+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

my partner is a student and i applied for open work permit.

Jan 6, 2024
My partner is a student and i applied for my open work permit in August 26th,got a response that application is on final decision December 7th,2023.To this day im still waiting.It has been 5 months and 1 week im waiting.Any thing anyone suggest i do?

Thank you

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My partner is a student and i applied for my open work permit in August 26th,got a response that application is on final decision December 7th,2023.To this day im still waiting.It has been 5 months and 1 week im waiting.Any thing anyone suggest i do?

Thank you
All you can do is wait. You can apply for GCMS notes to see what is going on with your application. It is not unusual to wait for around 6 months for the response to an SOWP application and SOWP is not guaranteed for international students. This was the case even for applications before new policies.

Jan 6, 2024
All you can do is wait. You can apply for GCMS notes to see what is going on with your application. It is not unusual to wait for around 6 months for the response to an SOWP application and SOWP is not guaranteed for international students. This was the case even for applications before new policies.
Thank you for the reply.Ah man,well i wud wait and see.6 Months is on the 17th of this month.I already have my visitor extension extended.One of my friend and his partner got it in 4 months.They came a month before me and he is an international student.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you for the reply.Ah man,well i wud wait and see.6 Months is on the 17th of this month.I already have my visitor extension extended.One of my friend and his partner got it in 4 months.They came a month before me and he is an international student.
Are they common law? Establishing that you are common law could lead to longer processing times. The type of degree seems to influence which partners or international students get approved for SOWP. For example spouses or common law partners international students attending masters or PhD programs seem to have a higher chance of SOWP approval.

Jan 6, 2024
So i have hope it wud come through
Are they common law? Establishing that you are common law could lead to longer processing times. The type of degree seems to influence which partners or international students get approved for SOWP. For example spouses or common law partners international students attending masters or PhD programs seem to have a higher chance of SOWP approval.
Nah they not common law,they are married but in terms of school they are in the same class as my partner and doing the same exact diploma.