+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Multiple entry after landing on PR

Jul 1, 2017
I am having an existing Visitor's Visa, and recently received my CoPR letter along with the visa stamp for the purpose of landing.

I am residing in USA right across the Canadian border in Buffalo, and planning to move a bit later. For now I only intend to do landing and get my PR card process in motion. Please advise if I can again travel back to Canada while my PR card is being processed--Will my existing visitor Visa help me to do so?

Secondly, I intend to give my friend mailing address for the purpose of Canada PR is it okay?

Thanks in advance.

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
You can use your copr + passport to travel until you get your PR card. This works if you are using your own or rental car, not in public transportation like bus or flight as copr isn't valid travel document.

You can give your friend's address for PR card. If the officer refuses to get your friend's address for any reason, you can call and update it later.

rakakatoofaan

Star Member
Sep 8, 2014
You can use your copr + passport to travel until you get your PR card. This works if you are using your own or rental car, not in public transportation like bus or flight as copr isn't valid travel document.

You can give your friend's address for PR card. If the officer refuses to get your friend's address for any reason, you can call and update it later.
DEEPCUR is correct. I commute a lot between the borders. At one time, they did not even look at my COPR.

cvaib

Star Member
May 19, 2017

For Air travel, will the visitor visa work if PR card is in processing? or PRTD is a must then?
Thanks for your time

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
For Air travel, will the visitor visa work if PR card is in processing? or PRTD is a must then?
Thanks for your time
You must have a PR or a PRTD for air travel.

Or you fly to the nearest US city and travel across the Canadian ground border in a private vehicle or on foot.

Reactions: cvaib

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
Thanks for your time
You cannot get visitor Visa if you are permanent resident. Travel by road with your car or prtd are your options.

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
Your Visitor Visa will remain valid for air travel. (Only for showing to the Airline). From immigration perspective your a PR. Some people have mentioned here that the visitor visa becomes invalid once you land. However, when I landed, the CBSA officer told me that I could use the visa.

PR cards are very fast these days. You will get it in a couple of weeks.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
The thing is that CBSA are not responsible for the visa process, that responsibility lies with IRCC so it is all very well for CBSA to imply a visa might still be valid for a while post landing until system catches up but there is no guarantee when an individual checks in for a flight as a PR without a card or a PRTD. Can take the risk no issue with the airline and if successful when arriving just present the COPR, but COPR no use for travel by commercial means once a PR

If the OP lives in Buffalo then anyway as said above they can use their COPR post landing to cross the land border by private or rental vehicle so having the visa is irrelevant unless travelling by air or commercial vehicle

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=064&top=10

Last edited:

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Your Visitor Visa will remain valid for air travel. (Only for showing to the Airline). From immigration perspective your a PR. Some people have mentioned here that the visitor visa becomes invalid once you land. However, when I landed, the CBSA officer told me that I could use the visa.

PR cards are very fast these days. You will get it in a couple of weeks.
No. One cannot enter using visitor visa after becoming immigrant. They will need to either renounce first and use visitor visa or too much waiting time at border to convince them that you are in process of renouncing and sign the declaration forms and what not, before entering as a visitor.

A person cannot just easily switch from immigrant to nonimmigrant status. I am surprised why that officer told but its not the case. The sytem will permanently show as immigrant and wont allow as a visitor unless immigrant status is renounced.

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
No. One cannot enter using visitor visa after becoming immigrant. They will need to either renounce first and use visitor visa or too much waiting time at border to convince them that you are in process of renouncing and sign the declaration forms and what not, before entering as a visitor.

A person cannot just easily switch from immigrant to nonimmigrant status. I am surprised why that officer told but its not the case. The sytem will permanently show as immigrant and wont allow as a visitor unless immigrant status is renounced.
The officer clearly mentioned using the Visa for showing to the airline only, not for changing status. Once you reach CBSA post, you can simply present your passport and tell them that you are PR. It is certainly possible that the officer was misinformed.The potential problem with this approach is that if the Visa has been canceled in their system and airline conducts some check before boarding, then the airline will refuse boarding. But the only way to know for sure is by doing it.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
You have to provide your visa before checking into the airline. The airlines computer system verifies the validity while processing the check in. It also checks the name and passport number provided.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
And when someone says that this isn't the case, here's how I know.

I flew from Shanghai to Vancouver. Had to enter passport number in the online checkin. Had to have passport number verified at the airport.

Landed Vancouver, used customs kiosk to fill out declaration. Declaration does not ask for flight numbers, but my declaration slip has my flight number on it when it printed.

How did the kiosk know what flight I was on? Airline sent passport information to CBSA.

So if you're a PR, and you enter your name and passport information into the checkin system, your validity for travel will be verified.

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
Except for the false information that you can use a visa to enter Canada as a PR.
Do you know this to be false? I was just quoting a CBSA officer and mentioned the risk also. Also, I made it very clear that it is for showing to the airline only and not actually 'entering' Canada as a PR.

If you want to get really technical, I know this for truth. A Visa only allows you to travel to a country. The 'entry' happens at the port of entry. That's why you can cross the Canada border via land if you travel using your own or rented car. Visa is only for the sake of the carrier.

The only way to know the truth is some official website or someone's own experience.