+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My landing experience and a few tips: BC PNP, Peace Arch (Douglas) border point

Empirical-Scientist

Jun 4, 2012
souss said:
@ Empirical-Scientist

Thank you for this great post.
I just received my imm visa and will go soon to the borders to land.
Do you know what am i supposed to declare as goods that i have and goods to follow? I have been in Canada for the last 3 years (student then worker) do i declare the things that i already have?

Also, i have a US visa, can i go spend the day in the US and land on my way back or should i must do the flag-pole thing?
Thanks!
Congratulations on the visa!

I didn't declare any goods I have or those that shall come at all and I have been here for four years. However, it's always wise to check with the border agents for goods that might follow.

Regarding the landing, I'd go for Occam's Razor, alegorically speaking. In other words, don't complicate your situation. Land, and forget about visiting the US for a day. You'll have plenty of days later :).

kum25

Apr 20, 2012
Empirical-Scientist said:
My PR card arrived yesterday. Here comes the process to an end. Now on to citizenship! Good luck to all!
Hi,

Has your E-cas changed after landing?

Empirical-Scientist

Jun 4, 2012
kum25 said:
Hi,

Has your E-cas changed after landing?
In my case it changed to Complete some time after I landed, but in general it may not change. That doesn't mean anything in the end for as long as you've landed successfully.

Bukonla80

Oct 11, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-10-2011
Doc's Request.
05-03-2012
Nomination.....
30-06-2012
AOR Received.
Application received at CIO 29-08-2012, CC charged on 22/10/2012, AOR received on 27/10/2012
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
Medical Request received on 26-11-2012 from Accra VO
Med's Done....
7-12-2012; 25/2/2013 furtherance medical test requested - Medicals Received 12-06-2013
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
Received Passport Request on 19-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
22-08-2013
LANDED..........
01-2014
waoh! nice one........hoping to land sometime in march 2013

rylai crestfall

Star Member
Sep 23, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CEM
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
dec 2010
Nomination.....
july 2011
AOR Received.
Feb 2012
File Transfer...
Dec 2011
Med's Request
Feb 20, 2012
Med's Done....
Mar 6, 2012
Passport Req..
Oct 2, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Oct 19, 2012
LANDED..........
Nov. 28, 2012
if i may, i would like to join this thread. can i ask anybody who has landed in Canada if there is a minimum amount of money that is needed before letting you into Canada? I've heard that what you declared in the application is the same amount you should bring upon landing. please comment on this. reply appreciated. :D

rylai crestfall

Star Member
Sep 23, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CEM
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
dec 2010
Nomination.....
july 2011
AOR Received.
Feb 2012
File Transfer...
Dec 2011
Med's Request
Feb 20, 2012
Med's Done....
Mar 6, 2012
Passport Req..
Oct 2, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Oct 19, 2012
LANDED..........
Nov. 28, 2012
You can come with $0 or even with debts if you want. The point is to declare amounts of $10K or more upon entry. No worries.
thanks for clarifying this one. :D

sukhiii

Dec 22, 2012
Hi,

I have a sitatuation. I am expecting to get my passport request in next few days and i am going to india in febrary for vacation.
1. What if i get the passport request a week before i am going to india or when i will be in india?.....i know i wont get it back within a week and i will come back to canada on 23 march 2013(going to india on 13 febrary 2013). Everything is planned from last year, very hard to change anything. Going back home after 3 years.
2. If i get the passport request next week, what will be the instructions to me about going to india and coming back? Will i be able to go to india and come back right after i get my visa stamped and before applying PR card? I mean before being a landed immigrant?

Please Help
Thank you

Empirical-Scientist

Jun 4, 2012
Technically, you have 60 days to send your passport from the day you receive that request, assuming you're going through the BC PNP International Postgraduate Pilot Program, as I did. That leaves you with a two-month window. In my opinion, you should weigh your situation. Is the vacation in India more important than getting the PR smoothly?

apple_talk

Feb 28, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa (Pilot)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-12-2007
Doc's Request.
25-11-2011
AOR Received.
16-01-2012
IELTS Request
Not required
File Transfer...
16-04-2012
Med's Request
20-06-2012
Med's Done....
20-06-2012
Passport Req..
04-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
21-01-2013
LANDED..........
13-02-2013
Hello PR contendents,

As you may notice from my timeline, I landed on Thursday 2012-06-07 at the Douglas point of entry, which is located on the Peace Arch Provincial Park, Whiterock, BC (i.e. near Vancouver).

First off some background: My application stream was the BC PNP International Post-graduate Pilot Program. I got a Master's degree in BC and that's why I was qualified to go for that stream. It lasted less than 6 months from the time I submitted my CIC application, for a total of less than 10 months.

To complete the landing, I corralled the following documents:

1) Passport + COPR (2 copies, one without a photo)
2) Study and work permits (just in case)
3) Original BC PNP Letter of Acceptance (just in case)
4) BCID card with my current address on it as well as two envelopes mailed directly to me within the last two weeks to prove my current residence address
5) A folder with photocopies of all the applications I ever did for my PR under the aforementioned stream.

Note that number 1 and 4 above turned out to be necessary. The rest served as backups.

To land, I took bus 351 from Bridgeport station down to Whiterock (17th Ave and 152 St. bus stop, to be precise). Then, I called a cab (Pacific cabs at 604-596-6666) to go right to the Canadian Customs building. The cab driver knew exactly where to go -- he parked by the lot in front of the Canadian border point. The fare for this short ride was $15.

