+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My experience in Canada!!

kiala

Star Member
Feb 7, 2012
Aquib said:
In other word, may be you becoming bourdon on them that why they telling you to do survival job ! What's wrong if they ask you to do so , don't do if you don't want .

But one should not look negatively .

If you got talent + right skills with enough money to support yourself till you get your so called good job then that fine else is 100 time better to do survival job (after all that is also work and better then clerical work in India ) instead of sitting on relatives/friend head .

Be positive , try to understand what behind the scence .
agreed.

kiala

Star Member
Feb 7, 2012
s.gupta1487 said:
Hello Aquib,

Thanks for your point of view. Firstly, I'm not being negative in my post. I'm sharing my point of view, how Canada treated me. I was never burden on my relatives. I had sufficient savings and was also paying rent around $700 to them each month. The point is that they never encouraged us. Everyone was sort of astonished when they realized my husband has got a good job. All I'm saying is if one needs to come to Canada, then one should be independent and optimistic. They should not feel as if they are being harrased by others. One leaves their home country and family, and comes to other country, especially for good living, isn't it..then it is very important that one's attitude and motivation should not be hurt by forcing him to do poor jobs.

I'm not saying anything about others, this post is about my experience in Canada!!

Regards,
Shruti
if that was the case you shud have moved out of their house. always respect other people's privacy and concerns. i wonder u had lived in ireland before, why didn't u learn these things from there..europe is same as canada cultural wise...

anupshinkoo

Star Member
Sep 23, 2009
Hello Shruti,

Congratulations for being well settle in Canada. I am very Happy for you that u r well settled now, but after reading your posts I would like to say that something is better than nothing, Please give respect to each and every job, as all Human beings are doing work whether it white collar jobs or Blue collar.

Secondly I want to share my experience here, I landed in toronto last year in may 2010 and came back july 2010 as i got no jobs in toronto, i tried for survival jobs but even that is really difficult to get. I came with my child and wife but came back. My experience in terms to people of Canada is excellent, every single people whom i met is really very helpful, courteous, kind hearted. I met many Indians who were residing there from very long time are really very helpful, so what can i say is Canadians are really excellent and outstanding people.

Thirdly what i want to say is I agreed with Kiala posts, he is 100% right

Lastly I want to say Canada is really excellent country, Getting jobs is really difficult but now this time I plan to move Alberta and I hope i will get something good. The main thing is your luck, i saw people who dunno know anything got jobs easily and the people with highly talented skills even sometimes they fail to get jobs, and I want to say that Life in India is also not easy, every body have to struggle a lot for good life.
I wish every member a very good luck so that there dreams come true.
Thanks
Anup

s.gupta1487

Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28 March 2013
LANDED..........
18 Jan 2014
Hello Guys,

Thanks fr your reviews. I guess some agree with me and some doesn't. This wasn't a debate I had started. Firstly, I was having enough saving and was providing rent of $700 to my relatives. Secondly, we didn't live long. Only two months with them. Thirdly, I do not seem that I was a burden on them coz I was having my separate living. The thing is why you need relative when you go to another country. Firstly coz you are new there and your relatives encourage you to live with them until you are settled.

Secondly, this was my own personal experience for Canadian qualification and Canadian experience. What my husband wa told by the agency was that they want people with work ethics. He said that Indian work culture lacks ethics to which my husband denied. You know on your face no body will say bad words. They will say that Canada has opportunities and you will get one if you struggle. But many points are hidden. That agent which told this to my husband was the one who helped my husband to get a job coz he was immigrant too.

Lastly, if you are assured that you can rely on your relatives in Canada, please go ahead and enjoy your stay with them. I will really wish you good luck!! My post was only telling people with what I have gone through with past four months ad how my relationship with my husband was coming at stage. Please I'm not offending anybody. It was my personal experience with my dreamland. I have repeadtly said that Canada is a land of opportunities, but now it has changed slightly. It regards it's immigrants but more importantly it favours it's citizens first. I am not alone in this picture. I have contacted many people and they all have almost same story.

