+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Multiple entry permanent residency travel document

manish_canada

Aug 22, 2014
Hi

I have a query regarding multiple entry permanent residency travel document.

Generally the embassy gives single entry PRTD having 6 months validity but they are allowed to give multiple entry travel document for up to 5 years. I want to know what's the condition in which they issue multiple entry travel document.

What could be mentioned in the application for PRTD so that they issue a multiple entry long term travel document?

Thanks
Manish

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Surely the whole purpose of a PRTD is to substitute on a temporary basis the lack of a current PR card. It is not intended to replace a PR card long term so you need to apply for a PR card when you are in Canada and if you cannot stay .long enough get someone to courier it to you.

What is stopping you from getting a valid PR card ?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hi

Generally the embassy gives single entry PRTD having 6 months validity but they are allowed to give multiple entry travel document for up to 5 years. I want to know what's the condition in which they issue multiple entry travel document.

What could be mentioned in the application for PRTD so that they issue a multiple entry long term travel document?

Thanks
Manish
1. Multiple entry PRTDs are usually only issued to spouses of Canadian citizens residing abroad, who travel to Canada frequently.

Reactions: dpenabill

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Hi

Thanks
Manish
The response by @PMM largely covers it. With some emphasis on those who "travel to Canada frequently." That is, the multiple-entry TD will likely be issued ONLY to those whose application clearly indicates, in the application itself, the appropriateness and need for it.

Thus, My Somewhat Short Response:

Probably best to simply complete the PR TD application making sure to comprehensively include information regarding eligibility for RO credit while abroad and detailed travel history, and let the visa office determine if and when issuing a multiple-entry TD is appropriate.

At BEST IRCC guidelines indicate that issuing the multiple-entry TD is appropriate ONLY in RARE CASES.

LONGER, MORE IN-DEPTH OBSERVATIONS:

Even though (at least apparently) IRCC guidelines still allow issuing a multiple-entry PR TD in certain situations, as I recall (based on IMM 5524 (06-2019) E) there is no place to request a multiple-entry PR TD in the application.

The guidelines about this refer to situations in which, "occasionally," it may be appropriate to issue a multiple-entry TD, as "rare cases." (Caveat: these guidelines do not appear to have been updated for a number of years.) In particular, it warrants emphasizing that the IRCC guidelines indicate that issuing the multiple-entry TD is appropriate ONLY in RARE cases.

In contrast it is NOT uncommon, let alone "rare," for PRs to be living abroad with a Canadian citizen spouse. Thus, there is little reason to think that PRs living abroad with a Canadian citizen spouse will be issued a multiple-entry TD UNLESS there are additional, UNUSUAL circumstances for granting the multiple-entry, as opposed to a single entry TD.

In the meantime, we have not seen much reporting about multiple-entry PR TDs the last couple or so years. So it is not entirely clear who, when, or why IRCC is issuing the multiple-entry PR TD to some PRs living abroad and not to others. BUT overall most indications tend to suggest precisely what @PMM said: "Multiple entry PRTDs are usually only issued to spouses of Canadian citizens residing abroad, who travel to Canada frequently." Indeed, the most commonly reported situation in which the multiple-entry TD was issued, when there were a number of such reports in the forums (around 2015 to 2017), involved PRs living abroad long-term with a Canadian citizen spouse, where it was clear the PR was eligible for credit allowed PRs accompanying their citizen-spouse. BUT again, the multiple-entry TD was issued to ONLY SOME in such situations and NOT to some others in a similar situation. And while it was not explicitly clear, the difference does appear to be related to or based on a travel history showing regular trips to Canada.

THUS, the APPLICATION ITSELF, on its face, should amply illustrate if and when a multiple-entry PR TD is appropriate. Both in terms of documenting that the PR has a continuing credit toward RO compliance despite being abroad (so no RO compliance issues lurking) and the need for a multiple entry TD as opposed to the standard, routine single entry TD.

FOR REFERENCE: Operational Manual OP 10 "Permanent Residency Status Determination" prescribes guidelines for issuing PRs a Travel Document. (BUT note, it has not been updated in more than five years.)

OP 10 states:
"In most cases, the travel document is to be issued for a single entry with a validity of six months. Occasionally, there may be cases where a permanent resident of Canada is unable to apply for a permanent resident card due to their long-term residency abroad. In these rare cases, where a permanent resident is unable to apply for the card from within Canada because of the shortness of their occasional stays in Canada, a multiple-entry travel document may be issued or a period of validity not exceeding five years."​

Reactions: manish_canada