Visa Office......
London
Nomination.....
4 jan 2017
AOR Received.
4 February 2017
Med's Done....
08-03-2017
hi everyone my names Chris I moved from Australia to Canada and landed in October 2017, so been here 3 months just wanted to give my experiences for everyone who's considering moving here. Everyone's experiences are different however and this is just mine.

I flew into Toronto arriving in the morning the landing process was quite straight forward asked a few questions got me to sign the copr in a couple of places gave me a form and information to fill in my address at a later stage as I didn't have a address yet. I then got a sin number at the airport to allow me to work and then I left. I checked into my accomodation and opened a bank account the same day most banks have new comers to Canada packages so ask for one of these. Most of the banks are fairly similar but always ask and go to a couple to see what's best for your circumstances.

I then stayed in Toronto for a few weeks registered with a couple of agencies in a policy officer/analyst by trade. I have yet to had an interview through these agencies and I registered in October. I then moved to Ottawa to try my luck there I have applied for about 200 jobs so far 2-3 calls.

I then started applying for survival jobs I even had one call centre tell me after an interview my accent would make it to hard for people to understand me so was rejected on this basis . First time as a white Australian I've ever been racially discriminated against.

After analaysing my options I'm heading home to Australia in a couple of weeks after being unable to secure anything reasonable I just work a minimum wage job.

Just a few things to consider for everyone it is fairly closed shop here they mostly like to hire locals and people with local degrees and experience. Only country I have ever been racially discriminated against to. The transport systems are average compared to most developed countries and the health system is ok but still ranked 11/13 of developed countries in the world just below USA and France and wages are much lower than where I'm from.

This is just my experiences which I want to share everyone's are differnt and I hope much more enjoyable these are just things to consider when you are thinking of migrating to Canada.

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
Sorry. Things did not work out for you in Canada.

On a curious note, did you compare Australian and Canadian market for your profession before moving to Canada?

Reactions: Lovely_Wings

Charrington

Star Member
Apr 10, 2016
Visa Office......
London
Nomination.....
4 jan 2017
AOR Received.
4 February 2017
Med's Done....
08-03-2017
Sorry. Things did not work out for you in Canada.

On a curious note, did you compare Australian and Canadian market for your profession before moving to Canada?
Hey yeah I did there similar job descriptions and roles and responsibilities some private sector work but mostly at alll levels of government. There's also no required industry accreditation or qualification necessary to work in Canada in this job.

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hi everyone my names Chris I moved from Australia to Canada and landed in October 2017, so been here 3 months just wanted to give my experiences for everyone who's considering moving here. Everyone's experiences are different however and this is just mine.

I flew into Toronto arriving in the morning the landing process was quite straight forward asked a few questions got me to sign the copr in a couple of places gave me a form and information to fill in my address at a later stage as I didn't have a address yet. I then got a sin number at the airport to allow me to work and then I left. I checked into my accomodation and opened a bank account the same day most banks have new comers to Canada packages so ask for one of these. Most of the banks are fairly similar but always ask and go to a couple to see what's best for your circumstances.

I then stayed in Toronto for a few weeks registered with a couple of agencies in a policy officer/analyst by trade. I have yet to had an interview through these agencies and I registered in October. I then moved to Ottawa to try my luck there I have applied for about 200 jobs so far 2-3 calls.

I then started applying for survival jobs I even had one call centre tell me after an interview my accent would make it to hard for people to understand me so was rejected on this basis . First time as a white Australian I've ever been racially discriminated against.

After analaysing my options I'm heading home to Australia in a couple of weeks after being unable to secure anything reasonable I just work a minimum wage job.

Just a few things to consider for everyone it is fairly closed shop here they mostly like to hire locals and people with local degrees and experience. Only country I have ever been racially discriminated against to. The transport systems are average compared to most developed countries and the health system is ok but still ranked 11/13 of developed countries in the world just below USA and France and wages are much lower than where I'm from.

This is just my experiences which I want to share everyone's are differnt and I hope much more enjoyable these are just things to consider when you are thinking of migrating to Canada.

Sorry to hear it.
You were just caught in a very competitive market (that is valid especially for Toronto).
In order to get through you need to meet at least one of the following conditions:
1. Your skill set is very unique and very wanted (lack of qualified competition)
2. The company needs somebody very fast and they have nobody to fill in properly (lack of available competition)
3. You know somebody to bring your resume directly, so you know that HR will actually read it. (skipping the 500+ resume queue).
4. You will find the offer within 1-3 hours after it is posted and you send out your resume. (early candidate, where HR is actually reading through it).
5. You will attract attention of the HR because of something in your resume (advantage because of affiliation)

And other than that you will be in that 500+ resume pile, which is beyond ones reading capability, so many use bots to search through them and kick out everybody that is either lacking some keyword or has something as a stopper (regardless if it is discriminatory or not, because you will never know how was the company choosing those for the phone interview).
So if you cannot get nr. 1 and nr. 2 depends on luck, you would have to focus on 3 and 4 (5 can be a bit too difficult to estimate).
That is - get connections and be fast.

