SISH7255

Nov 19, 2009
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
July 2011
explorer101 said:
Nice to read that your efforts brought good result. Canada do have good opportunities but to grab these opportunities landed immigrants have to come up with a planned approach. Knowing the requirement of getting a job should be done at the stage of immigration process and not after landing. These days virtually every info is available on net. New Immigrants need exceptional preparation to compete with the Canadians, so they would have to raise their skills. Finding fault in Canadian system would not be of much use, finding ways to raise the skill would serve better.

Why it is difficult to compete with Canadians ?
I work for a Canadian bank and one of my job is to profile the clients and on profiling I found that :-
1. Most of the Canadians start working at early age 16-17-18 as soon as they reach legal working age limit of the province. First job they do is during summer vacation is mostly in recreational parks.
2. 2nd year break they work in food chains ( food basics, freshco etc)etc.
3. 3rd year during break Tim Hortons, restaurants , Mc D, and some upper level food chains / franchises.( walmart, sobeys etc)
4. 4th year - office work or campus placement and so on .............5,6,7....

So, the Directors, managers, hiring managers etc all go through this phase before they start with the profession they are in after completing their college and by that time they have already worked for many many years at different positions. Keeping this in their mind they disregard a resume of new immigrant. So most of the new immigrants have to start from a scratch and for that some of us do not have patence as we want to take up the same position which we had back home. Getting a lower level of job and they moving up is a better idea than getting frustrated, cursing, writing big blogs and then leaving Canada.

I do not accept with the view that their is no life for immigrant landing after they reached the age of 30 yrs. Experience of any sort ( back home experience) matters after one gets first job in Canada , the problem is in regard to first break only. The good position left back home can be reached again also. The age of 30-40-50 do not matter, all that matters is WILL to succeed. I am over 40 now and find that I am still good to compete with any age. So guys over the age of 30, do not get dishartened, we still have long way to go, so keep rocking, Canada belongs to you also.
Explorer 101, You are absolutly right buddy! I have the same view and observations as yours.

Regards
SISH7255

SISH7255

Nov 19, 2009
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
July 2011
Communications & presentation skills (soft skills) matters much in Canada. If you have excellent communications skills and ability to present yourself and your skills then you are good to go. Age doesn't matter much. In Canada, children starts there first presentation at elementary level, that is the reason they have tremendous amount of confidence and communication skills and again as explained by the "explorer101" they already worked so many types of jobs (during school & college breaks) before getting into their real profession. On the other hand most immigrants have done their first presentation in final year of their college to present their projects/seminar. Immigrants have good technical skills but lack in SOFT SKILLS which are valued in Canada most. That is the reason you see the immigrants from the english speaking countries (as S. Gupta's hubby do) have more chances of landing a job than the non english-speaking one.

hope_life

Apr 24, 2012
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Mrs. Gupta,
gud to hear this debate. Well, I guess, if we talk abt struggle, its here in india as well, If we think negative approach of our relative
that lies here as well(to many). In my opinion, generally everybody is well prepared when they move to canada for the initial struggle even
we are. wat makes the difference, well , one's strong will power to settle against ODDS.

its far better to do the initial labour jobs there in canada to our so called good jobs here in india.

we are never settle here, but after few years of initial hard work we get settled in canada( this is wat i have seen so far).

I would like to quote to everybody that see the other side of the coin(be positive). at the end of the end of day u feel like ur efforts paid off n datz wat matters.
one more thing I wud like to add, it hardly matters to me how i have been treated, the thing which matters is how I treat others. this approach can change the entire scenario. Be an extended arm to others, Lets help each other.

god bless all.

s.gupta1487 said:
Thanks Right for your review. It is crucial for people to realize the ground realities of life. It is very important to understand that in order to succeed, one needs to know the true attributes of the same.

SinghLovCan

Jul 21, 2011
Category........
NOC Code......
dont know
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am also a newcomer to Canada and my experience is slightly different. Let me get some facts and myths out of the way.

MYTH NO. 1 : YOU NEED CANADIAN EXPERIENCE TO GET A JOB?

Whoever told you, probably doesnt understand the job market and what the employer is looking here in Canada. Firstly, Canada has a lot of jobs and all those jobs are skilled jobs. Say if you were a manager in your home country , some big shot employee, but if you have no skills you are use-less here, because in your home country all you did was drink tea and signed a few papers without even knowing what they meant and went home.

What do I mean by skills :

Engineering Technical : Design/drafting, quality control/inspection, knowledge of structural engineering softwares, ... you need to know soemthing that you can do for the employer, welding inspectors with welding inspector certificates..etc...etc.

Accountants : Its hard to get a job in this field unless you understand the Canadian Tax system very well.

