+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My Story

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
I wanted to share my side of story. This is just for anyone who might be in similar situation and want to get some words or idea from here

Me and my wife, both employed with Wipro, came from Bangalore to US in 2009. My client did both my canada work visa and US H1b. Gave me an option to join anywhere. At that time, you just want to go abroad and when everyone was opting for US, I did too.

Started working through Wipro in Boston. Initially, it was all about enjoying life in US, saving money and working really hard to earn you spot in clients eyes. I did good. But as you are through desi company, you can only work with clients with little to no expectation of raise or position gain.

Left Wipro and started working for a US based company in 2012. The reason I moved out was because I wanted to have my GC started. New employer started my GC. I got my I140 approved stage with PD of Sep 2012 (In EB2)

For first few years, like many of us, I am just waiting to see if PD for GC moves or not. It moves sometimes and then it retrogress back. This kept on happening and I stopped looking at visa bulletins anymore.

Moved from Boston to NJ in 2014 as I got another good offer with financial firm in NY. As I already had I140 approved, it was not a problem for US employers to port over my H1b.

This was the time of the life when we had our first kid and first house. We were already around 7 yrs total in US. I think after kid, the whole mindset changed from "enjoying life" to "enjoying life with a sense of responsibility now".

I guess all the guys can relate that during your time, after your kid is born, you start to analyse where you are in your life. Are you well settled? Is your kid and family going to be safe here? Can you vision yourself for long term stability?

All the above thoughts came to my mind as well. I was surprised myself as I never ever had these thoughts and discussions within myself with this seriousness

So the ans to all my questions in mind was "NO". I was not stable, not financially or long term basis.

Of course we have this well paying job plus whatever savings you have collected over this time, but I was not satisfied or content. and I found only one ans to this reason. My H1B visa.

I just couldn't see myself spending another 5-10 yrs (or more) waiting for some Green card to come. With all the rules changes happening in US right now, I was even more skeptic that I will ever get it.

After having these thoughts for 2-3 more years, me and my wife did our Canada PR. We got our PR within months. This was a big step in thinking that something you get in months, when something you are waiting from past years and still dont know when you GC will come

Finally moved to Canada on Sep 1, 2018.

Was it all worth it? For me, yes. I am not sure how to explain this but there is this sense of freedom that I never felt back in US. This freedom from my visa is a big relief for me here. I have freedom to work or not to work, to travel for 1-2 months back to my home country with no questions at border, (We all know how it is to travel out and back to US from another country on H1b.). I can call my parents for a extended period of time. My wife can spend more time with our daughter at home without considering what kind of visa she will be on and without any fear of loosing visa just because you dont have a job.

Of course not everything is perfect here, but the reason I was so not content or satisfied in US, I dont feel it here anymore. I like it so far. I am 34 now. I didn't wanted to spend another 10yrs of my life in US waiting for some GC which will come when I am done with most of my life.

Sorry for long post. But wanted to get this out there.

Thanks for sharing your story! Very inspiring!

Could you let us know how was your job search experience in Canada? Since your wife was also working, how did you start hunting jobs? Like did she apply first or did you apply first? What was your plan if the timing of getting jobs didn't match? Like one gets later than other.. were you planning on waiting in US for that circumstance?

harpreethwalia

Star Member
Dec 27, 2017
Thanks for sharing your story! Very inspiring!

Could you let us know how was your job search experience in Canada? Since your wife was also working, how did you start hunting jobs? Like did she apply first or did you apply first? What was your plan if the timing of getting jobs didn't match? Like one gets later than other.. were you planning on waiting in US for that circumstance?
Till now, our overall experience is positive in Canada. My wife still works remotely for her employer in US. I searched for job first (before moving). I am in asset management sector, so i could get my job pretty quickly (within a month).

One I had the job, we moved. We wouldnt have moved unless one of us have secured a job. If my wife does changes her job, she can do on her own terms (no visa restriction as in US)

Few things which we like so far
1) Overall life is little laid back which is what we were looking for. Back in US, we are used to pretty hectic overall day schedule
2) Healthcare is free
3) Government programs like dependent support
4) My employer's RRSP contribution is generous. I never opened 401K back in US because i never thought i will ever make it long in US
5) No visa restrictions. Both me and my wife are PR holders. Does not restrict us

Few other things to mention
1) Salary is not at par with US. I am not comparing and I dont care. But just mentioning if someone does wants to get an idea
2) Overall expenses are higher as compared to whatever salary overall canadians receive
3) Real estate here is a big issue. Big in the sense that the prices of houses and wages does not match. I read somewhere (and I agree) that 60-65% salary goes in rental/mortgage. So need to be careful here.

Our intention was stability for long term with our kid here, Plus freedom on visa side. So we like it here.