+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My husband is sponsoring me

crochetdonna

Apr 20, 2009
My husband is a Canadian citizen he was born in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. He is going to sponsor me to get my Permanent Residency to Canada. But we are just at the very beginning of the process. I have a ton of question so I hope you all don't mind me asking.

First is on my husband Sponsor Questionnaire IMM 5540 question 11, its ask are you currently living in Canada? the answer to that is no of course, then the second part says when do you plan to return to Canada to resume residency? We don't know the exact time this will happen. It wants a month, day and year. We will be coming as soon as I get my residency card, the children get their citizenship cards. They will be citizens believe cause they are his children and he was born in Canada. So what do we put here in this question. We are hoping it will be sometime next year. And while we are talking about this part. Once I receive notice I have been approved how long do we have to get into the country. What I read on the internet says that we have to be in the country when I receive the permanent residency so will they just send me a confirmation letter and when I get to the boarder they will issue the card or what? Sorry if these questions seem stupid, I have never even traveled outside of the US so this is all new and foreign to me. We just don't want to get into a situation where they say your approved and he can't transfer his job at that time or what not. We have kids that will need to be taken out school and moved so it will be a big process we wont be able to just up and move when they say I can go. That is why I am asking. By the way my husband wanted me to say in case it matters that he is a truck driver and his company has terminals in Windsor, ON and in Detroit so this is the area we are planning to settle. But transferring his job will take time. He wont be able to just walk in one day and say ok I am ready to go even though they know he is planning this. They have to check with those terminals and make sure they have openings and what not first.

The second question is from the Financial Evaluation IMM 1283 it is question #12 it is asking for the amount of line 150 on your Option C printout issued by the Canadian Revenue Agency well he has not worked in Canada so do we just put "Not Applicable" in this area and leave it blank and fill out the other income information.

The Third question is from the Application To Sponsor and Undertaking IMM 1344 A. It is asking me to list all my dependent children that will be accompanying me or that wont be accompanying me. Ok I understand from reading why the ones not accompanying me have to be listed so if at a later date they want to come to the country we will be able to apply for them. But my question is this. The children that will be coming with me all 4 of them will be Canadian citizens so do I still list them, also two of those are my step children that my husband has full custody of. I hope this makes sense.

Thanks for all your help,

Donna

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
HI

crochetdonna said:
My husband is a Canadian citizen he was born in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. He is going to sponsor me to get my Permanent Residency to Canada. But we are just at the very beginning of the process. I have a ton of question so I hope you all don't mind me asking.

First is on my husband Sponsor Questionnaire IMM 5540 question 11, its ask are you currently living in Canada? the answer to that is no of course, then the second part says when do you plan to return to Canada to resume residency? We don't know the exact time this will happen. It wants a month, day and year. We will be coming as soon as I get my residency card, the children get their citizenship cards. They will be citizens believe cause they are his children and he was born in Canada. So what do we put here in this question.

Pick a date, any date, about a year in advance, the sponsor should enclose a letter stating that once his spouse receives the COPR that they will be returning to Canada. Should also outline what the plans are for schooling/employment/housing

We are hoping it will be sometime next year. And while we are talking about this part. Once I receive notice I have been approved how long do we have to get into the country.

If the visa (COPR ) is issued it will be valid for entry for 1 year from the date of the medical or expiry of the passport, whichever comes first.

What I read on the internet says that we have to be in the country when I receive the permanent residency so will they just send me a confirmation letter and when I get to the boarder they will issue the card or what?

No, once the overseas office is ready to issue the visa, they will request your passport, and a COPR will be attached. When you have your passport returned you head to Canada and at the Port of Entry your PR will be processed.

Sorry if these questions seem stupid, I have never even traveled outside of the US so this is all new and foreign to me. We just don't want to get into a situation where they say your approved and he can't transfer his job at that time or what not. We have kids that will need to be taken out school and moved so it will be a big process we wont be able to just up and move when they say I can go. That is why I am asking. By the way my husband wanted me to say in case it matters that he is a truck driver and his company has terminals in Windsor, ON and in Detroit so this is the area we are planning to settle. But transferring his job will take time. He wont be able to just walk in one day and say ok I am ready to go even though they know he is planning this. They have to check with those terminals and make sure they have openings and what not first.

The second question is from the Financial Evaluation IMM 1283 it is question #12 it is asking for the amount of line 150 on your Option C printout issued by the Canadian Revenue Agency well he has not worked in Canada so do we just put "Not Applicable" in this area and leave it blank and fill out the other income information.

He will have submit proof from the US of his income, ie copy of income tax, salary receipts.

The Third question is from the Application To Sponsor and Undertaking IMM 1344 A. It is asking me to list all my dependent children that will be accompanying me or that wont be accompanying me. Ok I understand from reading why the ones not accompanying me have to be listed so if at a later date they want to come to the country we will be able to apply for them. But my question is this. The children that will be coming with me all 4 of them will be Canadian citizens so do I still list them, also two of those are my step children that my husband has full custody of. I hope this makes sense.

Re read the application, as 4 children are Canadians there are not shown on the application, the 2 step children I assume are not Canadians? If they are under 22 and single or attending school full time since the age of 22 are not married nor in a c/law relationship have to be included on the application. If they are over 18 they are required to complete the IMM 008 and the IMM 5406 as well. They would require police certificate if they are over 18 from both the FBI and any state where they have lived since turning 18 for more than 6 months. You and they would require medicals as well.

