Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
jadwig said:
Hey Avi,

What you're experiencing is called cultural shock brought on by the intricacies of adjusting to a new environment. In an attempt to relieve the pressure on you, you have come across as arrogant by comparing Canada to the supposedly 'superior' place you're coming from. What you fail to realise is that you'll not be in Canada in the first place if where you are coming from was so 'welcoming'. You also sound offended at seeing so many immigrants in Toronto. What were you expecting? Are you not an immigrant too? or were you thinking the FSW programme was designed for you only?

As you have failed to respond to many questions posed to you on this thread, it is apparent that going back to US is no option for you. My advice to you is to sit up and integrate. Look at the positives, you have a land that accepts you and you don't have to look over your shoulder every time you drive on the street thinking immigration or law enforcement officials are after you. Make the best of the opportunity you've been offered by Canada and stop sulking!

Wish you all the best.

PS: Always expect responses to anything you post in a public forum. Attaching a caveat is not sufficient. I expect your response to my post as well but keep it civilised. This is Canada, not US.
Very well put, Sir/Ma'am.

gjp

Star Member
Feb 15, 2008
Having come from the US, I have to agree with most of what Avi said. I agree to his comparison of the cost between USA and Canada. But I do not agree with his comments on immigrants, honking, speeding, customer service. I have not come across any rude customer service representative here. Probably, it was a bad experience for Avi. Anyone coming from the US will agree to the cost comparison Avi is making and it does matter for most of us because it relates to our every day life. I am not sure why other people are getting offended when Avi made a correct comparison in terms of cost. I would suggest people to take a trip down south to compare the difference yourself. The variety and option you get in US at a better price, I bet you will not get in Canada.
When comparing health care, people say that health care is costly in USA while it is free in Canada and so costwise it balances out. Infact, it does not. Especially for people who had good job in the US, the company for which you worked provided you health insurance. Of course you had to pay premiums. But it was not exorbidantly high as most people think.
At the same time, I am in no way showing Canada in bad light. I love living here and I do not have any intention of moving back to USA. I am paid here better than USA. I like the multi-ethicity and multi-cuisine that is present here. I see many other positives here. But when it comes to cost and/or shopping, we certainly think USA is better. I think only people who have lived in USA can appreciate what Avi has said. Again, I appreciate only what he has said about the cost and not about what he has said about Canadians.

harry_aussie

Jun 16, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27/05/2011
AOR Received.
25/07/2011
File Transfer...
15/08/2011
Med's Request
15/12/2011
Med's Done....
19/12/2011
Interview........
WAIVED !!!!!/ Casual interview with visa officer on 5/3/2012
Passport Req..
21/2/2012, submitted on 27/2/2012
VISA ISSUED...
1/3/2012, valid till 20/12/2012, collected on 5/3/2012
LANDED..........
Landed,16 September 2012
Dear c-pekar,

You are free to express your views but please show respect to senior members like Qorax Sir.

I can only say that my wife is studying in Canada and she mentions to me that college staff is rude with international students.

Personally i spoke to a doctor where my wife had her medicals in Canada and the doctor was realy rude. I have also come across 5 people from CIC ottawa regarding my GCMS notes and i am not at all happy with my first experience in dealing with a public office. The way they work is wayward and lousy.

These are my personal experiences till now but i wont weigh whole of Canada in same scale.

Regarding US vs Canada. I can only say that anyone who has studied economics will easily know the fact that any country in this world can not match the might of US economicaly. The money that has been used in the correction phase of US economy , if lost by other countries could have made their foreign reserves pennyless.

