+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My wife is getting a PhD in Quebec. Can I get an open work permit?

gjustus

Feb 21, 2019
Hello,
my wife is currently applying for a PhD in some universities in Montreal and I would like to know if this allows me to apply for an open work permit for the duration of her studies. The Canadian government page tells me the following:

Who can get a work permit as spouse or common-law partner of a student?
Your spouse or common-law partner may apply for an open work permit if you:

• are a full-time student at a:
    • public post-secondary school, such as a college or university, or CEGEP in Quebec
    • private college-level school in Quebec or
    • Canadian private school that can legally award degrees under provincial law (for example, Bachelors, Masters or Doctorate degree) and
  • have a valid study permit.
However, I can't seem to find what are the institutions that fit into that. A local agency has told me that, depending on the institution in which the doctorate is being taken, it's not possible for a spouse to apply for a work permit.

Thanks in advance.

Phoenixation

Star Member
Sep 21, 2017
Hello,
my wife is currently applying for a PhD in some universities in Montreal and I would like to know if this allows me to apply for an open work permit for the duration of her studies. The Canadian government page tells me the following:

However, I can't seem to find what are the institutions that fit into that. A local agency has told me that, depending on the institution in which the doctorate is being taken, it's not possible for a spouse to apply for a work permit.

Thanks in advance.
As long as the institute she gets admission from has a designated learning institute (DLI) code she can get a student visa, and as a dependent you can get a spousal open work permit.

Reactions: gjustus

Phoenixation

Star Member
Sep 21, 2017
That is incorrect. You can apply for a SOWP. A WP is not guaranteed.
Yes, Any "application" to any "government department" throughout the world will have a risk of refusal!! That's how beaurucracy works! I think the OP is well aware of this rule and s/he is asking if s/he is eligible for an SOWP..

Reactions: gjustus

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes, Any "application" to any "government department" throughout the world will have a risk of refusal!! That's how beaurucracy works! I think the OP is well aware of this rule and s/he is asking if s/he is eligible for an SOWP..
Many SOWP for spouses of international students are refused. Because it says you can apply people assume that almost all are approved. It is a common misconception and so many are shocked when they get refused.

Reactions: gjustus and Immstu

gjustus

Feb 21, 2019
Thank you for the answers.

Yes, that's exactly what I meant. Thank you very much. What are characteristics that would make me more susceptible to actually be accepted?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Finances have a big thing to do with it. Can you financially support 2 people if you can't find employment. Advanced degrees seem to help.

Arionhoxha

Jan 27, 2019
Montreal
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
Sydney
NOC Code......
B
Hello,

Thanks in advance.
Yes you can only when she will apply for PHD to write that you will be with her dont do when she will cane in Montreal and after she will request the SOWP because that time is very hard to take that.
Good luck