+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

MY LANDING EXPERIENCE AND OBSERVATIONS

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
umassd said:
Landed in Toronto Pearson International Airport on Jan 18, 2017 (short landing, stayed 4 days)

Completed the declaration card on the flight. Upon arrival at the airport the immigration officer asked the purpose for my visit. Since I had left the number of days I will stay in Canada cell blank, she was a little ticked-off. I explained her that I am here to complete the landing procedure so was not sure what to put. She entered a capital I. She asked me if I have a detailed list of good to follow; I answered affirmatively and she then directed me to the secondary. There was a small line so took me about 20 min before I was called by another officer. She was really nice and asked me why was I sent to secondary. I showed her my COPR and she updated my flight information on COPR and asked me to sign it. She asked why are my kids not accompanying me and if I have a spouse. She also asked about the funds I had on me. I told her that I have $500 CAD cash and a letter from my bank confirming I have sufficient funds. She did not bother to see any of that. She then asked for an address where they can send the PR Card. I provided her my friend's address. It took her a while to update in the system as GCMS at first did not accept the address. She asked for help and was able to figure it out. After few minutes she handed back to me my passport and a signed copy of COPR and welcomed me to Canada. She asked me to keep my COPR with my passport until I get my PR Card and after that put it away in a safe place as I will need for my citizenship application. I inquired about SIN and Service Canada desk; she informed me that they no longer have a service desk at the airport due to construction so I should just google nearest location once I get to my destination in Canada.

From there I was directed to customs, where I informed the agent that I have goods-to-follow so I was directed to secondary. There was no line so I was called right away. The officer asked for copy of COPR and list of goods to follow. Thanks to this forum, I had a detailed list and two copies. The officer quickly updated information in the system, stamped my list of goods-to-follow and printed a receipt that showed I owed no duty/taxes on the goods. It took about 15 minutes as due to error she had to create a second receipt. She then walked me to exit and wished me all the best.

Since I was staying downtown I took UP express to union station. Walked to my hotel and dropped off my luggage and took subway to city hall. Told the agent that I am here to apply for SIN. He asked me for papers; showed him COPR stapled to my passport. He gave me a number and a form to complete. My number was called within 20 minutes. It took 10 minutes to make sure my landing records were updated in the system. The agent generated a SIN for me and explained how it works.

I stayed in Toronto for four days; visited lot of places and found people to be really friendly. Spoke with many people and learned a lot about the city. Overall a very pleasant experience. I want to thank you all and this forum for sharing information and guiding me throughout this process.
Congratulations! Thanks for taking time to share this information! +1

sammoe

Star Member
May 20, 2016
umassd said:
Landed in Toronto Pearson International Airport on Jan 18, 2017 (short landing, stayed 4 days)

Completed the declaration card on the flight. Upon arrival at the airport the immigration officer asked the purpose for my visit. Since I had left the number of days I will stay in Canada cell blank, she was a little ticked-off. I explained her that I am here to complete the landing procedure so was not sure what to put. She entered a capital I. She asked me if I have a detailed list of good to follow; I answered affirmatively and she then directed me to the secondary. There was a small line so took me about 20 min before I was called by another officer. She was really nice and asked me why was I sent to secondary. I showed her my COPR and she updated my flight information on COPR and asked me to sign it. She asked why are my kids not accompanying me and if I have a spouse. She also asked about the funds I had on me. I told her that I have $500 CAD cash and a letter from my bank confirming I have sufficient funds. She did not bother to see any of that. She then asked for an address where they can send the PR Card. I provided her my friend's address. It took her a while to update in the system as GCMS at first did not accept the address. She asked for help and was able to figure it out. After few minutes she handed back to me my passport and a signed copy of COPR and welcomed me to Canada. She asked me to keep my COPR with my passport until I get my PR Card and after that put it away in a safe place as I will need for my citizenship application. I inquired about SIN and Service Canada desk; she informed me that they no longer have a service desk at the airport due to construction so I should just google nearest location once I get to my destination in Canada.

From there I was directed to customs, where I informed the agent that I have goods-to-follow so I was directed to secondary. There was no line so I was called right away. The officer asked for copy of COPR and list of goods to follow. Thanks to this forum, I had a detailed list and two copies. The officer quickly updated information in the system, stamped my list of goods-to-follow and printed a receipt that showed I owed no duty/taxes on the goods. It took about 15 minutes as due to error she had to create a second receipt. She then walked me to exit and wished me all the best.

Since I was staying downtown I took UP express to union station. Walked to my hotel and dropped off my luggage and took subway to city hall. Told the agent that I am here to apply for SIN. He asked me for papers; showed him COPR stapled to my passport. He gave me a number and a form to complete. My number was called within 20 minutes. It took 10 minutes to make sure my landing records were updated in the system. The agent generated a SIN for me and explained how it works.

