+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My FIL in Hong Kong Doesn't have a Birth date

sillything

Sep 30, 2018
Hi all,

Quick run down, my wife's submission was sent in March 9, OWP June 27. All seemed to be going well until September 21, we received 2 huge lists of request.

One of the particular request was to explain my father in law's birth date. He was born in Hong Kong during the early 40s when the Japanese invaded. He doesn't have a birth certificate. On his Hong Kong passport and Hong Kong ID, there is only the year in which he was born. No date, No month. His birthday is celebrated according to the lunar calendar , which changes every year when you translate it back to our "regular calendar"

Requested is a hand written explanation of why the birthday is unknown.

My immigration consultant keeps telling me to get a letter from the Hong Kong Government to explain this no birthday ordeal, so my father in law went to the government office to make an oath stating his birthday. Now apparently that will raise more questions.. as to why he suddenly has a birthday now. My consultants want me to get a letter from Hong Kong immigration to explain why one of their citizens does not have a birthday and why they were issued IDs without one. Basically, the HK immigration department laughed at my Father in laws face when asking for a letter explaining why.

Apparently, it is quite common for older people to NOT have an exact birth date in Hong Kong due to the war..

I am stumped as to what to do now.. our case can't be the first Hong Kong person without a birth date..

zt2018

Apr 6, 2018
I think your consultants are asking you to provide what can not be provided. Just write an explanation letter, state the facts as you did above, may be have it notarized. IRCC is quite familiar with various life situations, and your father in law situation is not very unusual. I've seen several PR cards issued recently which have XX -XX instead of day and month of birth.

Reactions: sillything

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi all,

Quick run down, my wife's submission was sent in March 9, OWP June 27. All seemed to be going well until September 21, we received 2 huge lists of request.

One of the particular request was to explain my father in law's birth date. He was born in Hong Kong during the early 40s when the Japanese invaded. He doesn't have a birth certificate. On his Hong Kong passport and Hong Kong ID, there is only the year in which he was born. No date, No month. His birthday is celebrated according to the lunar calendar , which changes every year when you translate it back to our "regular calendar"

Requested is a hand written explanation of why the birthday is unknown.

My immigration consultant keeps telling me to get a letter from the Hong Kong Government to explain this no birthday ordeal, so my father in law went to the government office to make an oath stating his birthday. Now apparently that will raise more questions.. as to why he suddenly has a birthday now. My consultants want me to get a letter from Hong Kong immigration to explain why one of their citizens does not have a birthday and why they were issued IDs without one. Basically, the HK immigration department laughed at my Father in laws face when asking for a letter explaining why.

Apparently, it is quite common for older people to NOT have an exact birth date in Hong Kong due to the war..

I am stumped as to what to do now.. our case can't be the first Hong Kong person without a birth date..
I'm not sure why your consultant is trying to make this more difficult. There is no need to get official documentation. Just submit a letter explaining the situation as you have here.

Reactions: sillything

sillything

Sep 30, 2018
I think your consultants are asking you to provide what can not be provided. Just write an explanation letter, state the facts as you did above, may be have it notarized. IRCC is quite familiar with various life situations, and your father in law situation is not very unusual. I've seen several PR cards issued recently which have XX -XX instead of day and month of birth.
That is what I am thinking too. They are asking for a lot of things that the government did not ask in the checklist to be provided as well. I think just a letter of explanation is very sufficient.

I'm not sure why your consultant is trying to make this more difficult. There is no need to get official documentation. Just submit a letter explaining the situation as you have here.
That is exactly my thought. I was holding off for almost 2 weeks before making this post trying to get the letter. My consultants seem to want a lot more information provided compared to what the IRCC check list is asking for and it's seriously stressing me and my wife out trying to get these information. eg, IRCC wants my option C and new employment letter, my consultants made me go to my accountant and request a interim finical report along with option C and employment letter. IRCC want my 6 years worth of utility bills, but I only started owning a house this year, so all prior years the bills were under my parents name, but my consultants say I have to provide those prior bills as well even though they weren't under my name. off topic / rant