Visa Office......
London
Nomination.....
4 jan 2017
AOR Received.
4 February 2017
Med's Done....
08-03-2017
I don't agree with the first part of this. The basis of Canada's immigration policy is to attract highly skilled and educated people into its workforce. The implication is that there are jobs available that will be able to utilize the skills and experience that immigrants bring. The problem is the disconnect between government policies and inward-looking companies that prefer to employ locals with fewer skills or less education over foreigners. It's false advertising on the part of the government whose real purpose is simply to expand its tax base to fund an ageing population, so once the immigrants are here, it doesn't really have much incentive to ensure that their skills and education are being put to good use. It's such a waste.

In my case, I would never have moved if I hadn't had a job lined up (I worked for a global company in my last place and was able to get a job in the office here). I'm so far along in my career that it would have made no sense for me to start over... it would have been a waste of the last several years of my life. I'm sure that's the case for many others. The Canadian immigration system implies that you can pick up around where you left off, but the reality is far different.
I couldn't have put it better myself the government arnt advertising low skilled visas. They would be better to have a visa program for low skilled work ie 5 year renewable visas or something that people who want to come and work those jobs could do im sure there are plenty of people who would love this opportunity. Problem is government and companies are not at all in touch with each other. Therefore a lot of immigrants either struggle or leave which is a pity both ways

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
I don't agree with the first part of this. The basis of Canada's immigration policy is to attract highly skilled and educated people into its workforce. The implication is that there are jobs available that will be able to utilize the skills and experience that immigrants bring. The problem is the disconnect between government policies and inward-looking companies that prefer to employ locals with fewer skills or less education over foreigners. It's false advertising on the part of the government whose real purpose is simply to expand its tax base to fund an ageing population, so once the immigrants are here, it doesn't really have much incentive to ensure that their skills and education are being put to good use. It's such a waste.

In my case, I would never have moved if I hadn't had a job lined up (I worked for a global company in my last place and was able to get a job in the office here). I'm so far along in my career that it would have made no sense for me to start over... it would have been a waste of the last several years of my life. I'm sure that's the case for many others. The Canadian immigration system implies that you can pick up around where you left off, but the reality is far different.
The immigration department have no say within the hiring department of Canadian Companies. Yes there are high skilled job positions that is available in Canada but getting hired for that position is depended on the companies itself. If you have the experience and skills that is similar to what the companies are offering, then I don't see why can't you be hired. You just need to prove to the companies that you can do the job.

Its understandable for companies to hire local applicants because locals are more familiar on what the companies is about and the services or goods that they provide. They know what the target market is like or they themselves have used the goods or services many of times.

One of the interview questions that is most asked is what do you know about our company which allows hiring companies to test the candidate about what they know about the companies. Local applicants have a more easier time to answer this because they know and may have used their services and can describe for indepth about their experience in using such services or goods rather than memorizing what is on the companies website.

pie_vancouver

Jun 12, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
If your field is Finance, or you love numbers, tax season is just around the corner, try volunteering for a few months
CRA has the CVITP -
Community Volunteer Income Tax Program, you will get a certificate from CRA,
you will meet a lot of people in the Community Centres,
you will learn more about Income Tax and it's nice to have a volunteer experience in your resume.

permafrost_can

Nov 16, 2017
Category........
Well what's stopping you from going back to your country? You just don't expect to arrive to a new country as an immigrant and declare that you're worth a 6-figure paycheck, this country doesn't owe you anything buddy. That's a ridiculous attitude to have in the beginning, just FYI.

I spent 3 months looking for jobs, yeah even I expected to land at least an entry level job owing to my vast international experience and degrees but as someone pointed out earlier- businesses wouldn't hire me, probably due to Over qualification or lack of Canadian experience. But I didn't give up and I recently landed a decent survival job which is helping me settle down and hopefully in the future I will work my way to a better job.

When you land here, you should expect to start from the bottom and make it to the top. This is a new country and your past doesn't mean a lot here, so expect a rough beginning. And if you survive that, things would possibly get better. Stop giving excuses and work for your future.
Absolutely. Thank you for this comment.

permafrost_can

Nov 16, 2017
Category........
Sorry but I see a lot of frustration and generalization here.

1. Unless you can prove otherwise, you have not been discriminated. "Lack of Canada experience" is not a discrimination. I am landing soon and am facing this issue, yet do not consider myself being a victim of discrimination (I work in HR).
2. "Ask any Canadian if you doubt me" -> are you expecting any Canadian to back up what you are saying?
3. Regarding your flight and you "6 figure pay check" --> noone forced you to move to Canada and endure such a long flight or going through the long immigration and integration process. That was your choice. If you believe you can get better back home, why would you want to immigrate to another country?

