+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My chances of work permit rejection?

omnnai

Nov 16, 2018
Hi everyone,

I will be applying for a work permit during my layover in Vancouver before (hopefully) continuing on to my final destination in Quebec this coming week to lock down temporary housing.

I am a specialized software engineer working in the field of computer graphics, and have worked for my current employer in the US for the past year and a half, building with them technology that serves as the backbone to many creative industries (game, film, animation, etc). I have personally championed graphics initiatives on numerous high profile, big budget productions that use our technology to demonstrate its power.

It's in my and my team's interest that I temporarily transfer from the US office I operate from, to the office in Quebec (6 mos), which is home to the co-worker I have worked most closely with remotely since my time starting here. My company's team of immigration lawyers and HR reps have submitted all necessary information on my behalf to CIC, and I should have everything I need in hand when I at the border/airport.

So everything seems like it is in order, however, knowing that the next 6 months of my life hang in the balance of how nice of a day a border agent is having is keeping me up at night.

Some of my fears:
- Perceived experience. I have only been out of school (b.s. science) for 1.5 years, early 20s. I am highly specialized and experienced, but if they only go off my time since graduation, I may seem amateur/non-unique.
- Ties to home. I am single and only have my apartment lease in the US, as well as job opportunities here on my side. There is family too, but that seems like a weak reason. I was honestly planning on breaking my lease for this move but now I'm thinking that might be a bad idea.
- Previous visits. I have traveled to Quebec multiple times in the past for 'meetings' with my co-worker there, even though I was working for my company/paid out of our US office. I don't know how an officer would see this if it came up, or if it's simply non-issue. I work for a very international company, and part of the job largely involves international travel to collaborate with colleagues all around the world.

Mostly, I'm just looking for a slap in the face from someone on here telling me that I will be fine and to chill out, or to validate my worries.

Thank you!