+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

MPNP - Post Graduate Work Permit expiring, need help!

Chandigarh93

Sep 16, 2013
Hello,

My Post Graduate Work Permit is expiring on August 8, 2017. I applied my MPNP on January 7, 2017. The status still shows as 'pending assessment.' I want to know how I should proceed, do I have to wait for the MPNP to file for a work permit extension or can I apply for a work permit extension right away? If so then how?

I have asked my friends who applied before me and have been looking for answers on the threads. They all applied for the work permit after they got the MPNP as it only took 3 months back then. Now, they're taking around 6 months and my work permit is going to expire by then. I am very tensed and worried.

Any help would be appreciared.

Thank you in advance!

sunny_guyed

Jul 5, 2016
You should extend your work permit ASAP and do not wait until the last moment! Do not wait for your nomination to be finalized. It can take months and it is OK to extend your work permit. I believe you have a nomination letter and all proper documents so should not be a problem. Goodluck

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
Without a approved nomination, you cannot apply for a work permit. So if you don't get your nomination before your work permit expires, you can contact MPNP and ask if they could speed up the process or you can have your employer apply for LMIA

Reactions: Chandigarh93
A

abdisarockstar

Hello,

My Post Graduate Work Permit is expiring on August 8, 2017. I applied my MPNP on January 7, 2017. The status still shows as 'pending assessment.' I want to know how I should proceed, do I have to wait for the MPNP to file for a work permit extension or can I apply for a work permit extension right away? If so then how?

I have asked my friends who applied before me and have been looking for answers on the threads. They all applied for the work permit after they got the MPNP as it only took 3 months back then. Now, they're taking around 6 months and my work permit is going to expire by then. I am very tensed and worried.

Any help would be appreciared.

Thank you in advance!
Hi. Sorry to hear that. Since when did the application status change from received to pending assessment? Because a lot of people I know applied in March this year but the status still says received.

Chandigarh93

Sep 16, 2013
Hi. Sorry to hear that. Since when did the application status change from received to pending assessment? Because a lot of people I know applied in March this year but the status still says received.
Hi,

It took around 5 months to have the status changed to 'pending assessement.'

Chandigarh93

Sep 16, 2013
Without a approved nomination, you cannot apply for a work permit. So if you don't get your nomination before your work permit expires, you can contact MPNP and ask if they could speed up the process or you can have your employer apply for LMIA
Thank you! I called them today and my status got changed to 'assessment in process' now. Hopefully I get my PNP before my work permit expires.

A

abdisarockstar

Hi,

It took around 5 months to have the status changed to 'pending assessement.'
Thanks for your response. Happy to hear that the assessment is in process. Hopefully you'll get an email of approval soon. If you don't mind, can you share a timeline of your application? Mentioning about the date you applied, status changed to assessment pending and then assessment in process? Would be appreciated

Creamc

Aug 31, 2018
Hi all,I have just sent in my application for Mpnp August 28, received a file number next day. However,my post-grad work permit expires in October. What’s my best option? I would really appreciate if anyone who’s been in this situation to answer please...

sedsum

Star Member
Dec 7, 2019
Hi all,I have just sent in my application for Mpnp August 28, received a file number next day. However,my post-grad work permit expires in October. What’s my best option? I would really appreciate if anyone who’s been in this situation to answer please...
I am in the same situation right now and what happen to your case? Please share it will help me a lot and thanks.