Doctors : They have to get certified

Trade Skills : They all can get jobs easily... if it is a regulated trade they may just need to do a short course study.

IT- ...ORACLE, JAVA, C++ all have jobs.... but if you got your IT degree from some madarassi university and dont know how to program shit, Then probably the Canadian with no degree but with skills will get the job ! Employers dont care if you got big shot degrees, all they care is if you know the stuff well or not.

If you were a hotel manager, ran a business, construction manager .. and those big shot jobs... They are not much jobs for that kind here. Do you know why big shot employees in their home country have difficulty finding a job here in Canada?

A manager at a car autoparts in Canada probably would have started off as a mechanic and worked his way to become a manager, but in your home country you probably would have earned a bcom degree but studied nothing and went straight to be a manger without even knowing anything & thats the reason big shot new immigrants have a hard time finding a job here.

MYTH 2 : ALL IMMIGRANTS I CAME ACROSS WANT TO LAND IN ONTARIO , TORONTO , MONTREAL , VANCOUVER. THEY PROBABLY EQUATE BIG CITIES TO BIG JOB OPPORTUNITIES.

FACT 2 : Nothing can be farther from the truth. Do a little bit of research. Toronto-Ontario, Montreal, Vancouver are dead ! Eastern Canadian economy is downhill ! The developing economies are right now in Saskatchewan and Alberta boasting the lowest Unemployment rate. Alberta has the lowest tax and is the richest province in Canada. When deciding which place to move you should consider where unemployment rate is the lowest. That is if you want a decent job, but if you are looking for an odd job just to make a living id suggest Nova Scotia, Newfoundland & NewBrunwick as these provinces have low living costs and higher minimum wages.

MYTH 3 : HIGHER DEGREES / HIGH EDUCATION IN CANADA HELPS YOU GET A GOOD JOB.

FACT 3 : Nothing can be farther than the truth. While higher education really helps a lot, but when I came to Canada what I discovered astonished me. I noticed that whole Engineering firms are run by people with 2-year diplomas and the high technical work that Engineers use to do in my home country is being done by those who hold minimum qualifications. I noticed that Owners of companies sometimes dont hesitate to even get their hands dirty ! and theres no egostical pride here in the kind of work you do.
I also noticed that what 5 people use to do in my home country , the same thing is done by 1 or 2 and people are very passionate and honest about their work.

I also noticed that Canadians with big shot degrees sometimes end up doing work here much below their qualification. So what is it that gets your foot in the door? and like I said before... it is KEY SKILLS. You have to be like a jig-saw puzzle piece that fits well and thats what employees here are looking for.

MYTH 4 : CANADA IS A WONDERLAND AND EVERYBODY SHOULD IMMIGRATE TO CANADA

FACT 4 : NOTHING can be farther from the truth ! If you are well-settled in your home country and got a steady line of income. Dont ever think of immigrating here. Life is stressful and when you got no job things can get really stressy here. If you are well settled in your home country and you still choose to immigrate here then thats equivalent to burning your home and building another one somewhere else.

I came to Canada because I was settled no where. Now I am here I can call this country mine and establish my routes here...but for some of you guys who are well settled , theres no need to take your kids and immigrate here.

hope_life

Apr 24, 2012
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
good job done, mate.

Well defined: PROS N CONS.

SinghLovCan said:
I am also a newcomer to Canada and my experience is slightly different. Let me get some facts and myths out of the way.

Whoever told you, probably doesnt understand the job market and what the employer is looking here in Canada. Firstly, Canada has a lot of jobs and all those jobs are skilled jobs. Say if you were a manager in your home country , some big shot employee, but if you have no skills you are use-less here, because in your home country all you did was drink tea and signed a few papers without even knowing what they meant and went home.

Engineering Technical : Design/drafting, quality control/inspection, knowledge of structural engineering softwares, ... you need to know soemthing that you can do for the employer, welding inspectors with welding inspector certificates..etc...etc.

Accountants : Its hard to get a job in this field unless you understand the Canadian Tax system very well.

Trade Skills : They all can get jobs easily... if it is a regulated trade they may just need to do a short course study.

IT- ...ORACLE, JAVA, C++ all have jobs.... but if you got your IT degree from some madarassi university and dont know how to program *censored word*, Then probably the Canadian with no degree but with skills will get the job ! Employers dont care if you got big shot degrees, all they care is if you know the stuff well or not.

If you were a hotel manager, ran a business, construction manager .. and those big shot jobs... They are not much jobs for that kind here. Do you know why big shot employees in their home country have difficulty finding a job here in Canada?