Seeking other side of perspective is good. I had read these kind of things before coming to Canada which encouraged me. But when I came here, it was a cultural shock to me. A cultural shock from my own culture. I don't mind doing survival jobs, I had done while studying in Ireland. But my point was just simple, my relatives were forcing us to out and do survival jobs. Why are they even bothered if they are getting rent. We have our separate living. The reason is fairly very simple. They are jealous.

My mistake was that I would have rented some other aprtment since I was already paying rent to my relatives. Coz it was not an unknown landlord, but my relatives, they were poking in ou lives.

If you can count on your relatives, Canadian market, pls go ahead and make your living. The post which I had written was with pain in my heart. I dnt want people to have their heart broken when they reach their dreamcountry.

And to all who said that we need to struggle in India and so we can struggle in Canada. I really don't mind struggling. Even i am struggling with very little income and fear and insecurity. All I'm saying is one needs family coz family makes us happy. But when that family does seem to interfere in your lives and try to make you hurt, then it's not a family.

My post is only a awareness to those who come to Canada relying on their relatives or family. We Indians are very emotional at heart but Indians in Canada are very practical and less emotional.

I might get responses that I'm wrong but I don't think I'm wrong. I have shared my life with you guys just so that everyone is aware and cautious for their own lives. It's better to be cautious..isn't it?

hope_life

Apr 24, 2012
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Shruti,
I realize ur pain n intentions 2.

wat all i can say is, thx for sharing.

gud luck.

s.gupta1487 said:
Hello Guys,

Thanks fr your reviews. I guess some agree with me and some doesn't. This wasn't a debate I had started. Firstly, I was having enough saving and was providing rent of $700 to my relatives. Secondly, we didn't live long. Only two months with them. Thirdly, I do not seem that I was a burden on them coz I was having my separate living. The thing is why you need relative when you go to another country. Firstly coz you are new there and your relatives encourage you to live with them until you are settled.

Secondly, this was my own personal experience for Canadian qualification and Canadian experience. What my husband wa told by the agency was that they want people with work ethics. He said that Indian work culture lacks ethics to which my husband denied. You know on your face no body will say bad words. They will say that Canada has opportunities and you will get one if you struggle. But many points are hidden. That agent which told this to my husband was the one who helped my husband to get a job coz he was immigrant too.

Lastly, if you are assured that you can rely on your relatives in Canada, please go ahead and enjoy your stay with them. I will really wish you good luck!! My post was only telling people with what I have gone through with past four months ad how my relationship with my husband was coming at stage. Please I'm not offending anybody. It was my personal experience with my dreamland. I have repeadtly said that Canada is a land of opportunities, but now it has changed slightly. It regards it's immigrants but more importantly it favours it's citizens first. I am not alone in this picture. I have contacted many people and they all have almost same story.

Seeking other side of perspective is good. I had read these kind of things before coming to Canada which encouraged me. But when I came here, it was a cultural shock to me. A cultural shock from my own culture. I don't mind doing survival jobs, I had done while studying in Ireland. But my point was just simple, my relatives were forcing us to out and do survival jobs. Why are they even bothered if they are getting rent. We have our separate living. The reason is fairly very simple. They are jealous.

My mistake was that I would have rented some other aprtment since I was already paying rent to my relatives. Coz it was not an unknown landlord, but my relatives, they were poking in ou lives.

If you can count on your relatives, Canadian market, pls go ahead and make your living. The post which I had written was with pain in my heart. I dnt want people to have their heart broken when they reach their homecountry.

And to all who said that we need to struggle in India and so we can struggle in Canada. I really don't mind struggling. Even i am struggling with very little income and fear and insecurity. All I'm saying is one needs family coz family makes us happy. But when that family does seem to interfere in your lives and try to make you hurt, then it's not a family.

My post is only a awareness to those who come to Canada relying on their relatives or family. We Indians are very emotional at heart but Indians in Canada are very practical and less emotional.

