+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

MY PR CONCERNS

kshlv

Star Member
Feb 6, 2018
I will be renewing my PR on April 2019. Meaning my 5 rolling period will be 2019-2024 As soon as I get my PR card, can I leave Canada for 33 months? (11 months each year because I will be going back in Canada every Christmas Break for a month) I will be studying college in Philippines til April 2022. And right after I graduate I will move back to Canada and fulfill my remaining years in my rolling period which will give me 27 months in total including my christmas breaks, giving me more than 2 years. Enough to complete the required stay to remain my status. Please enlighten me if that is possible because I really want to study back home. Thank you!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I will be renewing my PR on April 2019. Meaning my 5 rolling period will be 2019-2024 As soon as I get my PR card, can I leave Canada for 33 months? (11 months each year because I will be going back in Canada every Christmas Break for a month) I will be studying college in Philippines til April 2022. And right after I graduate I will move back to Canada and fulfill my remaining years in my rolling period which will give me 27 months in total including my christmas breaks, giving me more than 2 years. Enough to complete the required stay to remain my status. Please enlighten me if that is possible because I really want to study back home. Thank you!
I don't think you understand how the rolling period works or what rolling period means. Your rolling period is not going to be 2019-2024.

As a PR, at any time you must be able to look back at the previous five years and have spent at least two of those years in Canada. That's what rolling period actually means. It has nothing to do with the renewal date of your PR card.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Where will you have you been living from 2017-2019? Only if you've been living inside Canada the previous 2 years straight, could you then leave for up to 3 years and still be in compliance with the residency obligation.

kshlv

Star Member
Feb 6, 2018
I don't think you understand how the rolling period works or what rolling period means. Your rolling period is not going to be 2019-2024.

As a PR, at any time you must be able to look back at the previous five years and have spent at least two of those years in Canada. That's what rolling period actually means. It has nothing to do with the renewal date of your PR card.
I have already been here for 4 years since I became a PR. Does that nean i can stay out of the country for 3 years?

kshlv

Star Member
Feb 6, 2018
Where will you have you been living from 2017-2019? Only if you've been living inside Canada the previous 2 years straight, could you then leave for up to 3 years and still be in compliance with the residency obligation.
I became PR last june 2014. I havebeen living gere in canada for the past 4 years. But now I am planning to study in the Philippines from 2019-2022. will that be okay? will i still be a PR of canada or will i lose it if i do that?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
I became PR last june 2014. I havebeen living gere in canada for the past 4 years. But now I am planning to study in the Philippines from 2019-2022. will that be okay? will i still be a PR of canada or will i lose it if i do that?
You can only spend maximum of 3 years outside of Canada is any 5 year period.

So if you plan to be in school outside of Canada for 4 years (or more than 1,095 days), you will at some point be in violation of the residency obligation and will risk having your PR status revoked.

kshlv

Star Member
Feb 6, 2018
You can only spend maximum of 3 years outside of Canada is any 5 year period.

So if you plan to be in school outside of Canada for 4 years (or more than 1,095 days), you will at some point be in violation of the residency obligation and will risk having your PR status revoked.
Oh no. I will only stay in the philippine for less than 3 years. My concern is if I could leave right after the 2nd 5 year rolling period starts? Or do I need to stay in Canada for 2 years first before I can leave for 3 years?

kshlv

Star Member
Feb 6, 2018
Here is my situation:

I am a PR of Canada and have been living here since June 2014, almost 4 years already which makes my first 5 year rolling period to remain me as a PR. Since, I have stayed for 4 years already, I can stay outside Canada for a year, right? Because I have accumulated more than 2 years of required stay here in Canada.

But now, my concern is, my PR card say it will expire on June 2019. So I will renew it on January 2019. Which, for example will make my PR card expiry on January 2024. Now, I am planning to take a 3 years course in the Philippines wherein I am going back and forth in Canada every christmas break until 2022. After I graduate in 2022, I will then stay to canada for good to complete the 2 years requirement to maintain the status. IS THAT POSSIBLE FOR ME TO DO? Basically, I will be inside Canada for 2 years and 3 months, more than enough of the 2 years required stay. IS THERE GOING TO BE ANY PROBLEM WITH THAT? OR AFTER I GET MY RENEWED PR CARD I HAVE TO STAY FOR THE FIRST 2 YEARS INCANADA AGAIN BEFORE I CAN LEAVE THE COUNTRY? I HOPE I DONT CONFUSE YOU ALL. ☹

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Given you are a planning to move back to Canada and have a PR with wouldn't you study in Canada where your degree will be recognized and it will be easier to get a job? Employers prefer seeing a Canadian school or a very well known school when hiring someone especially after graduation.

Rolling residence requirement is (you get the picture):
2016-2021:must live in Canada for 2 years
2017-2022:must live in Canada for 2 years
2018-2023: must live 2 years in Canada
2019-2024: must live 2 years in Canada
2020-2025: must live 2 years in Canada
2021-2026: must live 2 years in Canada

Last edited:

meyakanor

Jul 26, 2013
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013
AOR Received.
21-03-2012
Med's Request
21-03-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
FORGET the expiration date of your PR card.