A manager at a car autoparts in Canada probably would have started off as a mechanic and worked his way to become a manager, but in your home country you probably would have earned a bcom degree but studied nothing and went straight to be a manger without even knowing anything & thats the reason big shot new immigrants have a hard time finding a job here.

MYTH 2 : ALL IMMIGRANTS I CAME ACROSS WANT TO LAND IN ONTARIO , TORONTO , MONTREAL , VANCOUVER. THEY PROBABLY EQUATE BIG CITIES TO BIG JOB OPPORTUNITIES.

FACT 2 : Nothing can be farther from the truth. Do a little bit of research. Toronto-Ontario, Montreal, Vancouver are dead ! Eastern Canadian economy is downhill ! The developing economies are right now in Saskatchewan and Alberta boasting the lowest Unemployment rate. Alberta has the lowest tax and is the richest province in Canada. When deciding which place to move you should consider where unemployment rate is the lowest. That is if you want a decent job, but if you are looking for an odd job just to make a living id suggest Nova Scotia, Newfoundland & NewBrunwick as these provinces have low living costs and higher minimum wages.

FACT 3 : Nothing can be farther than the truth. While higher education really helps a lot, but when I came to Canada what I discovered astonished me. I noticed that whole Engineering firms are run by people with 2-year diplomas and the high technical work that Engineers use to do in my home country is being done by those who hold minimum qualifications. I noticed that Owners of companies sometimes dont hesitate to even get their hands dirty ! and theres no egostical pride here in the kind of work you do.
I also noticed that what 5 people use to do in my home country , the same thing is done by 1 or 2 and people are very passionate and honest about their work.

I also noticed that Canadians with big shot degrees sometimes end up doing work here much below their qualification. So what is it that gets your foot in the door? and like I said before... it is KEY SKILLS. You have to be like a jig-saw puzzle piece that fits well and thats what employees here are looking for.

FACT 4 : NOTHING can be farther from the truth ! If you are well-settled in your home country and got a steady line of income. Dont ever think of immigrating here. Life is stressful and when you got no job things can get really stressy here. If you are well settled in your home country and you still choose to immigrate here then thats equivalent to burning your home and building another one somewhere else.

I came to Canada because I was settled no where. Now I am here I can call this country mine and establish my routes here...but for some of you guys who are well settled , theres no need to take your kids and immigrate here.

omoba7

Apr 16, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
15-10-13
SinghLovCan said:

IT- ...ORACLE, JAVA, C++ all have jobs.... but if you got your IT degree from some madarassi university and dont know how to program *censored word*, Then probably the Canadian with no degree but with skills will get the job ! Employers dont care if you got big shot degrees, all they care is if you know the stuff well or not.

+1 to you for this brilliant post.

nicholas30

Champion Member
Nov 4, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
[color=blue]OYE.......... Singh is King!!!!! Very True what u said is 100% justified.[/color]

art2012

Mar 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
london
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi dear shruthi,

I really appreciate ur effforts to put down ur experiences and ur determination to help others.u have given an opportunity to all indians to put their views.im glad that u turned ur bitter experiences into a commitment to help others.i can see that u r in seedling stage and i wish to see u growing into a huge forest.

I hope u will not change with time,there is high possibity that u will learn more lessons from indian frnds,as i can see that u r new in the country and u dont hv idea abt indians in foreign land.i bet u had less exposure to ur own community people in ireland.

Indians suffer the most bec of indians not bec of other nationals.this may b bec of trust or high expectations or may b bec of very nature of indians.indians hv divsions - north indian,south indian,punjabi,gujrati,tamilian,malyalee,andhrite etc etc and the division goes on - most of indians never sees indian as indian.
most of indians migrate for luxurious life.they talk of status,achievements,comforts,mansions,luxury cars,jewellery etc etc and hurt others in their conversations intentionally or unintentionally.they never look at life beyond that,they never count people by their deeds.
if one does menial job,it doesnt mean one has gone down, as long as one earns with dignity it doesnt matter -its dignity of labour.

i hv noticed several kind people in this forum. people r in need of help and help needy.
helping others, when u r not in need of any help - is important. i hv found some here.

I had put down my view abt most of indians ( not all ),based on experiences of hundreads of indians who shared their sufferings with me,some which were extreme.
I dont mean to hurt any indian or any national, i being indian feel very painful.
This is an attempt to induce thinking in every indian.
Sorry for being bit blunt in delivering my message.i dont hv any hostile feelings towards any indian, moreover i hv very good indian frnds.