I might get responses that I'm wrong but I don't think I'm wrong. I have shared my life with you guys just so that everyone is aware and cautious for their own lives. It's better to be cautious..isn't it?

explorer976

Star Member
Oct 7, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
mailed 4-Jul-11, received 7-Jul-11, CC 16-Aug-11
Doc's Request.
sent all with app
AOR Received.
PER recd 27-Sep-11, started processing 4-jan12
IELTS Request
sent with app
Med's Request
13-Jan-12
Med's Done....
25-Jan-12, meds received line - 19Feb12
Passport Req..
5-Mar-2012
VISA ISSUED...
9-Mar-2012, collected 15-Mar-2012
LANDED..........
May 2012 hopefully....
Hi Shruti,

It is brave of you to share your experience and then get negative remarks from people for doing so.

And I understand that when you expect somethings from your relatives or from a new country that is full of opportunities and then you find that your expectations were not completely true then you get hurt. Anyone will get hurt.

I have relatives in Canada and I have travelled there every year for the last 5 years. My brother moved there as a student and is now on work permit and is working very hard.

I am an Indian and currently live in London, UK and moving to Toronto in few months. I have an advantage over other people. I have seen life in Canada and I know what to expect.

But I can still get complacent and not do proper research and quite possible that when I move to Toronto, I will be there without a job for a few months.

My relatives and my brother have already warned me of this.

Forget about Canada, if I decide to move back to India, I bet I wont find a job in the first week of moving there. I will probably not find a job that i like and on the same level as my job in UK for a few months. My own country and I wont find a job or at least it will be difficult and probably wont find a job in the city that i want. I will have to compromise. WHY?

Because:
1. I dont know the culture change, economy and people India now has. My current residence is what I know. India, I dont. - without research any new country will be difficult to settle.

2. Relatives will always give you advice to compromise - because they have seen worse than what you have seen and they dont want you to just sit in your home unemplyed. You will get dipressed faster than you can spell the word.

To not let their advice affect you negatively, you have to be very strong, very confident, lot of research, strong netwroking, plan A, plan B and probably plan C. MOST OF US ARE NOT THIS THOROUGH. SO WE SUFFER.

And if someone has family to support they have to compromise and take survival jobs and before you know it, you loose your confidence and get stuck in the cycle.

3. We need to be very creative in our search for jobs. How many of us actually do the work of looking up the city/province they want to move to? skills that they need to update so that they are more ready for the Canadian market, look up forum etc on the internet to contact people in their industry so they have people to talk to from their field?? NOT MANY.

We expect that Canada will serve us jobs on a platter and our relatives (even the best of them) will be there to help us and encourage us. Even if they are encouraging, if we are depressed, we will hear that they are jealous and negative.

Lastly, after you live 10 years in Canada and if you move back to India, you will have the same struggle there too. Any new country is difficult - India or Canada.

s.gupta1487 said:
Hello Guys,

If you can count on your relatives, Canadian market, pls go ahead and make your living. The post which I had written was with pain in my heart. I dnt want people to have their heart broken when they reach their dreamcountry.

Apr 7, 2012
Ferozepur
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-06-2011
Med's Request
26-12-2012
Med's Done....
01-01-2013
Passport Req..
22-03-2013
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
Well Said Bro.

explorer976 said:
Hi Shruti,

It is brave of you to share your experience and then get negative remarks from people for doing so.

And I understand that when you expect somethings from your relatives or from a new country that is full of opportunities and then you find that your expectations were not completely true then you get hurt. Anyone will get hurt.

I have relatives in Canada and I have travelled there every year for the last 5 years. My brother moved there as a student and is now on work permit and is working very hard.

I am an Indian and currently live in London, UK and moving to Toronto in few months. I have an advantage over other people. I have seen life in Canada and I know what to expect.

But I can still get complacent and not do proper research and quite possible that when I move to Toronto, I will be there without a job for a few months.

Forget about Canada, if I decide to move back to India, I bet I wont find a job in the first week of moving there. I will probably not find a job that i like and on the same level as my job in UK for a few months. My own country and I wont find a job or at least it will be difficult and probably wont find a job in the city that i want. I will have to compromise. WHY?

Because:
1. I dont know the culture change, economy and people India now has. My current residence is what I know. India, I dont. - without research any new country will be difficult to settle.

2. Relatives will always give you advice to compromise - because they have seen worse than what you have seen and they dont want you to just sit in your home unemplyed. You will get dipressed faster than you can spell the word.