Other option is to change the market for a smaller city, where you might get through faster.
I know that you have left, but maybe you might try it one more time.
Good luck.

Charrington

Star Member
Apr 10, 2016
Visa Office......
London
Nomination.....
4 jan 2017
AOR Received.
4 February 2017
Med's Done....
08-03-2017
Sorry to hear it.
You were just caught in a very competitive market (that is valid especially for Toronto).
In order to get through you need to meet at least one of the following conditions:
1. Your skill set is very unique and very wanted (lack of qualified competition)
2. The company needs somebody very fast and they have nobody to fill in properly (lack of available competition)
3. You know somebody to bring your resume directly, so you know that HR will actually read it. (skipping the 500+ resume queue).
4. You will find the offer within 1-3 hours after it is posted and you send out your resume. (early candidate, where HR is actually reading through it).
5. You will attract attention of the HR because of something in your resume (advantage because of affiliation)

And other than that you will be in that 500+ resume pile, which is beyond ones reading capability, so many use bots to search through them and kick out everybody that is either lacking some keyword or has something as a stopper (regardless if it is discriminatory or not, because you will never know how was the company choosing those for the phone interview).
So if you cannot get nr. 1 and nr. 2 depends on luck, you would have to focus on 3 and 4 (5 can be a bit too difficult to estimate).
That is - get connections and be fast.

Other option is to change the market for a smaller city, where you might get through faster.
I know that you have left, but maybe you might try it one more time.
Good luck.
Hey thanks for the info I'm sure people reading will find very helpful. As I said it my original post was just my experiences that I had which I wished to share everyone will have a different one

ashu1710

Nov 7, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
21-12-2016

Sorry to hear that. You'd think that Australian experience would be more valued here given the cultural and economic similarities between the two countries. That said, however, you are certainly not being "racially discriminated against". That Canadian companies overwhelmingly prefer local experience over foreign is, unfortunately, a well known fact.

SKguy

Feb 10, 2015
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

Hey man sorry to hear about your experience here so far. Canadian employers can be very close minded that way regarding hiring people with no Canadian education and experience although I know a few Australians working out here in Alberta and doing well. I think like other members mentioned you might have been caught in a very competitive market such as Toronto. So maybe explore options outside and small cities across Canada are more open to hiring people from outside because they want people to relocate there. I think Canada job market has a big factor of who you know from my experience. Referrals go a long way so I would give it sometime and get to know some people if you really wanna stay here. LinkedIn can be very effective

Good Luck!

Reactions: jammin24

vjosi

Jun 23, 2017
tirane
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Rome
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
01-12-2017
Passport Req..
04-06-2018
LANDED..........
18-10-2018
I didn't really need to read this article. Very depressing for me. I have a steady well-paid job in my country so reading this kind of article (I read lot of articles like this in the forum) makes all my efforts to come to Canada (not to mention all the money I spent) go to waste

bossofbees

Star Member
Jan 10, 2017
NOC Code......
Sorry that it did not work out for you. You wrote that you are moving back because you were "unable to secure something reasonable". Does this mean you were not able to find a job as a policy officer/analyst? Being a recently landed immigrant myself, I have heard people say that outsiders need to aim for a junior position in order to gain some local experience first. I know it sounds ridiculous considering how international everybody is nowadays in the age of social media but still they really stress on this part.

Oct 7, 2017
I didn't really need to read this article. Very depressing for me. I have a steady well-paid job in my country so reading this kind of article (I read lot of articles like this in the forum) makes all my efforts to come to Canada (not to mention all the money I spent) go to waste
My cousin had a steady job too but he moved to usa. He is working 12 h a day now. It pays off very slowly everywhere.

sstarrgazerr

Jan 9, 2018
I have a steady well paid job as well. But I live in an unsteady country never knowing what would happen tomorrow or the next month or the next year. I guess lots of us here trade off steady jobs for steady future.

Charrington

Star Member
Apr 10, 2016
Visa Office......
London
Nomination.....
4 jan 2017
AOR Received.
4 February 2017
Med's Done....
08-03-2017
A bit curious to know - sorry for the intrusion. What made you want to leave Australia and try for Canada?
Just wanted to give something else a go I had read a lot of positive things about it before I came.

As I stated before this was an article I wrote on my experiences to let people know. I certainly hope others have a much better experience that I did there. No regrets trying it out just didn't work for me much happier back home.

Reactions: qureishi

Charrington

Star Member
Apr 10, 2016
Visa Office......
London
Nomination.....
4 jan 2017
AOR Received.
4 February 2017
Med's Done....
08-03-2017
Well hopefully it doesent go to waste for you as well, don't let my experiences put you off, you may have a better experience than I had. Having said that just think about whether the risk of trying it out is worth it only you will know that no one else can as it's all on your own experiences and what you want out of life.