+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

MY PR CONCERNS

kshlv

Star Member
Feb 6, 2018
Because they don't know what they are talking about. It does seem difficult to do a 3 year program while maintaining your RO. Also doesn't make much sense if you plan on settling in Canada but that is my opinion.
I know but it is just a personal reason so.. All i wanted to know if it is possible to study there without any issues as long as I can maintain my the required 731 days inside Canada. That is all. Because everybody in yahoo keeps on telling me they won't allow me to study in Ph even if I can accumulate more than 3 yrs of required stay.

kshlv

Star Member
Feb 6, 2018
Because they don't know what they are talking about. It does seem difficult to do a 3 year program while maintaining your RO. Also doesn't make much sense if you plan on settling in Canada but that is my opinion.
But you are sure I can study outside Canada right even if I am a resident of Canada? There will be no issues with that as long as I can accumulate 731 days?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
I posted the same concern in Yahoo answer and someone answered with this:

No, of course not. If you are outside of Canada for 11 months, you are not living here, are you?

You MUST reside in Canada to remain a Permanent Resident of Canada.

No matter how many times you ask about leaving to go to school in the Philippines, the answer is the same - if you do that, you will no longer be residing in Canada. Period. Accept the answer that everyone is giving you, and stop asking. You CANNOT do what you want.

Why do they keep on telling me I cannot stay outside canada for 11 months even if I can accumulate the 731 required days inside Canada?
Completely 100% wrong.

As long as you meet 2 years residency obligation for the past 5 years, then you can spend significant time outside Canada and be fine. Just make sure you never spend more than 1,095 days outside Canada in any 5 year period.

Canada doesn't care if on any given day or year you're living in Canada, they only care about you meeting the 2 in 5 years residency rule, that is it.

You better check that attending school for that long outside Canada will not cause you to violate your RO. If it will or even if it will bring you very close, you might want to reconsider and go to a Canadian school else risk losing your PR status.

Last edited:

meyakanor

Jul 26, 2013
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013
AOR Received.
21-03-2012
Med's Request
21-03-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
I know but it is just a personal reason so.. All i wanted to know if it is possible to study there without any issues as long as I can maintain my the required 731 days inside Canada. That is all. Because everybody in yahoo keeps on telling me they won't allow me to study in Ph even if I can accumulate more than 3 yrs of required stay.
I believe that some people there were confusing physical presence vs. intent to reside.

If we are talking about the US permanent residency (green card), then what they said would be correct (green card holders cannot 'intend' to abandon your residence in the US, whatever that means; so studying outside for 11 months straight would probably be deemed as having abandoned US residency, and may lead to green card revocation).

Since the introduction of IRPA in 2003, Canada has done away with the subjective intent to reside nonsense as a prerequisite to maintain permanent residency (thankfully).

Canada used to have a much more stringent residency requirement, where you need to be in Canada for over 6 months out of the past 12 months, and failing to do so, a PR would need to prove that they did not intend to abandon their residence in Canada. Thankfully, this is no longer the case (since IRPA in 2003).

It's all based on physical presence now (731 days out of the past 5 years, and do not count any day outside this 5-year period), and the requirement to maintain your permanent residency is solely based on the number of days that you are physically present in Canada.

So if you have been a PR for over 5 years, you either have the number of days, or you don't. CBSA can't read your mind with regards to your intent, and nor would they now need to. They would just count the number of days you have, and based on that, you're either in compliance, or you're in trouble.

Last edited:

kshlv

Star Member
Feb 6, 2018
I have one more concern:

i will be renewing my pr card on december but can only stay in canada for a month and i need to leave as soon as i renew my pr. how could i travel without my pr card and is it ok to leave right away?