I stayed in Toronto for four days; visited lot of places and found people to be really friendly. Spoke with many people and learned a lot about the city. Overall a very pleasant experience. I want to thank you all and this forum for sharing information and guiding me throughout this process.
Thanks for sharing. All the best!

neelita07

Star Member
Mar 29, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
SGVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June '14
Nomination.....
October '14
AOR Received.
December '14
umassd said:

Hello, thank you for sharing your experience. I am also planning for short time landing. Since you stayed for 4 days only... how you will get your PR card? Did they take your photo for PR card? Or you provided those? Please share.
Is it okay to mention the officer that I am here for short stay, only to complete landing procedure?

canada_pk_sg

Nov 23, 2014
Hello friends,

I have somewhat of a difficult question - I will be landing in Vancouver for the first time after getting the PR visa on my passport - The problem is that my family is in Toronto where I will ask the PR card to be sent as I will be traveling back to Singapore due to work.

So, will that be a problem at immigration at Vancouver, if I tell them that my permanent address is going to be in Toronto?

Thank you for your answers in advance

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
canada_pk_sg said:
Hello friends,

I have somewhat of a difficult question - I will be landing in Vancouver for the first time after getting the PR visa on my passport - The problem is that my family is in Toronto where I will ask the PR card to be sent as I will be traveling back to Singapore due to work.

So, will that be a problem at immigration at Vancouver, if I tell them that my permanent address is going to be in Toronto?

you can explain to the officer that you don't have "your own" address yet, but would like to have it forwarded to your family's address in Toronto. Shouldn't be an issue.

However as the PR card is an important document, the officer needs to be assured that you will be present in Canada by the time it arrives - you would have to satisfy that concern somehow - i'll leave that one to you.

umassd

Jan 25, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa (likely)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
04-03-2016
neelita07 said:
Hello, thank you for sharing your experience. I am also planning for short time landing. Since you stayed for 4 days only... how you will get your PR card? Did they take your photo for PR card? Or you provided those? Please share.
Is it okay to mention the officer that I am here for short stay, only to complete landing procedure?
Sorry for my delayed response. Yes, it is okay to inform the officer that you are only staying for a short while and plan on coming back permanently once you have wrapped-up all the affairs in your country of residence. I was not asked for any photos. I am having PR card shipped to a friend's address in Toronto. I am not yet sure on how to get it to me. All the best!

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
August 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
Some officers get pissed when they're told the immigrant is only there for short landing.
Some don't even like the mentioning of "friends address".

Just tell them its your address (you made arrangements afterall) and that you're there to land as PR. If they ask about spouse/kids and why they're not with you, tell them they will come after few days, etc. Give them the address for PR Card mailing. No need to volunteer any extra information. Keep it short and precise. Answer only whats asked.

You only face airline check-in and then security when leaving Canada.....nobody cares if u leave after a day or even same day...

Reactions: Eddie lambardo

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
August 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
neelita07 said:
You can give a friend's address if possible (ask friends permission ofcourse).
No need for any forms or photos for PR Card. It will automatically be generated as part of landing procedures.

There is no need to tell them all your plans at the airport. Just give the mailing address for PR Cards.
Even if you're here for limited time.

fahad04

Nov 22, 2014
Saskatchewan
canvis2006 said:
Some officers get pissed when they're told the immigrant is only there for short landing.
Some don't even like the mentioning of "friends address".

Just tell them its your address (you made arrangements afterall) and that you're there to land as PR. If they ask about spouse/kids and why they're not with you, tell them they will come after few days, etc. Give them the address for PR Card mailing. No need to volunteer any extra information. Keep it short and precise. Answer only whats asked.

You only face airline check-in and then security when leaving Canada.....nobody cares if u leave after a day or even same day...
+1

kamy

Feb 1, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canvis2006 said:
You can give a friend's address if possible (ask friends permission ofcourse).
No need for any forms or photos for PR Card. It will automatically be generated as part of landing procedures.

There is no need to tell them all your plans at the airport. Just give the mailing address for PR Cards.
Even if you're here for limited time.
Is PR card also issued for spouse and kids if you land without them?

canada11

Feb 7, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-Jul-2014
VISA ISSUED...
02-Jul-2015
LANDED..........
15-Sep-2015
They will get PR card on their arrival

kamy said:
Is PR card also issued for spouse and kids if you land without them?

kamy

Feb 1, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks canada11 and emamabd.

SGtoCAD

Jan 27, 2017
canada_pk_sg said:
Hello friends,

Fellow immigrant from Singapore, nice to hear someone from SG moving to canada since the no 1 choice of destination for immigration is Australia. LOL!

AnshulAwasthi

Star Member
Mar 21, 2016
Hello everyone,

I just received a PPR e mail. I am in Toronto and wanted to know if there is anyone who completed the landing while being in Toronto? what is the procedure and which border did you use. I would appreciate your input.

Anshul