DR Who

Nov 11, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-Apr-2011
Doc's Request.
PER 18-May-2011
AOR Received.
RBVO 17-June
File Transfer...
In-Proc 16-July
Med's Request
19-Jul-2011
Med's Done....
16-Aug-2011, Med received in Ecas 9-Oct-2011
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
PPR 1 on 29 Oct -2011/ PPR 2 on 7 Nov - 2011
VISA ISSUED...
9-Nov-2011
LANDED..........
29 May 2012
I have lived in the States and it is a nice country. I am sure Canada is a nice place too and from what I can recall from my sole visit there it was a politer place starting with the very polite Canadian border staff. I am currently research Canadian cost of living as I intend to land there in the summer, it does seem quite a bit more expensive than USA. Specially compared to Southern US. Housing is significantly more expansive in particular as well as car insurance.

I like warmer climates so for me USA is more suitable. But the thing is that Canada awards permanent residencies to families like mine. Canada then tries to help landed immigrants settle by giving free medical insurance and provides child support.

I am grateful to Canada for giving PR to my family and that more than compensates for the higher cost of living.

In all honesty, if USA would also give PR to my family than I would personally choose to live in the warmer climate with lower cost of living.

Zelda82

Star Member
Jul 25, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Canadian Embassy Manila (CEM)
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sent: 04-07-2011 via FedEx | Received by CIO: 08-07-2011 10:45AM signed for by M.KRSZWDA.
AOR Received.
30-09-2011 from CIO via email.
IELTS Request
Sent Band8.
File Transfer...
eCas In Process: 09-10-2011 | 2nd AOR Received: 19-10-2011 from CEM via email | CEM Verification Call: 24-10-2011 09:00AM.
Med's Request
24-10-2011 | Received via mail: 26-10-2011.
Med's Done....
28 to 29-10-2011 at Timbol Clinic | PCC&RPRF Sent: 29-10-2011 via CEM dropbox @ RCBC | RPRF encashed: 04-11-2011 | Meds Sent: 17 & 22-11-2011 | Meds Received: 28-11-2011.
Passport Req..
16-01-2012. Passport Sent: 23-01-2012.
VISA ISSUED...
31-01-2012
LANDED..........
27-03-2012
to the original poster, where exactly in US have u lived and for how long? and where are u now living in canada?

thebeast184

Champion Member
Feb 21, 2011
Calgary, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
OCT 2010
Doc's Request.
Submitted with App
AOR Received.
FEB 2011
IELTS Request
Submitted w App
Med's Request
Aug 2012
Med's Done....
Sep 2012
Passport Req..
Oct 2012
VISA ISSUED...
NOV 2012
LANDED..........
JAN 2013
Avi,

Thanks for sharing your point of view. Can you please provide info on where in the US you lived?

Thanks,
ROd

avi_15

Jul 18, 2010
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-Aug-2010
Doc's Request.
Sent with the App
AOR Received.
16-Dec-2010
IELTS Request
Sent
File Transfer...
16-Dec-2010
Med's Request
25-July-2011 reached 02-Aug-2011
Med's Done....
30-Aug-2011 reached 8-Sep-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
03-Nov-2011 reached 7-Nov-2011
VISA ISSUED...
18-Nov-2011 reached 25-Nov-2011
LANDED..........
03-Feb-2012
I have lived in Minneapolis, Chicago and Los Angeles. And i moved to Toronto

canadastar

Star Member
Feb 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 2011
Doc's Request.
Oct 2013
Med's Request
Oct 2013
Med's Done....
Oct 2013
Passport Req..
Dec 2013
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 2013
LANDED..........
Soon
DR Who said:
I have lived in the States and it is a nice country. I am sure Canada is a nice place too and from what I can recall from my sole visit there it was a politer place starting with the very polite Canadian border staff. I am currently research Canadian cost of living as I intend to land there in the summer, it does seem quite a bit more expensive than USA. Specially compared to Southern US. Housing is significantly more expansive in particular as well as car insurance.

I like warmer climates so for me USA is more suitable. But the thing is that Canada awards permanent residencies to families like mine. Canada then tries to help landed immigrants settle by giving free medical insurance and provides child support.

I am grateful to Canada for giving PR to my family and that more than compensates for the higher cost of living.