Thanks for all your help,

Donna
PMM

crochetdonna

Apr 20, 2009
So do I understand you right in that since my children are Canadians I do not have to list them as my dependent children on the sponsorship and undertaking application?

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
crochetdonna said:
So do I understand you right in that since my children are Canadians I do not have to list them as my dependent children on the sponsorship and undertaking application?
That's correct. You will include them on the Additional Family Information form.

crochetdonna said:
We just don't want to get into a situation where they say your approved and he can't transfer his job at that time or what not. We have kids that will need to be taken out school and moved so it will be a big process we wont be able to just up and move when they say I can go. That is why I am asking. By the way my husband wanted me to say in case it matters that he is a truck driver and his company has terminals in Windsor, ON and in Detroit so this is the area we are planning to settle. But transferring his job will take time. He wont be able to just walk in one day and say ok I am ready to go even though they know he is planning this. They have to check with those terminals and make sure they have openings and what not first.
You don't have to actually move to Canada immediately . . . when you receive your COPR you need to travel to a Canadian port of entry and "land" (in other words, have your process finalized by signing some forms) before the expiry, and you will need to provide the officer processing your landing with an address in Canada where they can mail your PR card. But after landing you are free to return to the US to finalize your affairs and prepare to move. Just keep in mind that there is no need to mention your intention to do this to the officer processing your landing.

IMHO, the biggest issue you're going to face in getting approved for permanent status is proving that your husband actually intends to re-settle in Canada. They can be very "picky" about this when someone is actively living and working in another country and claiming they intend to come back to Canada if there is no proof of a job offer or housing arrangements . . . even if you put a date that's a year or so out there. And from what you're saying, your husband has no way of knowing right now if or when his company will have a position available. If he has family in Canada you might include declarations from them that they are willing to provide support and housing for your family when you arrive in Canada - and definitely indicate that your husband is working for a company that has facilities in Canada where he expects to go to work. He might even be able to get some sort of documentation from his company that they will hire him when he's back in Canada, without committing to a date. This is by far one of the hardest things for sponsors who live outside Canada to do because it's nearly impossible to estimate when a PR application will be finalized so that you can make arrangements for housing, etc., but CIC pretty much requires that those arrangements be made or they are hesitant to approve the application.

crochetdonna

Apr 20, 2009
I have another question for you all. I have been reading on here about the unaccompanied dependents. I have three girls two are adults they are 18 and 20, the 18 year old also has a daughter that is 11 months old. The other girl is 13. The two oldest wont be coming they have their own lives and the 13 year old doesn't want to come either so she will be staying with her oldest sister that is 20 and I will be signing over guardianship to her. But my question is I see that even though they aren't accompany me to Canada that they will have to have the exam too. If for some reason they turn their medical down will that keep me from getting my PR or will it just stop them from ever being sponsored to come to Canada? Also do I have to include my granddaughter as well on the application or not?

Thanks for your help.

raycrawford

Star Member
Dec 27, 2008
Not sure if it is acceptable but where they ask for a date when I plan to re establish myself in Canada, instead of typing a date I wrote, "when my spouse gets a PR to live in Canada."

I do not plan to re establish until she can accompany me no matter how long it takes.

Regards,

Raymond.

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
when the sponsored applicant is the Mother of two kids - who are one is 3 years old, & another is 8 years old - & she does not want them to accompany her now due to some reasons. Will it be possible for her to apply for their PR status once the application is approved & she living with her husband in Canada?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
crochetdonna said:
I have another question for you all. I have been reading on here about the unaccompanied dependents. I have three girls two are adults they are 18 and 20, the 18 year old also has a daughter that is 11 months old. The other girl is 13. The two oldest wont be coming they have their own lives and the 13 year old doesn't want to come either so she will be staying with her oldest sister that is 20 and I will be signing over guardianship to her. But my question is I see that even though they aren't accompany me to Canada that they will have to have the exam too. If for some reason they turn their medical down will that keep me from getting my PR or will it just stop them from ever being sponsored to come to Canada? Also do I have to include my granddaughter as well on the application or not?

Thanks for your help.
You should include all your dependents, also the grandkid. It would really be best if they have their medical but if they flat out refuse to, you might be able to fix it with CIC that they refuse and you can't make them. It would stop them from ever being sponsored in the future. These are not the ones who are citizens though right because if they are, of course they don't need to have medical and don't need to be sponsored.

One thing though, ask the 13 yo. if she wont get sponsored for PR too. Even if she doesn't want to come, it's an open door. She doesn't have to use it but there's no reason to slam it shut either. She can land with you, get her PR and go back. If she visits you in Canada for a month a year, she will not have lost her PR due to residency requirements by the time you apply for citizenship and because kids do not have to fulfill residency requirements for citizenship, she can go in on your application and get dual. Who knows when dual can come in handy.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Suin said:
when the sponsored applicant is the Mother of two kids - who are one is 3 years old, & another is 8 years old - & she does not want them to accompany her now due to some reasons. Will it be possible for her to apply for their PR status once the application is approved & she living with her husband in Canada?
Yes, she includes them as non-accompanying dependents, they have the medical and she can sponsor them later.