To not let their advice affect you negatively, you have to be very strong, very confident, lot of research, strong netwroking, plan A, plan B and probably plan C. MOST OF US ARE NOT THIS THOROUGH. SO WE SUFFER.

And if someone has family to support they have to compromise and take survival jobs and before you know it, you loose your confidence and get stuck in the cycle.

3. We need to be very creative in our search for jobs. How many of us actually do the work of looking up the city/province they want to move to? skills that they need to update so that they are more ready for the Canadian market, look up forum etc on the internet to contact people in their industry so they have people to talk to from their field?? NOT MANY.

We expect that Canada will serve us jobs on a platter and our relatives (even the best of them) will be there to help us and encourage us. Even if they are encouraging, if we are depressed, we will hear that they are jealous and negative.

Lastly, after you live 10 years in Canada and if you move back to India, you will have the same struggle there too. Any new country is difficult - India or Canada.

avi_15

Jul 18, 2010
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-Aug-2010
Doc's Request.
Sent with the App
AOR Received.
16-Dec-2010
IELTS Request
Sent
File Transfer...
16-Dec-2010
Med's Request
25-July-2011 reached 02-Aug-2011
Med's Done....
30-Aug-2011 reached 8-Sep-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
03-Nov-2011 reached 7-Nov-2011
VISA ISSUED...
18-Nov-2011 reached 25-Nov-2011
LANDED..........
03-Feb-2012
well said man!!

explorer976 said:
Hi Shruti,

Because:

Aquib

Apr 19, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 2010
Doc's Request.
March 2010
AOR Received.
JULY 2010
IELTS Request
SUBMIT WITH APPLICATION
File Transfer...
FEB 2010
Med's Request
09 FEB 2012
Med's Done....
27 Feb 2012
Interview........
Medical received 12 March
Passport Req..
15 April 2012
VISA ISSUED...
30 April 2012
LANDED..........
Sep 18 2012 Shuker Allah.
SinghLovCan said:
I am also a newcomer to Canada and my experience is slightly different. Let me get some facts and myths out of the way.

IT- ...ORACLE, JAVA, C++ all have jobs.... but if you got your IT degree from some madarassi university and dont know how to program *censored word*, Then probably the Canadian with no degree but with skills will get the job ! Employers dont care if you got big shot degrees, all they care is if you know the stuff well or

Hi Papa Jee, I like "madrasii word" but please edit it as it may hurt few people feelings.

I agree and further trying to elaborate what u mean " In India most of well settled jobs are what you get by family influence, collage/school name, Netagiri, Reservation and Green MahatamaGandhi Jee influence, but when they came to these western country , there it required Knowledge and Skills to get and success in job."

That's why Truck driver, welder, engineer always get job.
Hard for Busineesss men children's and Managers as they are Skill but in back home only.
Not sure if politician like Lalu, Mamta, Mayawati, Modi etc ever decide to migrate , how long it take them to find first job and what will be that.

Aquib

Apr 19, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 2010
Doc's Request.
March 2010
AOR Received.
JULY 2010
IELTS Request
SUBMIT WITH APPLICATION
File Transfer...
FEB 2010
Med's Request
09 FEB 2012
Med's Done....
27 Feb 2012
Interview........
Medical received 12 March
Passport Req..
15 April 2012
VISA ISSUED...
30 April 2012
LANDED..........
Sep 18 2012 Shuker Allah.
kiala said:
if that was the case you shud have moved out of their house. always respect other people's privacy and concerns. i wonder u had lived in ireland before, why didn't u learn these things from there..europe is same as canada cultural wise...
Well said.

I got one of my school friend sis came to live with us , she just wanted to dance And sit eating on us , she was 21 yes old but that's not our problem If she didn't like to work in Subway , Macdonald or KFC , inspite she stay for 7 month with us , till I called his brother and told him that either call your sister back if you can't afford her in UK. on top We never expect her to pay rent and food ....but she expect us to pay her bus pass and her mobile bill , every weekend when she go out clubbing she expect me to go and pick her from pub at 1-2 am as she afraid of returning alone .

At last she moved out , but we are bad and rude people my friend family eyes who said that I didn't help small girl in new country. They never accept that I did some good by keeping her for 7 month for free in our rented 1BHK flat .