+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving US born children to Canada

couchguy5667

Jan 9, 2024
I am a Canadian citizen and my spouse is a Canadian PR and already has their PRTD to travel back to Canada. We have been living in the US for the last few years and are moving back to Canada.

While living in the US we have had 2 children. Both children will have their US passports.

What else do we need to be able to move back to Canada with our children?

We plan to fly back to Canada when we return but a land crossing is also an option for us.

Thanks in advance

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I am a Canadian citizen and my spouse is a Canadian PR and already has their PRTD to travel back to Canada. We have been living in the US for the last few years and are moving back to Canada.

While living in the US we have had 2 children. Both children will have their US passports.

What else do we need to be able to move back to Canada with our children?

We plan to fly back to Canada when we return but a land crossing is also an option for us.

Thanks in advance
If you were a Canadian citizen before the children were born, they are citizens. They can travel to Canada with their US passports. US citizens - even those who are Canadians - can come by plane or car, doesn't matter.

Ideally you would apply for their certificates of citizenship before you arrive, and if you have time, get them Canadian passports. Or apply for the certificates of citizenship after you arrive.

One caveat: either way you should declare them as citizens at the border/port of entry. Birth certificates showing parentage and your citizen should be sufficient.

The real reason to apply for the citizenship earlier: you should be able to avoid any issues with healthcare, schooling, random other stuff for the children. Some provinces might allow you to get healthcare for them with other docs, but a bit more complicated.