+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My PRTD for H&C has been approved, how can I renew my PR card next?

kk_ll

Feb 26, 2023
Hi, All,

I resided in Canada for less than 730 days during the previous 5 years. My daughter has Canadian citizenship (very young) and has lived in Canada with my wife since 2018. Last year, I left Canada for private issues, and then applied for a PRTD for the reason of H&C immediately. After about a year’s waiting, it was finally approved.

Because I had worked in Canada for some time, my family live there for a long time, and I have properties there, and my young daughter is a Canadian as well, my PRTD application seemed to be approved smoothly.

For my situation, I have some questions about the future renewal of my PR card once I enter Canada. Can some friends give me some advice?
  • Will I need to reside in Canada to fulfill the OR of 730 days, then renew it? Or can I renew it once I enter Canada?
  • If later, for the OR part of the renewal application, I don’t know if I need to repeat my H&C reasons in my previous application of PRTD again. I guess if I was issued the PRTD, my OR should be recognized and exempted by IRCC. But if it is necessary, I will do it later, though it seems a bit tricky.

Thanks in advance.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
For my situation, I have some questions about the future renewal of my PR card once I enter Canada. Can some friends give me some advice?
  • Will I need to reside in Canada to fulfill the OR of 730 days, then renew it? Or can I renew it once I enter Canada?
  • If later, for the OR part of the renewal application, I don’t know if I need to repeat my H&C reasons in my previous application of PRTD again. I guess if I was issued the PRTD, my OR should be recognized and exempted by IRCC. But if it is necessary, I will do it later, though it seems a bit tricky.

Thanks in advance.
Does your PRTD (visa) have the RC-1 code?

You can apply to renew the card once you're in Canada. It may take a bit longer b/c of the H&C reasons, or maybe not, but safe to apply. I believe in the application you may have to explain if insufficient days, if so, just reiterate the H&C reasons you had before and note about the PRTD approval and include photocopy of the PRTD.

Do note, while the PRTD is effectively recognition of the H&C reasons, it doesn't absolve one entirely of the residency obligation or remove the non-compliance. So it would be prudent to limit travel abroad to short trips until back in compliance (eg to truly essential). They may approach differently if they believe you aren't really residing in Canada.

MN11

Jun 28, 2022
Hi, All,

I resided in Canada for less than 730 days during the previous 5 years. My daughter has Canadian citizenship (very young) and has lived in Canada with my wife since 2018. Last year, I left Canada for private issues, and then applied for a PRTD for the reason of H&C immediately. After about a year’s waiting, it was finally approved.

Because I had worked in Canada for some time, my family live there for a long time, and I have properties there, and my young daughter is a Canadian as well, my PRTD application seemed to be approved smoothly.

Thanks in advance.
Congratulations on getting your PRTD on H&C. Can you please let me know when did you apply and which visa office you applied to ?? Or you applied online ? Or Portal

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi, All,

Thanks in advance.
You can apply for a new PR card once you enter Canada. You don’t have include all the proof of H&C you submitted for the PRTD if your code says RC-1. You can allude to having included proof of H&C with your PRTD application although not necessary. Will you be returning to Canada to live permanently? Are you still married to your spouse? Your spouse’s ability to sponsor you again if they are a Canadian citizen likely played a large part in your PRTD approval since she could have sponsored you again. You have also been a tax resident for the whole time you were in Canada as well and have also paying Canadian taxes throughout the time on your international income (there may be a tax treaty which would determine how much taxes you owed Canada) and have some establishment in Canada through property and a Canadian child and spouse. Will you be living permanently with your spouse (and daughter) within or outside Canada? You still need to focus on meeting your RO which is 730 days in the past 5 years on any day. Depending on how many days you have spent in Canada you may be compliant or not compliant with your RO at the moment. Once you have a new PR card you likely need to apply for a new health card even if yours is not expired yet. If doesn’t sound like you met the RO to still qualify for provincial healthcare. When you apply you must meet the residency requirement to qualify for healthcare in your province. Assume you informed CRA when you left Canada for the over a year you were away. You will need to call them back if you have returned and become a resident again.

jiffyali

Aug 29, 2023
Hi, me too have the same concern, have you received any reply? Have you received a PR Card ? Can you please share your experience in this matter ?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hi, me too have the same concern, have you received any reply? Have you received a PR Card ? Can you please share your experience in this matter ?
OP posted his/her question and never respond after. I doubt you will get an answer.