Creamc

Aug 31, 2018
I am in the same situation right now and what happen to your case? Please share it will help me a lot and thanks.
So what I did was, I waited until 2 weeks before the expiration of my PGWP to apply for an extension. Be advised, the extension will be refused as PGWP is only issued once so this only buys you time to wait for a nomination. Or get an employer to apply for an LMIA on your behalf. My extension was refused (of course I knew it would) IRCC would then give another 90 days to restore your status or leave the country. I'm a physician's assistant, so by the time the extension came back refused, I already was nominated and had a job offer from the hospital where I work. I don't know where you work right now, but you could speak to your employer and explain your situation most employers understand this. Or, you could apply to skip the dishes, they hire and apply for LMIA for their employees needing this. I hope this helps you! it's a very tight situation but just hang in there.

sedsum

Star Member
Dec 7, 2019
So what I did was, I waited until 2 weeks before the expiration of my PGWP to apply for an extension. Be advised, the extension will be refused as PGWP is only issued once so this only buys you time to wait for a nomination. Or get an employer to apply for an LMIA on your behalf. My extension was refused (of course I knew it would) IRCC would then give another 90 days to restore your status or leave the country. I'm a physician's assistant, so by the time the extension came back refused, I already was nominated and had a job offer from the hospital where I work. I don't know where you work right now, but you could speak to your employer and explain your situation most employers understand this. Or, you could apply to skip the dishes, they hire and apply for LMIA for their employees needing this. I hope this helps you! it's a very tight situation but just hang in there.
So for now, my status also expired and I applied a Work Permit but without enough documents(PNP and Support Letter), the MPNP application status is still received. My plan is to upload the documents after getting meanwhile I will be on applied status. I know this is kind of like tricky but there is no option before me. My employer told me to do research about LMIA as they are not aware of the process. It is totally frustrating and I wish MPNP give priority depending upon applicants current status.

Creamc

Aug 31, 2018
So for now, my status also expired and I applied a Work Permit but without enough documents(PNP and Support Letter), the MPNP application status is still received. My plan is to upload the documents after getting meanwhile I will be on applied status. I know this is kind of like tricky but there is no option before me. My employer told me to do research about LMIA as they are not aware of the process. It is totally frustrating and I wish MPNP give priority depending upon applicants current status.
MPNP is not obliged to give priorities to any Immigrant!! It's totally on merits and first, come first serve! That's why they say to apply on time. The process can be very frustrating especially with a very short period of time given, but if you do your research as they've asked you to, there are materials you could print out from CIC directing employers wanting to apply for LMIA for an employee what to do. That's exactly what I did, I printed those out and gave my employer and they took it up from there. Your work permit will be denied (I'm sure you already know that ) the good thing is, it gives you enough time to try and get things in order. It’ll take about 3 months to get a response and then another a grace period of 3 months to restore your status so that's a total of 6 months . Hang in there...we’ve all been through it.

sedsum

Star Member
Dec 7, 2019
MPNP is not obliged to give priorities to any Immigrant!! It's totally on merits and first, come first serve! That's why they say to apply on time. The process can be very frustrating especially with a very short period of time given, but if you do your research as they've asked you to, there are materials you could print out from CIC directing employers wanting to apply for LMIA for an employee what to do. That's exactly what I did, I printed those out and gave my employer and they took it up from there. Your work permit will be denied (I'm sure you already know that ) the good thing is, it gives you enough time to try and get things in order. It’ll take about 3 months to get a response and then another a grace period of 3 months to restore your status so that's a total of 6 months . Hang in there...we’ve all been through it.
I have received my MPNP letter and Work Permit Support letter as well. I have mailed IRCC regarding my work permit application and uploaded those two documents and I am not sure they are going to accept these documents or not which I will hear very soon.

Also, I am confused that whether Nominee letter and Work Permit Suppor Letter from the province is enough to apply for Work Permit in my condition. Do I still need employer assistance? I have mentioned my employer regarding this but I am not sure what kind of response do I get from HR.

rs572

Dec 10, 2016
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Visa Office......
Delhi
App. Filed.......
18-05-2017,
AOR Received.
Application received on 18-05-2017
Med's Done....
Medical test passed on 27-05-2017
Passport Req..
27-07-2017
VISA ISSUED...
27-07-2017
LANDED..........
June 1, 2018
Can we continue to work during those 3 + 3 months ?