To determine if your PR status is in good residency standing, take today's date, then go back 5 years. If you have 731 days, you're fine. If you have fewer, you're in trouble. PR card expiration date does not matter in this case (it matters when you board a plane back to Canada, but not to determine whether your PR status is in good standing).

PR card renewal is similar. At the date you want to renew your card, go back five years, and count the number of days you are in Canada (only the last five years, nothing outside this period). If you have 731 days, you're fine, if you have less, you're in trouble.

Since you have lived here for 4 years, maybe you should consider getting Canadian citizenship (the Philippines allows dual citizenship). That way, you can stay outside for as long as you want, and not having to worry about Canadian residency requirements anymore.

kshlv

Star Member
Feb 6, 2018
FORGET the expiration date of your PR card.

To determine if your PR status is in good residency standing, take today's date, then go back 5 years. If you have 731 days, you're fine. If you have fewer, you're in trouble. PR card expiration date does not matter in this case (it matters when you board a plane back to Canada, but not to determine whether your PR status is in good standing).

PR card renewal is similar. At the date you want to renew your card, go back five years, and count the number of days you are in Canada (only the last five years, nothing outside this period). If you have 731 days, you're fine, if you have less, you're in trouble.

Since you have lived here for 4 years, maybe you should consider getting Canadian citizenship (the Philippines allows dual citizenship). That way, you can stay outside for as long as you want, and not having to worry about Canadian residency requirements anymore.
So it means as long as I can accumulate 731 days every rolling period even while studying out of Canada then that means i won't lose my status?

meyakanor

Jul 26, 2013
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013
AOR Received.
21-03-2012
Med's Request
21-03-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
So it means as long as I can accumulate 731 days every rolling period even while studying out of Canada then that means i won't lose my status?
Yes, but make sure you actually really understand what a 'rolling five year period' means. Since you have been a PR for over five years, go back five years from any date, and make sure you have the required number of days. And do NOT count any day outside this five year period.

So say you're planning to come back to Canada on Feb 1 2021, then go back five years to Feb 2 2016, make sure you have 731 days or more within this period. You cannot count your early days that were before Feb 2 2016. If you have 731 days or more, you're good. If you don't, you're in trouble.

Last edited:

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Here is my situation:

I am a PR of Canada and have been living here since June 2014, almost 4 years already which makes my first 5 year rolling period to remain me as a PR. Since, I have stayed for 4 years already, I can stay outside Canada for a year, right? Because I have accumulated more than 2 years of required stay here in Canada.

But now, my concern is, my PR card say it will expire on June 2019. So I will renew it on January 2019. Which, for example will make my PR card expiry on January 2024. Now, I am planning to take a 3 years course in the Philippines wherein I am going back and forth in Canada every christmas break until 2022. After I graduate in 2022, I will then stay to canada for good to complete the 2 years requirement to maintain the status. IS THAT POSSIBLE FOR ME TO DO? Basically, I will be inside Canada for 2 years and 3 months, more than enough of the 2 years required stay. IS THERE GOING TO BE ANY PROBLEM WITH THAT? OR AFTER I GET MY RENEWED PR CARD I HAVE TO STAY FOR THE FIRST 2 YEARS INCANADA AGAIN BEFORE I CAN LEAVE THE COUNTRY? I HOPE I DONT CONFUSE YOU ALL. ☹
As was mentioned, the dates on your PR card are irrelevant for calculating residency obligation. PR card is just a travel document to get you on an airplane.

If you will return to Canada say in May 1, 2022, then you need to calculate your days in Canada from May 1, 2017 - May 1, 2022. If you have 730 days in Canada over these past 5 years, then you are fine. If you don't, then you would be in danger of having your PR status revoked regardless if your PR card is still valid.

kshlv

Star Member
Feb 6, 2018
As was mentioned, the dates on your PR card are irrelevant for calculating residency obligation. PR card is just a travel document to get you on an airplane.

If you will return to Canada say in May 1, 2022, then you need to calculate your days in Canada from May 1, 2017 - May 1, 2022. If you have 730 days in Canada over these past 5 years, then you are fine. If you don't, then you would be in danger of having your PR status revoked regardless if your PR card is still valid.
I posted the same concern in Yahoo answer and someone answered with this:

No, of course not. If you are outside of Canada for 11 months, you are not living here, are you?

You MUST reside in Canada to remain a Permanent Resident of Canada.

No matter how many times you ask about leaving to go to school in the Philippines, the answer is the same - if you do that, you will no longer be residing in Canada. Period. Accept the answer that everyone is giving you, and stop asking. You CANNOT do what you want.

Why do they keep on telling me I cannot stay outside canada for 11 months even if I can accumulate the 731 required days inside Canada?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I posted the same concern in Yahoo answer and someone answered with this:

No, of course not. If you are outside of Canada for 11 months, you are not living here, are you?

You MUST reside in Canada to remain a Permanent Resident of Canada.

No matter how many times you ask about leaving to go to school in the Philippines, the answer is the same - if you do that, you will no longer be residing in Canada. Period. Accept the answer that everyone is giving you, and stop asking. You CANNOT do what you want.

Why do they keep on telling me I cannot stay outside canada for 11 months even if I can accumulate the 731 required days inside Canada?
Because they don't know what they are talking about. It does seem difficult to do a 3 year program while maintaining your RO. Also doesn't make much sense if you plan on settling in Canada but that is my opinion.