months now and Tourist visa is still under processing. While we were waiting for her tourist visa, we got to know that she is pregnant.
I have few doubts in my mind-
1) As I am on PR and she will be on Tourist Visa, would childbirth be taken care by the government, or would it be on my cost
2) Do I need to inform IRCC, that she is pregnant, and is it going to affect her visa processing?

Any help would be much appreciated!
1) Depends on what province you're living in. However generally it would be on your own cost and not covered by the government.
2) No, you don't need to let IRCC know.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I am living in Ontario, and what if I convert her TRV to WP once she is here?
She will not qualify for OHIP in that case. You will need to cover the expenses of the birth yourself. The only way to "convert" her TRV to a work permit is to sponsor her for PR inland once she is here and include an OWP with the application. She will need to wait for the OWP to be approved which is typically taking 6-8 months these days and then she will need to secure a job before she can qualify for OHIP coverage.

Yashsaxena

Mar 23, 2022
It's more than 4 months now since applied for her TRV on 25 th Feb.it will be her 2nd month in pregnancy now,I think only option I have is to look for travel insurance if that covers the cost of pregnancy

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
It's more than 4 months now since applied for her TRV on 25 th Feb.it will be her 2nd month in pregnancy now,I think only option I have is to look for travel insurance if that covers the cost of pregnancy
It’ll be extremely difficult to find an insurance provider willing to cover you . Insurance companies are risk adverse. They insure individuals who more than likely won’t file a claim. That’s the business . In your case, you WILL be filing a claim , so they will have to pay out .
That’s why it’s rare for pregnancy to be covered

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Suggest start calling your family doctor and see what OB-GYN will take on your wife on as a patient. Most likely you will have to pay upfront for OB-GYN care before the birth. Factor in costs for pre natal care - ultrasounds, blood work too. Then factor in hospital birth costs.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Unfortunately it's too late for that. It's only possible to purchase this type of insurance before someone is pregnant. Once someone is pregnant, insurance companies won't cover these costs since they know the costs of the care will be greater than the premiums you pay. The only option you have is to pay for these costs yourself.

Reactions: BA101

Yashsaxena

Mar 23, 2022
Hi,
It's going to be 6 months for her TRV application.
I am thinking to raise a webform to notify IRCC about her pregnancy.I will get the pregnancy certificate from her gynecologist.
At this time I want her to be in canada with me.
Any suggestions if raising a webform would not cause any concerns...

Yashsaxena

Mar 23, 2022
I don't think a webform will hurt, but I would be surprised if pointing our her pregnancy and your desire to get here here for the birth will have an effect whatsoever. I have never heard of any kind of priority TRV processing for pregnant applicants. If anything, saying she wants to come here to give birth, and to be with you, conveys a strong message that she's not coming as a tourist, but is coming to live with you.
Ah OK...so what can be an option,
I am in fix now, have applied for gcms notes ,It's more than 60 days no response
I have a following options
A) wait for TRV , but don't know when will descion be made.
B) inform IRCC about pregnancy and ask she is alone there and would want child birth to happen in canada( I have read on their website that TRV can be given for child birth in canada)
C) apply for sponsorship and let the child birth happen in India,but will child be added in sponsorship application?

May be there can be more options ;if any one can help
Or may be I am not thinking in right direction

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Ah OK...so what can be an option,
I am in fix now, have applied for gcms notes ,It's more than 60 days no response
I have a following options
A) wait for TRV , but don't know when will descion be made.
B) inform IRCC about pregnancy and ask she is alone there and would want child birth to happen in canada( I have read on their website that TRV can be given for child birth in canada)
C) apply for sponsorship and let the child birth happen in India,but will child be added in sponsorship application?

May be there can be more options ;if any one can help
Or may be I am not thinking in right direction
For B), do you mean birth toursim? I don't think that's what IRCC have in mind. And you have saved up for the cost of child birth in Canada?
If the child is born in India, when you sponsor you wife, your child can be included as dependent of that sponsorship application.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Thanks for that interesting bit of info from the IRCC website.

My concern for you remains that, if the IRCC knows she is in a relationship with you, and you are resident in Canada, they will form the view that she wants to remain here with you after giving birth and that will be seen as an attempt to do an end run around the IRCC's preference in favour of outland applications. But, for all I know, they will see it as a legitimate use of a TRV, to come here, give birth, and apply inland. I somehow don't see the IRCC as being that sporting about the whole thing.
Agree. I don't think the content of the link reads as OP wants it to mean....

Yashsaxena

Mar 23, 2022
her TRV got refused today stating that she has a significant ties to canada and she would not go back.
I am thinking to go for sponsorship now
But she is 2 months pregnant, baby can only be added after the birth? Is there anything I should be mindful of before beginning of application...?

BA101

Champion Member
Nov 29, 2021
her TRV got refused today stating that she has a significant ties to canada and she would not go back.
I am thinking to go for sponsorship now
But she is 2 months pregnant, baby can only be added after the birth? Is there anything I should be mindful of before beginning of application...?
Yes you can add child after and plan to bring them both on VV after AOR