+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My Wife cannot get SIN Number to work - even though she is now a PR (through spousal sponsorship).

LordX

Apr 24, 2021
We have a semi-unique set of circumstances that stacked up and are now preventing my wife from getting her SIN card in order to work.

We 'soft landed' from the USA into Canada in July of 2021 (soft landing is completing the landing process at the Canadian border without moving yet). We were waiting for a home to finish being constructed.

It finally was finished in August of this year.

However, during this year that we were not living in Canada yet, my wife never got her PR card in the mail. We assumed Covid delays etc.

We sent in the application for a SIN number using the COPR form from the border, only to be told that they only accept that form for 1 year, and after that they WILL not accept it (even though her initial application was 8 days after the year mark!).

So we filled out an application to receive a new PR card... that was 100 days ago.

Is there a way to get a temporary SIN number? Any other way to legitimately work? I can not believe it is this hard to get a SIN number when my wife has the RIGHT to work in Canada.

I have sent in multiple 'web forms' to Immigration Canada, and even called the 800 number. No responses to Web Forms, and the people are the phone have no real access to cases (e.g. they are not the people at the actual processing facility).

We are beyond frustrated. Didn't know where else to ask something like this!

LordX

Apr 24, 2021
Even though we don't have the PR card? Just the copr which is over a year old now. On the phone they said no, denied our online application 3 times even with a letter asking for reconsideration, so I would be surprised that they would waive a rule that they have stuck by so diligently just because we came in person.

If we can find a time to stop in without hours of wait time I guess it couldn't hurt.

What makes you so confident going there in person will yield a different result?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Even though we don't have the PR card? Just the copr which is over a year old now. On the phone they said no, denied our online application 3 times even with a letter asking for reconsideration, so I would be surprised that they would waive a rule that they have stuck by so diligently just because we came in person.

If we can find a time to stop in without hours of wait time I guess it couldn't hurt.

What makes you so confident going there in person will yield a different result?
Perhaps you can try the member of parliament (MP) of your area? Best if the MP is the minister of Immigration Canada.

citizenshipcanada

Sep 1, 2011
We have a semi-unique set of circumstances that stacked up and are now preventing my wife from getting her SIN card in order to work.

We 'soft landed' from the USA into Canada in July of 2021 (soft landing is completing the landing process at the Canadian border without moving yet). We were waiting for a home to finish being constructed.

However, during this year that we were not living in Canada yet, my wife never got her PR card in the mail. We assumed Covid delays etc.

We sent in the application for a SIN number using the COPR form from the border, only to be told that they only accept that form for 1 year, and after that they WILL not accept it (even though her initial application was 8 days after the year mark!).

So we filled out an application to receive a new PR card... that was 100 days ago.

Is there a way to get a temporary SIN number? Any other way to legitimately work? I can not believe it is this hard to get a SIN number when my wife has the RIGHT to work in Canada.

I have sent in multiple 'web forms' to Immigration Canada, and even called the 800 number. No responses to Web Forms, and the people are the phone have no real access to cases (e.g. they are not the people at the actual processing facility).

the status of your wife

where is your wife presently ?
and its clear that you reapplied for a PR all over again ,and walking into a service Canada wont get you a SIN getting one is related to her status .

As of November 1, 2021, you can no longer get your expired Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) extended. If your COPR has expired, you will need to apply for permanent residence again, pay the required fees, and meet the current requirements for selection. The information provided in the below sections no longer applies. For more information on how to apply for permanent residence, download our guide on Immigrating to Canada.

LordX

Apr 24, 2021
the status of your wife

where is your wife presently ?
and its clear that you reapplied for a PR all over again ,and walking into a service Canada wont get you a SIN getting one is related to her status .

As of November 1, 2021, you can no longer get your expired Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) extended. If your COPR has expired, you will need to apply for permanent residence again, pay the required fees, and meet the current requirements for selection. The information provided in the below sections no longer applies. For more information on how to apply for permanent residence, download our guide on Immigrating to Canada.
The COPR document itself doesn't expire until 2031 (it's printed right on it). Her status is a Permanent Resident.

The issue is that the SIN office will not accept the COPR document after 12 months, even though it isn't expired. Just a purely arbitrary time frame that they made up.

We both are living in Ontario.

We didn't re-apply for PR status, we merely re-applied for her PR card which was never received. It has been 104 days since that application. Well over the 60-80 day processing time listed on their web page. I have submitted two different web forms, with no answer to either one.

citizenshipcanada

Sep 1, 2011
The COPR document itself doesn't expire until 2031 (it's printed right on it). Her status is a Permanent Resident.

The issue is that the SIN office will not accept the COPR document after 12 months, even though it isn't expired. Just a purely arbitrary time frame that they made up.

We both are living in Ontario.