I don't mean to be rude, but before talking about "discrimination", you might want to get some proofs. I appreciate that we are on an online forum, what we say is anonymous etc... but you probably wouldn't say this to someone face to face without being able to back it up with proofs, right?

Applying to 100 jobs is not uncommon. People apply for hundreds jobs before being able to get one. This is called a job market and employers have a large talents pool to chose from, according to their own hiring criteria that you do not know. Other people (including Canadian nationals) might have also faced rejection for the same job, yet do they complain about discrimination?
You said what many of us were thinking. Thank you.

Sydkadra

Star Member
Jun 28, 2014
I didn't really need to read this article. Very depressing for me. I have a steady well-paid job in my country so reading this kind of article (I read lot of articles like this in the forum) makes all my efforts to come to Canada (not to mention all the money I spent) go to waste
Hi There
Though it sounds depressing it is the fact not only for Chris from Australia but most of the Immigrants for other countries as well. There is no respect for the foreign education and experience or there may be not enough jobs at all to place hundreds of applicants for the same role. The problem is that the immigration system works for the immigration department whose job is to bring more and more immigrants and dump here to fend for themselves in the dismal job market. The precarious situation is not limited to immigrants but also to the new graduates and local millennials who are either unemployed or underemployed. My personal advice to all those who are having a good and secure job in their own country to think twice before migrating and be ready to face all eventuality in case they still want to migrate to be even ready to work on minimum wage in the warehouse, construction site, general labor, commissioned based salesman. The only advisable thing for migrating is the offer of a job linked to permanent residentship which could be a successful proposition as far as the commensurate job is concerned.

Sydkadra

Star Member
Jun 28, 2014
Sorry but I see a lot of frustration and generalization here.

1. Unless you can prove otherwise, you have not been discriminated. "Lack of Canada experience" is not a discrimination. I am landing soon and am facing this issue, yet do not consider myself being a victim of discrimination (I work in HR).
2. "Ask any Canadian if you doubt me" -> are you expecting any Canadian to back up what you are saying?
3. Regarding your flight and you "6 figure paycheck" --> no one forced you to move to Canada and endure such a long flight or going through the long immigration and integration process. That was your choice. If you believe you can get better back home, why would you want to immigrate to another country?

I don't mean to be rude, but before talking about "discrimination", you might want to get some proofs. I appreciate that we are on an online forum, what we say is anonymous etc... but you probably wouldn't say this to someone face to face without being able to back it up with proofs, right?

Applying to 100 jobs is not uncommon. People apply for hundreds of jobs before being able to get one. This is called a job market and employers have a large talents pool to chose from, according to their own hiring criteria that you do not know. Other people (including Canadian nationals) might have also faced rejection for the same job, yet do they complain about discrimination?
Your argument is false and doesn't merit the logical response, you curtly blame the person to go back if he fails to get his 6-figure paycheck. Every skilled immigrant moved here on the surety that they would get the job in their own field of expertise and get the earning which is commensurate worldwide based on their qualification and experience. And getting accepted as the probable immigrant to Canada you have to prove that you had a good job and even submit your payslips as proof to the Immigration officials before they get the immigrant visa.
The problem is that the Canadian economy doesn't produce enough jobs needed for the local and immigrant population and hence the immigrants have two choices either to struggle with minimum wage job in the anticipation of getting a good job in the future or go back to their own country without wasting further time and energy toiling here.

Reactions: BenLinus6

Charrington

Star Member
Apr 10, 2016
Visa Office......
London
Nomination.....
4 jan 2017
AOR Received.
4 February 2017
Med's Done....
08-03-2017
It's important everyone makes their own decisions but it's also important they here the good and the bad side of things as well. Some people come here and really struggle and some succeed. Me I left I'm glad I did and got a great job within 2 weeks for great pay back home and couldn't be happier than I made the decision to leave.
Hi There
Though it sounds depressing it is the fact not only for Chris from Australia but most of the Immigrants for other countries as well. There is no respect for the foreign education and experience or there may be not enough jobs at all to place hundreds of applicants for the same role. The problem is that the immigration system works for the immigration department whose job is to bring more and more immigrants and dump here to fend for themselves in the dismal job market. The precarious situation is not limited to immigrants but also to the new graduates and local millennials who are either unemployed or underemployed. My personal advice to all those who are having a good and secure job in their own country to think twice before migrating and be ready to face all eventuality in case they still want to migrate to be even ready to work on minimum wage in the warehouse, construction site, general labor, commissioned based salesman. The only advisable thing for migrating is the offer of a job linked to permanent residentship which could be a successful proposition as far as the commensurate job is concerned.
ust

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
It's important everyone makes their own decisions but it's also important they here the good and the bad side of things as well. Some people come here and really struggle and some succeed. Me I left I'm glad I did and got a great job within 2 weeks for great pay back home and couldn't be happier than I made the decision to leave.

ust
Good for you. Are you aware that immigrants do face similar plight in Australia too? US is best when it comes to recognizing talents without judging them on their country experience. Both Australia and Canada are terrible in that aspect.