Thanks for reading.....
Rgds

art2012

Mar 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
london
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
avi_15 said:
Good one shruti...i can appreciate ur direct words and attitude..
i have seen people here (read reatives) telling you that you have to do menial jobs to survive and stuff..
i got a job offer before coming to canada and hence escaped this torture but i still remember the looks i got from people on learning that i wasnt in a survival job....some still werent ready to accept that i had a decent job...this is the weakness of our community here.. people want to drag u down..
avi
Hi avi,
U r right abt the indians in general,
If u go down, they mock at u and if u go above them,they feel jealous and drag u down.
Lets join hands to change this..
Rgd

art2012

Mar 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
london
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
harry_aussie said:
I like your post, specially your views about relatives and young immigrants.

One thing you still need to learn and respect is your terming of "Survival jobs" as *censored word*ty jobs. I strongly recommend you to amend your post and show some respect.

Regards
Harry
Hi harry,
Well said reg survival jobs.

nano24482

Champion Member
Jan 30, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28/02/2010
Doc's Request.
20/04/2010
AOR Received.
27/08/2010
File Transfer...
27/04/2010
Human nature is same everywhere.
We pity and mock the underperformers and feel jealous of the overachievers.
Giving advice is the easiest thing that can be done.

What we Indians lack is 'not giving enough space for a person to grow'.
We pamper and spoil our kids till they are adults, don't allow them to make their own decisions(and thus their own mistakes).

I doubt my behaviour will be different if someone stays at my home and is searching for a job.
Secondly I doubt anyone's behaviour will be different.

Mindless chatter not regarding,
Kudos to shruthi and her husband for getting a good job!!!

art2012

Mar 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
london
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Right said:
Not only do I love your post and those contributors, I felt so good reading this type of debate. I've read many blogs about Canada +ves and -ves but the the fact is we have same goal - i.e to make Canada our dreamland!

Some behaviours are absord to us bcos of our background and I noticed that these attitude is from us from Africa and Asians + middle east.

I've read the good,bad and ugly. The most important thing as even emphasised by Steve Jobs, is to leave your life. Be determine to succeed just as Explorer said. If there's will there's a way.

Age at times does not determine success. I read about successful pple in USA 60% of them started at 50+. Its never too late to land or succeed. Age is nothing but figure and it also depends on you. You ability and determination will put you at the age you belong!

My fellow friends, pls continue this debate as am really enjoying it !
Gupta 1487, weldone for your effort! Keep it up. And may your God continue to bless you as you keep your promise with Him. I love your maturity in writing. Your swift way of accepting ur error is wonderful.

To all, I say weldone.

Hi right,
Absolutely, i agree with u.

kiala

Star Member
Feb 7, 2012
s.gupta1487 said:
Hi Guys,

I have written my post on How's life in Canada. I'm here on student visa. Read it here : http://shrutispointofview.blogspot.ca/2012/05/hows-life-in-canada-my-life-in-canada.html and share with me your comments, your success and failures and if you need any query, write me down. I'll surely try to help

Keep me posted!!

Shruti
read your story..what are you trying to tell us? not to stay with relatives? i dont agree with you on that point. if any body becomes burdon on you for long wudnt u mind that? if now relatives of u come from india and want to stay wid u for long how long wud u accomodate them? its struggle every where not only in canada. you shouldnt be complaining of any thing..at least you shud be thankful to ur relatives who initially provided some support of any kind and pls remove bad words from your post like shyte...

kiala

Star Member
Feb 7, 2012
nano24482 said:
Human nature is same everywhere.
We pity and mock the underperformers and feel jealous of the overachievers.
Giving advice is the easiest thing that can be done.

What we Indians lack is 'not giving enough space for a person to grow'.
We pamper and spoil our kids till they are adults, don't allow them to make their own decisions(and thus their own mistakes).

I doubt my behaviour will be different if someone stays at my home and is searching for a job.
Secondly I doubt anyone's behaviour will be different.

Mindless chatter not regarding,
Kudos to shruthi and her husband for getting a good job!!!
agreed with nano...

kiala

Star Member
Feb 7, 2012
hope_life said:
Hi Mrs. Gupta,
gud to hear this debate. Well, I guess, if we talk abt struggle, its here in india as well, If we think negative approach of our relative
that lies here as well(to many). In my opinion, generally everybody is well prepared when they move to canada for the initial struggle even
we are. wat makes the difference, well , one's strong will power to settle against ODDS.

its far better to do the initial labour jobs there in canada to our so called good jobs here in india.

we are never settle here, but after few years of initial hard work we get settled( this is wat i have seen so far).

I would like to quote to everybody that see the other side of the coin(be positive). at the end of the end of day u feel like ur efforts paid off n datz wat matters.
one more thing I wud like to add, it hardly matters to me how i have been treated, the thing which matters is how I treat others. this approach can change the entire scenario. Be an extended arm to others, Lets help each other.

god bless all.
fully agreed...