+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My Experience at Landing on Montreal while in Breach of RO but a valid PR Card

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I was sure that i would be quizzed about absense and residency breach but 30 mins later officer pointed at me and called me alone to the counter
He handed all our passports and said ur all good to go

Now i dont know whether he showed me compassion due to canadian child or knowing rest of family are good and can again sponsor me if he did issue revokation of PR status i dont know what went through his mind but i was let through without further questioning despite being sent in to the complex
99% you were simply 'waved through' (treated leniently) and since there was no verbal warning or anything, there are no repercussions of note. There may be a note to file or something similar (likely saying nothing of consequence other than you were slightly out of compliance).

It's possible or perhaps even likely that the other members of your family being in compliance and you all travelling together played a role - but we don't know, really, since as I recall you were not that far out of compliance.

Would like to see what he thinks. I would like to apply for PR card early not that i plan to leave but its good to have to make short trips to usa for small things or travel in emergency
After all the ink spilt on this, and all the worry you have caused yourself: all I can suggest is: don't. Don't apply early, certainly not right away. Stay in Canada for now.

If you really must travel to USA, plan on returning by land border (for which you do not need card). Limit your trips in number and time. Don't push your luck after all that.

Last edited:
Reactions: dpenabill and Ponga

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
minutes ago
Hi guys

So i thought i would update my experience at the land border on april 28th 2023
You may have to scroll back at my earlier posts about my detailed situation about not meeting residency by 300 days or so

I traveled through land border via usa flight. My relatives from usa drove me to the border on way to toronto.

I was traveling with two us citizens my wife n elder daughter new PRs with still days left on PR card to fullfill residency my younger daughter who was canadian and me with a 7 day valid PR card but not meeting residency

We were stopped and officer at window asked how long we were out of canada so i told jom 2.5 yrs to be precise. He then asked all of us to head to complex next to rainbow bridge

Our passports were moved to the center automaticaly through the file pipe

The officer at the window seemed young and not happy. Inside we were dealt by an older officer who asked us to wait while he was in front of a computer looking through

I was sure that i would be quizzed about absense and residency breach but 30 mins later officer pointed at me and called me alone to the counter
He handed all our passports and said ur all good to go

Now i dont know whether he showed me compassion due to canadian child or knowing rest of family are good and can again sponsor me if he did issue revokation of PR status i dont know what went through his mind but i was let through without further questioning despite being sent in to the complex

On arrival i tried to get CBSA file but i got a reply after 30 days with only entry and exit no notes from officer

Then i thought i may have to request ircc file as officer inside the complex may be from immigration but online system only takes request when u have a file number for ongoing application which i dont have. I would welcome any help as to how i can get notes from.immigration officer who checked our passports and waived us in
Would like to see what he thinks. I would like to apply for PR card early not that i plan to leave but its good to have to make short trips to usa for small things or travel in emergency
Just a reminder that even if you have a valid health card you must all reapply because you have not met the residency requirements to qualify for provincial healthcare. To qualify to provincial healthcare you have to have a valid health card and meet the provincial residency obligation. You will also be planning to meet the residency obligation to apply. Depending on the province you could have an up to 3 month wait before you qualify for healthcare. Failure to reapply could lead to you being asked to pay for any healthcare that you used.

Given your history of not meeting RO and having somehow being able to sponsor your family while being outside Canada and not meeting RO filing for PR card renewal early could lead to a cascade of negative things if your family’s files are reviewed.

sayadil

Star Member
Sep 7, 2016
99% you were simply 'waved through' (treated leniently) and since there was no verbal warning or anything, there are no repercussions of note. There may be a note to file or something similar (likely saying nothing of consequence other than you were slightly out of compliance).

It's possible or perhaps even likely that the other members of your family being in compliance and you all travelling together played a role - but we don't know, really, since as I recall you were not that far out of compliance.

After all the ink spilt on this, and all the worry you have caused yourself: all I can suggest is: don't. Don't apply early, certainly not right away. Stay in Canada for now.

If you really must travel to USA, plan on returning by land border (for which you do not need card). Limit your trips in number and time. Don't push your luck after all that.
Hi

Well we weren't waived through at the intial window. officer at the outer window stopped us and asked us to visit the center at the border. Person inside held on to our passports for good 30 mins (inlcluding passports of US Citizens) and then told us we were good to go
I think he must have left some note on computer some note that we were stopped as they dont stop everyone. But not sure how i can get these notes.

About short trips to US. im not comfortable at all traveling with expired PR Card unless i could read the notes and see what the officer has written. If it was something assuring then trip to US would be enjoyable knowing i have a good chances of being allowed in. lets see.

sayadil

Star Member
Sep 7, 2016
Just a reminder that even if you have a valid health card you must all reapply because you have not met the residency requirements to qualify for provincial healthcare. To qualify to provincial healthcare you have to have a valid health card and meet the provincial residency obligation. You will also be planning to meet the residency obligation to apply. Depending on the province you could have an up to 3 month wait before you qualify for healthcare. Failure to reapply could lead to you being asked to pay for any healthcare that you used.

Given your history of not meeting RO and having somehow being able to sponsor your family while being outside Canada and not meeting RO filing for PR card renewal early could lead to a cascade of negative things if your family’s files are reviewed.
hey there

i applied for Health card the moment i entered last month. Temporary health card was issued to me right away but it said it will be effective post 2nd June so its active now. Surprisingly my younger daughter who's a Canadian also had expired health card. her health card was renewed with immediate effective date. So being Canadian or young makes some difference with OHIP not sure what.
So it seems like one has to be back for 30 days for OHIP to be active again.

sayadil

Star Member
Sep 7, 2016

My family is already been sponsored and is a PR since 2020. They have 1 year of residency already and still have another 2 years left to complete 1 yr remaining days.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Well we weren't waived through at the intial window. officer at the outer window stopped us and asked us to visit the center at the border. Person inside held on to our passports for good 30 mins (inlcluding passports of US Citizens) and then told us we were good to go
The waved through is figurative, you were still waved through and treated leniently. Yes, it's quite possible a note was left on your file. But the fact there was no verbal warning or other similar is somewhat encouraging.

About short trips to US. im not comfortable at all traveling with expired PR Card unless i could read the notes and see what the officer has written. If it was something assuring then trip to US would be enjoyable knowing i have a good chances of being allowed in. lets see.
If you're not comfortable with short trips, don't make them.

The point is: if you submit an application to renew while out of compliance, that requires an examination of your compliance. And that will almost certainly lead to more time, delayed app, and possibly could lead to the same pr status report you were worried about at border. It is no less risky in many respects than the border examination - and in some ways more risky.

So stay in Canada.

At some point if you need to go on short trip to USA, and if you are well established, there is at least some likelihood you'll again be waved through as above. While they could stop you for the report process, if clear living in Canada, improved chances they won't.

But again: safe process right now - stay in Canada, don't apply to renew card. Yet anyway.