Reactions: Lovely_Wings

mattjp1

Jul 23, 2017
Every skilled immigrant moved here on the surety that they would get the job in their own field of expertise and get the earning which is commensurate worldwide based on their qualification and experience. And getting accepted as the probable immigrant to Canada you have to prove that you had a good job and even submit your payslips as proof to the Immigration officials before they get the immigrant visa.
Being accepted as a PR through the skilled workers program, does not guarantee a new comer to find a job. Canada screens and selects immigrants (which is a debate in France where I come from, whether it is good/bad etc...) based on their background. That is it. They do not give us a job along with the PR and finding one is entirely under our responsibility.

To be honest I already find it a privilege to obtain a PR visa relatively easily. I see it as a chance for millions of people to try something new in a great and supportive country. Moving to a new country is not a simple task and for so many reasons, in no way "guaranteed" to success. I believe there is a risk in immigrating to a new country, balancing pros and cons, taking a decision etc.. but if we believe we have a better situation at home, why immigrate somewhere else?

To reply to you saying I blame the person, shortly, I don't. I am just saying that when we're immigrating to a new country, the said country will not unroll the red carpet for us (unless for C-level or highly in demand jobs). If one makes a 6 figures salary where he is now, but working in Canada won't be as interesting financially speaking (different markets, different rates, different taxes or whatever), why move?

Charrington

Star Member
Apr 10, 2016
Visa Office......
London
Nomination.....
4 jan 2017
AOR Received.
4 February 2017
Med's Done....
08-03-2017
I'm not sure what your comparing Australia has a totally different immigration system the permanent migration visa which leads to permanent residency requires a sponsored job so I dunno
How you can say prs coming to Australia don't have work it's a requirement of the immigration system there on the visa for a few years sponsored by a company then get pr. as for short term work visas or youth visas there the same everywhere high paid work is more difficult because of the end date of the visa.

Canada offers pr with no job where as Australia for pr you have to have a
Job so don't really understand how immigrants have a similar situation as there is a sponsored job requirement. Exceptions obviously for family visas etc but that's a small part.

Australia makes sure their pr have jobs Canada they select on skill sets and have a point system which for most applicants requires no job.
Good for you. Are you aware that immigrants do face similar plight in Australia too? US is best when it comes to recognizing talents without judging them on their country experience. Both Australia and Canada are terrible in that aspect.[/

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
I'm not sure what your comparing Australia has a totally different immigration system the permanent migration visa which leads to permanent residency requires a sponsored job so I dunno
How you can say prs coming to Australia don't have work it's a requirement of the immigration system there on the visa for a few years sponsored by a company then get pr. as for short term work visas or youth visas there the same everywhere high paid work is more difficult because of the end date of the visa.

Canada offers pr with no job where as Australia for pr you have to have a
Job so don't really understand how immigrants have a similar situation as there is a sponsored job requirement. Exceptions obviously for family visas etc but that's a small part.

Australia makes sure their pr have jobs Canada they select on skill sets and have a point system which for most applicants requires no job.

Your understanding about Australian immigration is not correct. It is possible to become PR of Australia without job offer. Skilled independent visa - sub class 189 is the Australia's equivalent of Express entry program. Sub class 190 is like PNP. Both programs don't require job offer and one can directly get PR. I was eligible for both PR, but I chose Canada because I live in US and it would be easier to move up north. The entire express entry system itself was modeled using Australian points system.

Since Australia doesn't reduce points based on marital status like Canada, and have wider age bracket for awarding points, if you have good English scores, and experience in a list of occupations published by Australian govt., it is lot easier to get Australian PR than Canadian PR.

One will be awarded points for their IELTS scores, age, work experience and education similar to Canada. If you can score 60 points, you become eligible to be in the pool. Draws are conducted similar to express entry and cut-offs get published too. the only major difference between Canada and Australia is that instead of educational evaluation, one needs to do skill assessment for Australia.

https://www.immiaustralia.com.au/visas/point-test/

Similar to Canadavisa forum, there is a forum for Australian immigration called expatforum where many people post their failed/successful Australian immigration stories.