I got out of the cab and ran into a couple of Canadian border agents. I asked them what I should actually to do flag-pole. They said I should walk towards the U.S. border control by going through the Peace Arch Park sidewalk. Yes, they now have a pedestrian walkway. On the Canadian side it's located on the east; then, as you cross the International Border Milestone, located parallel to the Peace Arch, you turn right to get on the U.S. sidewalk. Follow the cars, but stick to the sidewalk!

After that, a U.S. agent will most certainly ask what you're walking for. Just mention the keyword, flag-pole, and they'll direct you to get into their building. When you get inside, an officer will ask you whether you've got your orange sheet of paper with you. If you're walking, then you won't have an orange paper; rather, you'll just wait in some line and get the letter of "refusal" from the US agent. This line is pretty fast, since very few do the crossing on foot.

Within 10 minutes and in full kindness on the American side, I got the flag-pole letter and was instructed to go back to Canada from the walkway I entered. On the Canadian side, you usually follow the sidewalk to the first border control point. The agent will look at the flag-pole letter and your passport and immigration visa, will ask you whether you've got $10K or more in your pocket (and you'll probably say no), will issue you a yellow sheet of paper, and will finally instruct you to get into the Canadian customs building. Note that you'll read a letter (A, B, or C) handwritten on your yellow sheet. That letter will instruct you to wait in the appropriate line-up inside the building.

Inside the building, you'll wait in line until called up to the next available agent to have your document reviewed. They'll collect whatever they need to see (in my case, they asked for documents (1) and (4) above). Then, they'll ask you to sit and wait. Within 15 minutes they'll call you with the COPR attached on the opposite page as the immigration visa, unless you'll need to be interviewed. In my case, the agent called me, congratulated me, and asked if I had any questions.

I asked her "When are you going to say it?" Stunned, she replied, "Say what?" I go, "Welcome to Canada!" She smiles in some impression of relief and says the same...

Good luck to all! Let me know if you have any questions.
very good & helpful post :)

Empirical-Scientist

Jun 4, 2012
Groundbeaver said:
Very helpful! I just have my medical done on Feb. 8th, 2013. Hope I can have the same timeline with yours!
Good luck! Although, I'm told the PG PNP has been proceeding a very slow paces since the closure of the Buffalo office.

canadiara

Jan 17, 2013
Hello PR contendents,

As you may notice from my timeline, I landed on Thursday 2012-06-07 at the Douglas point of entry, which is located on the Peace Arch Provincial Park, Whiterock, BC (i.e. near Vancouver).

First off some background: My application stream was the BC PNP International Post-graduate Pilot Program. I got a Master's degree in BC and that's why I was qualified to go for that stream. It lasted less than 6 months from the time I submitted my CIC application, for a total of less than 10 months.

To complete the landing, I corralled the following documents:

1) Passport + COPR (2 copies, one without a photo)
2) Study and work permits (just in case)
3) Original BC PNP Letter of Acceptance (just in case)
4) BCID card with my current address on it as well as two envelopes mailed directly to me within the last two weeks to prove my current residence address
5) A folder with photocopies of all the applications I ever did for my PR under the aforementioned stream.

Note that number 1 and 4 above turned out to be necessary. The rest served as backups.

To land, I took bus 351 from Bridgeport station down to Whiterock (17th Ave and 152 St. bus stop, to be precise). Then, I called a cab (Pacific cabs at 604-596-6666) to go right to the Canadian Customs building. The cab driver knew exactly where to go -- he parked by the lot in front of the Canadian border point. The fare for this short ride was $15.

I got out of the cab and ran into a couple of Canadian border agents. I asked them what I should actually to do flag-pole. They said I should walk towards the U.S. border control by going through the Peace Arch Park sidewalk. Yes, they now have a pedestrian walkway. On the Canadian side it's located on the east; then, as you cross the International Border Milestone, located parallel to the Peace Arch, you turn right to get on the U.S. sidewalk. Follow the cars, but stick to the sidewalk!

After that, a U.S. agent will most certainly ask what you're walking for. Just mention the keyword, flag-pole, and they'll direct you to get into their building. When you get inside, an officer will ask you whether you've got your orange sheet of paper with you. If you're walking, then you won't have an orange paper; rather, you'll just wait in some line and get the letter of "refusal" from the US agent. This line is pretty fast, since very few do the crossing on foot.

Within 10 minutes and in full kindness on the American side, I got the flag-pole letter and was instructed to go back to Canada from the walkway I entered. On the Canadian side, you usually follow the sidewalk to the first border control point. The agent will look at the flag-pole letter and your passport and immigration visa, will ask you whether you've got $10K or more in your pocket (and you'll probably say no), will issue you a yellow sheet of paper, and will finally instruct you to get into the Canadian customs building. Note that you'll read a letter (A, B, or C) handwritten on your yellow sheet. That letter will instruct you to wait in the appropriate line-up inside the building.

Inside the building, you'll wait in line until called up to the next available agent to have your document reviewed. They'll collect whatever they need to see (in my case, they asked for documents (1) and (4) above). Then, they'll ask you to sit and wait. Within 15 minutes they'll call you with the COPR attached on the opposite page as the immigration visa, unless you'll need to be interviewed. In my case, the agent called me, congratulated me, and asked if I had any questions.

I asked her "When are you going to say it?" Stunned, she replied, "Say what?" I go, "Welcome to Canada!" She smiles in some impression of relief and says the same...

Good luck to all! Let me know if you have any questions.
hello there empirical-scientist, thank you for the very helpful post. i have been agonizing on how to do this. i got the esta approval from the us and it seems i just spent 14$ for nothing. i have till 2015 to activate so it won't go to waste ;D
i have two questions for you:
1. i have been looking at google maps for the sidewalk you mention and i can't seem to find it.
2. this has nothing to do with the flag poling, i was wondering what your masters was on.

thanks