We didn't re-apply for PR status, we merely re-applied for her PR card which was never received. It has been 104 days since that application. Well over the 60-80 day processing time listed on their web page. I have submitted two different web forms, with no answer to either one.
the SIN office will not accept the COPR document after 12 months for the obvious reason its related to the timelines
The fact that you didnt receive the PR card although you where living during this time in Ontario and same announced address to IRCC is odd .
as for the PR assuming you applied for a replacement of a card that you never received !!
the big challenge that you are facing now is the high traffic happening with immigration and between the delay and the new PR application you might be triggering another delay .
best thing is to request access to information in relation to the application ( $5) at least you will know hopefully what is pending or what is being processed

LordX

Apr 24, 2021
the SIN office will not accept the COPR document after 12 months for the obvious reason its related to the timelines
The fact that you didnt receive the PR card although you where living during this time in Ontario and same announced address to IRCC is odd .
as for the PR assuming you applied for a replacement of a card that you never received !!
the big challenge that you are facing now is the high traffic happening with immigration and between the delay and the new PR application you might be triggering another delay .
best thing is to request access to information in relation to the application ( $5) at least you will know hopefully what is pending or what is being processed
How do I request that access to information?

BCTechy

Jan 18, 2022
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Online - London VO
NOC Code......
n/a
App. Filed.......
12-01-2022
Doc's Request.
04-10-2022
Nomination.....
n/a
AOR Received.
28-02-2022
IELTS Request
n/a
File Transfer...
01-03-2022
Med's Request
13-03-2022
Med's Done....
23-07-2022
Interview........
n/a

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Has she actually applied for any work and dealt with an employer yet?

You're right she has the right to work. And she does not need the SIN to begin working:
https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/sin/receiving-updating.html

Working while waiting to receive your SIN

Once you have applied for your SIN, you may begin working insurable employment before you receive your SIN.

If they will not accept her application at Service Canada: apply by mail. Keep a copy of what you sent. (Given circumstances, send by registered mail). If there is any part that requires docs you don't have, include a short letter of explanation. Make sure to specify: she IS a PR, she has a document proving that (the COPR), she HAS applied for the PR card, and please provide the SIN on that basis.

Also be sure to write: information about her identity and status as a PR can be confimred directly with IRCC, and you (she) hereby gives permission under Privacy Act or any other applicable legislation for IRCC to share that information with Dept of Employment and Social Development (contact if more explicit permission needed). (I am kind of making that part up but front-running any dumbass response from govt that they can't share that info).

Now note: it is possible - perhaps likely - she will be refused. She should start working anyway (if she can).

I have more thoughts on this I will get to - but short form is, to do anything, she may need a lawyer (later). She'll need the refusal to push back (you have to have something written to have a decent chance of challenging. When/if the refusal comes, maybe a nasty legal sounding letter to E&SD / minister's office will move things along. (Keep in mind that I think that Service Canada is just an agency delivering services on behalf of E&SD, so may claim that only E&SD can change anything)

In the meantime: start the process by applying etc. Also contact MP's office in hope of dislodging the PR card from IRCC.

citizenshipcanada

Sep 1, 2011
Thank you!

I guess it couldn't hurt for $5. Although, if no one has even looked at the application yet because of back log, I could get an empty request back. Right? The application status still just shows 'application received'.... 105 days later.....
the right hand doesnt talk to the left hand under IRCC ,purpose of the access of information is to give you a status that is not shared under the application status .This will be the immigration officer assigned for your case .agents in the call centre only read what they have in front of them , and dont have access to the full file .

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you!

I guess it couldn't hurt for $5.
While i agree with ordering these notes, I warn they may come too late to be of any use (or at least hopefully your case will be resolved before then). They seem to be extremely delayed beyond the target 30 days.

LordX

Apr 24, 2021
While i agree with ordering these notes, I warn they may come too late to be of any use (or at least hopefully your case will be resolved before then). They seem to be extremely delayed beyond the target 30 days.
Yes, I joked with my wife that by the time we get these notes, hopefully we will have the card. But it could be interesting to see the officer's case notes on the file - something you don't get to often see.

I will take some of your above suggestions and try them. I did see the right to work while waiting for your SIN (it was posted on the electronic application when I web filed). The mail is a good trick, as it gives a whole bunch more time before receiving an answer, meaning more time to find and hopefully land a job!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I will take some of your above suggestions and try them. I did see the right to work while waiting for your SIN (it was posted on the electronic application when I web filed). The mail is a good trick, as it gives a whole bunch more time before receiving an answer, meaning more time to find and hopefully land a job!
Please do. And report to others what happens. It really would be useful to consult with a labour lawyer, but of course that may not be for free. It comes up here often enough, more often in specific cases of PRs who never got a SIN (eg as children) and left and came back and for whatever reason can't get a PR card. For them it can be a real hardship and in my view needs to be challenged.

Because you're right: a PR has a right to work, and (in real life) neds a SIN to do so. While govt can make reasonable administrative requirements to document that right (eg one is a PR), it is - after all - another branch of government that can do so (and arguably is the only other entity that can do so).

Or in more simple terms saying 'you need more recent doc than COPR' is not an acceptable response if another wing of govt can provide that confirmation in a matter of minutes with a database search.

After all - CBSA let you in on the basis of the COPR, and they were able to get sufficient information to be satisfied you were a PR, right? If Service Canada can't get that info directly (as CBSA does), it should be able to petition / request that info directly from IRCC (or even CBSA) and get an answer in short order.

It's absurd and should be challenged in courts/law.