In all honesty, if USA would also give PR to my family than I would personally choose to live in the warmer climate with lower cost of living.
Who

he is 100% correct, my brother is in canada, he comes here to buy cloths once in a every 6 months.

aimraje

Feb 18, 2012
explorer101 said:
1. I pay $4 ( 2 %)for a gallon of milk. Never bought over $4.50, butter brick at $ 2.50 or less.
2. I dont pay any bank fee, my cheques comes free, wire transfer in US is not free and so is here
3. I have no north american driving record , so i pay $ 290 a month as car insurance and i know after 2 years it would be $120
4. No gun culture as in US, I am sure that there would be no shoot outs on the streets and in the school and my kid would definately reach home intact.
5. Insurances are high and so are collusion repairs and people in canada drive more cautiously, when i go to US i meet jerks on the way and feel quite good on crossing back to Canada. That is why one see so many police cars in US.
6. I dont pay anything to doctors, hospitals and labs. I walk home free. My flashing health card takes care of me and after some years i will get free medicines also.
7. Canada is no doubt different from US. When US gives marching orders to leave US , Canada allows permanent residency.
8. 2 months rent- first and last is a trend worldwide. Buy your own house, rent it out and dont take 2 months of rent.
9. US people are rude, abusive and they dont talk, they shout. I am in customer service and i feel it that Canadians are very receptive. They dont use f word all the time.
10. Honking, where , i am waiting to hear it. It is close to 2 years now. a little warning to draw attention or alert, is it also called honking.
11. No doubt Canada looks expenisive. when one see the health and other benifits i feel it is not,
12. I am happy Canada is no mirror image of US.
12( a) I dont make 80 k, i even dont make 60 k, still i am having good life in Canada. Have own 3 bedroom beautiful Condo, drive big car and have $$ in bank. Go out for vacation, dine out, drink a lot etc etc
13. I fail to understand why some people immigrate to Canada and talk about US? US is not the only place in the world where one can live happily .
I would say Love it or leave it
WOW! VERY WELL SAID... THANK YOU.. :)

zub2612

Jul 11, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Probably never.
I met many american desi people and I found most of them arrogant. I never been to USA. Last year, I was planning to start business there, but in May 2011 one of our innocent relative who was working at store, was shot dead by a robber. After that I never wanted to go there.

I have visited Canada twice. I simply love the country and can't wait when I will settle there permanently.

Aquib

Apr 19, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 2010
Doc's Request.
March 2010
AOR Received.
JULY 2010
IELTS Request
SUBMIT WITH APPLICATION
File Transfer...
FEB 2010
Med's Request
09 FEB 2012
Med's Done....
27 Feb 2012
Interview........
Medical received 12 March
Passport Req..
15 April 2012
VISA ISSUED...
30 April 2012
LANDED..........
Sep 18 2012 Shuker Allah.
asbereth said:
I was wondering about that too. I had 5+ years of driving experience in the States, and only paid roughly 135 per month (for full cover) about 2 years ago when I first got to Canada. Now it's 120 per month (still more expensive than in the States, but not that outrageous). I too know several other people that are paying much less than 450 per month, and they all have driven less than 2 years in North America. Now the type of your car might affect your policy obviously, but 450 per month seems way too much.
What about if we got 5 year no claim gained in UK.
I pay £ 32 per month for 2004 BMW 320. Fully compressive insurance .
Also as much I know I can swap my uk licence with Ca one without any issue .

I too feel UK is much better then Ca but still Ca is one who giving PR Which i can't get in Uk till I stay 3 more year .

AAL1984

Nov 1, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville Alberta
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-08-2011
LANDED..........
Nov 2012
I have to agree with the costs, Canada can be more expensive for everyday items, just is what it is. UK is even more expensive than Canada, and so are places like Norway and Sweden.

I've had the opportunity to live in both Canada, the US, and Europe, I personally like Canada the best, but that's just my opinion.

