+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My mother (grandmother of my children) allowed entry

MattFS218

Apr 2, 2016
My mom is American.

I am her adult son. I have Canada PR.

My son (her grandson) has Canada PR/Canada Passports

Can my mother travel to Canada as an "immediate family" member? The most recent language seems to indicate only "dependent children" count as immediate family members, and of course I am an adult and am not dependent on my mom. I would like my mom to return my son (her grandson) from San Francisco to Vancouver, and likely stay in Vancouver 1-2 months.

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
My mom is American.

I am her adult son. I have Canada PR.

My son (her grandson) has Canada PR/Canada Passports

Can my mother travel to Canada as an "immediate family" member? The most recent language seems to indicate only "dependent children" count as immediate family members, and of course I am an adult and am not dependent on my mom. I would like my mom to return my son (her grandson) from San Francisco to Vancouver, and likely stay in Vancouver 1-2 months.
What does "Canada PR/Canada Passports" mean? If your son has a Canadian passport he does not have PR, he is a citizen.

As for your mother, parents are allowed as immediate family. Dependent children refers to the non-Canadian in the equation, not you.

MattFS218

Apr 2, 2016
I have Canada PR.

One of my son's (my mother's grandson) has Canada PR, the other son (also her grandson) has Canadian citizenship.

https://www.canada.ca/en/border-services-agency/news/2020/06/changes-to-travel-restrictions-for-immediate-family-members-of-canadian-citizens-and-permanent-residents.html

seems to indicate she (my US citizenship mother) does not have an immediate family member

An immediate family member refers to a person’s:
a) spouse or common-law partner;
b) dependent child, as defined in section 2 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations, or a dependent child of the person’s spouse or common-law partner;
c) dependent child, as defined in section 2 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations, of a dependent child referred to in paragraph (b):
d) parent or step-parent or the parent or step-parent of the person’s spouse or common-law partner;
e) guardian or tutor.

for "b", I am her adult (non-dependent son)
for "d", her mother/father are dead, and never had Canada PR/citizenship

So again, I am unsure if she can gain entry to be with her grandchildren/dependent son

mashulia_26

Apr 6, 2018
I have Canada PR.

One of my son's (my mother's grandson) has Canada PR, the other son (also her grandson) has Canadian citizenship.

https://www.canada.ca/en/border-services-agency/news/2020/06/changes-to-travel-restrictions-for-immediate-family-members-of-canadian-citizens-and-permanent-residents.html

seems to indicate she (my US citizenship mother) does not have an immediate family member

An immediate family member refers to a person’s:
a) spouse or common-law partner;
b) dependent child, as defined in section 2 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations, or a dependent child of the person’s spouse or common-law partner;
c) dependent child, as defined in section 2 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations, of a dependent child referred to in paragraph (b):
d) parent or step-parent or the parent or step-parent of the person’s spouse or common-law partner;
e) guardian or tutor.

for "b", I am her adult (non-dependent son)
for "d", her mother/father are dead, and never had Canada PR/citizenship

So again, I am unsure if she can gain entry to be with her grandchildren/dependent son
She can enter as a parent of a PR/citizen (which is you) but has to have a 14day quarantine plan.

Reactions: MattFS218