+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

my expreience entering Canada with PR expring in 3 month

yazmost

Star Member
Apr 27, 2007
Hello all,
Just want to share my experience with you. I have been silent member in this forum. I have been out of country for almost 3 years actually more than 3 my wife has been almost 4 years and she is H1B in states. We came through US-Canad borders with our car and we exported the car to Canada same day. drove the car full of luggage. Went to the lanes of borders was busy day. I looked and searched the lane that goes faster and cars move faster and then wen to that lane.
Me: Hello
Officer: Hi there
Officer, where do u live
Me in "city in Canada"
how long u have been out?
Me 10 days
gave my pr and wife and 3 kids
officer never ask my wife or kids any question then told me to go to the customs building and park the car there and go inside to do the formalities to import the car. Went there officers were VERY VERY VERY NICE not only for me but I have been looking at all people in all windows in the hall. Even if lie, I would say they will let you go but they will tell that u r laying. I saw that my eyes with a woman in the building and they let her GO! but officer told her u laying!! I felt they are very concerned about drugs coming from USA to Canada. But I don't look at all a drug guy as I never even smoke one cigar in my life. It was great day and nice experience.

Now, I know I will have to stay 2-3 years in Canada then apply to renew my PR. Anything I should consider more than that?

I'm very thankful to every single member here LEON, STEAKY, COMPUTEGEEK, my best friend ALABAMAN.
Thank you indeed guys and wish you the best

Alabaman

Apr 24, 2009
Edmonton
Visa Office......
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nice one... and congrats to you and your family. Now make sure you keep all documents that can proof your physical presence in Canada... Bills, tax records, club memberships, pay stubs, employment letters... any thing you can keep. Just in case they might come handy in the future... Enjoy your stay... :)

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
An example of how taking your chances at a land border can work for you despite the obvious misrepresentation.

Recently a couple that returned to Canada via Montreal Airport went through a similar procedure stating they had only been out of Canada for a few days on vacation although they had actually been away for several years. All appeared to be going smoothly until the CBSA officer commenced a detail interview of their knowledge of the city and place of employment whereupon everything fell apart as they couldn't respond as a person who truly lived and worked in the city would. They were fined several hundred thousand dollars and their PR revoked.

Watch your PR obligation timeline carefully and keep a detailed record of your travels. If you eventually apply for citizenship your profile fits that of Residency Questionnaire required so be prepared.

choson86

Sep 20, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey Msafiri

Which border did you take to cross from US to Canada?

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The OP yazmost is the person who entered Canada via a land Port of Entry and misrepresented his absence from Canada. My previous post alluded to this misrepresentation and that yazmost is very lucky the CBSA officer either accepted his absence declaration at face value or did not believe it but took no action. The CBSA officer can follow their questioning in more detail with one of the simplest tactics requiring you to describe in detail the area of the city you claim to live in. Check the CBSA site it will provide details of the land border crossings in the province/ territory you reside in...some of them open only in the summer or have short operational hours.