I mean yes the U.S is cheap, but there is a reason it's cheap, just like Mexico is even cheaper than the U.S, crappy places tend to be cheaper. For example my wife's family lives in a nice part of Houston Texas, a nice suburban community built around 2005, you can get a very large house there for around 200K.

However, even there , there are robberies all the time, etc..She was shocked at how much safer and cleaner Calgary was.

In terms of jobs, go to Houston, you find tons of immigrants with high end degrees working at gas stations, there is no paradise down there either. Also the cost of University is much much higher than Canada, many people simply can't afford going to University and end up going to some useless community college.

In Canada I was able to go to a great University and graduate with my Bachelors, and go on to obtain my CA designation, and obtain a great job which pays me more money than I need.My university cost was about $25,000, which my parents paid for easily. In the U.S if I had gotten the same degree it would have cost much more, and many students who graduate are far more heavily in debt than Canadian students, it's not uncommon to find students who are 80K-100K in debt.

Further in Houston property values are low, they don't rise much. In Calgary my we bought a condo for 150K in 1999, and sold it for around 400K in 2006.

My family has made so much more money in Calgary than anywhere else.

AAL1984

Nov 1, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville Alberta
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-08-2011
LANDED..........
Nov 2012
Tesqo said:
What about if we got 5 year no claim gained in UK.
I pay £ 32 per month for 2004 BMW 320. Fully compressive insurance .
Also as much I know I can swap my uk licence with Ca one without any issue .

I too feel UK is much better then Ca but still Ca is one who giving PR Which i can't get in Uk till I stay 3 more year .
UK better, I can understand people saying US, but UK??? UK is a tiny overcrowded island, very high taxes, littered streets, crappy little houses which cost much more money, it is a complete dump, no jobs, so many British people leave everyday to Australia, Canada, US etc..

Canada destroys UK in almost every category.

now

VIP Member
Aug 7, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
already sent
Nomination.....
[img]http://canflag.com/images/canflag/ani1/cf2.gif[/img]
AOR Received.
PER, 15.12.2011
IELTS Request
sent, 8 bands
Med's Request
Med's Done....
1.6.2012 Meds. delivered: 25.6.12. Meds.rec. line on ecas:29.7.12
Passport Req..
PPR 1 16.11.2012 :) DM:19.11 12 PPR 2:10.01.13
VISA ISSUED...
10.01.2013 :) Received, 7.02.13
LANDED..........
jadwig said:
Hey Avi,

What you're experiencing is called cultural shock brought on by the intricacies of adjusting to a new environment. In an attempt to relieve the pressure on you, you have come across as arrogant by comparing Canada to the supposedly 'superior' place you're coming from. What you fail to realise is that you'll not be in Canada in the first place if where you are coming from was so 'welcoming'. You also sound offended at seeing so many immigrants in Toronto. What were you expecting? Are you not an immigrant too? or were you thinking the FSW programme was designed for you only?

As you have failed to respond to many questions posed to you on this thread, it is apparent that going back to US is no option for you. My advice to you is to sit up and integrate. Look at the positives, you have a land that accepts you and you don't have to look over your shoulder every time you drive on the street thinking immigration or law enforcement officials are after you. Make the best of the opportunity you've been offered by Canada and stop sulking!

Wish you all the best.

PS: Always expect responses to anything you post in a public forum. Attaching a caveat is not sufficient. I expect your response to my post as well but keep it civilised. This is Canada, not US.
Very eloquent...this is hitting the nail on the head.

AAL1984

Nov 1, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville Alberta
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-08-2011
LANDED..........
Nov 2012
However back to the op, I can understand your frustration.

I feel like Canada is becoming really stupid and taking in too many immigrants for whom there are no Jobs.

The reality is Canada just needs cheap labor, I don't know why they bother with this skilled worker list etc..it is completely useless.

Canada needs labor workers from places like Mexico, and Canada also needs some skilled trade people, that's it.

By inviting all these highly educated people into Canada, we are only creating an army of depressed bitter and angry immigrants, who hate this country. I feel very sorry for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.