+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Multiple DUI

kheale01

Oct 27, 2015
My wife has more than one DUI/DWI (two, or maybe three, although the third might have been pleaded down to a lesser charge). These all happened before we even dated - I know, even one speaks to a certain disregard for societal norms and for the safety of herself and others, but that's all in the past, and she is a great mom to our two kids. All of the offenses occurred more than 10 years ago. There have been no other offenses of any kind in the intervening years. I know that, for the purposes of being allowed in to Canada, an individual can be considered to be rehabilitated by time if there was only one offense, but will the presence of more than one prevent us from even considering moving to Canada from the US? Does anyone have direct/personal experience with something like this? I have looked at the Canadian visa websites and I know that one can petition the Canadian government, but I was just wondering whether the attempt is usually met with success or if the government usually shoots down the application.

Thanks for any insight...

taffy7

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10th April 2014/June 10th 2014 application complete
Doc's Request.
09 June 2014 same doc's requested again 6th Oct 2014. docs not needed again mistake by cic
AOR Received.
sponsorship approval 05 Aug 2014
File Transfer...
05 Aug 2014
Med's Request
28 July 2015
Med's Done....
30th Dec 2013
Passport Req..
in process 18th July 2015/ DM 5/12/2015
LANDED..........
28/12/2015
I hope some one can shed more light on this, but i think that with more than one DUI your wife is not admissible to Canada even with 10 years that has passed .

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
This may be helpful reading. http://immigrationcanada.pro/criminal-issues/

mpottier

Star Member
Jan 23, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes your wife would have to apply for individual rehabilitation. There is no automatic 10 year deemed rehabilitation in her case, this is only for single offence cases. From what you have told us it would be matter of filling out the application (it's pretty short) and supplying all the documents showing the fines have been paid, FBI checks, court docs etc etc. Since you say 10 years have passed since the completion of the sentence then it should be ok. My wife recently got rehabilitation and supplied all kinds of character references etc. but they didn't really care all they wanted to see was that 5 or more years had passed since the incident(s). Then she got rehabilitation no problem. We actually did ours at a border crossing at New Brunswick/Maine, because my wife and I live near the border. Only took a few days to get. It is a big money grab, and even if you are refused you can apply again and again, their is no limit. While's DUI's are no laughing matter, they are not international inadmissibility caliber. People with driving convictions should not have the exact same restrictions placed on them as war criminals and mob bosses. A little perspective is needed. I have yet to see a crime that appears on an individuals record that does not make them inadmissible.

ninahaddad

Nov 6, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
10/06/2017
I hope some one can shed more light on this, but i think that with more than one DUI your wife is not admissible to Canada even with 10 years that has passed .
What ever happened with your application? I am in the same boat. I am Canadian living in the US applying for PR my American husband had 3 SUIs 201y years ago. Curious to find out what they told you...