+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving to Ottawa from Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you for the info. I thought properties in Ottawa r lower when compared to Vancouver. Looks like the prices r same. Well have to rethink on moving nowo_O
Nowhere close to Vancouver. Vancouver is easily double. The Maritimes is just much more affordable compared to most of Canada.

zabrodov

Sep 19, 2018
Gatineau
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Montreal
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
11-11-2018
AOR Received.
11-11-2018
File Transfer...
24-01-2019
Passport Req..
02-08-2019
LANDED..........
02-09-2019
Ottawa has had a hot real estate market for a few years. Many relocating from Toronto. What was a more affordable city is slowly becoming unaffordable. Like Australia, this is only setting up future generations for problems unless they have an intergenerational wealth transfer. That or a housing crash. Neither great.
Oh yes, it's quite terrible. And it's kind of a vicious circle. With the price hikes, those who wanted to sell their properties and upgrade, are postponing the sales as they might end up selling what they have and not being able to afford a new house. That creates shortages in supply, which, along with the spikes in demand, leads to the insanity in the market.

However, it might end well for the underdeveloped rural communities as they are getting noticed by potential buyers and builders. While the cities become less and less affordable, small towns may have a good chance to be developed and improved.

Thank you for the info. I thought properties in Ottawa r lower when compared to Vancouver. Looks like the prices r same. Well have to rethink on moving now
Ottawa is still cheaper than Toronto or Vancouver. It's just more stable than any other city as more people have secure employment in the government or work in the high-tech sector. Since 2000, even there was only 1 year when the housing prices dropped in the NCR and the drop was only 1%.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Oh yes, it's quite terrible. And it's kind of a vicious circle. With the price hikes, those who wanted to sell their properties and upgrade, are postponing the sales as they might end up selling what they have and not being able to afford a new house. That creates shortages in supply, which, along with the spikes in demand, leads to the insanity in the market.

However, it might end well for the underdeveloped rural communities as they are getting noticed by potential buyers and builders. While the cities become less and less affordable, small towns may have a good chance to be developed and improved.

Ottawa is still cheaper than Toronto or Vancouver. It's just more stable than any other city as more people have secure employment in the government or work in the high-tech sector. Since 2000, even there was only 1 year when the housing prices dropped in the NCR and the drop was only 1%.
You will find that almost all cities in Canada have seen very few home price decreases. Some generations just assume prices just go up because they have never seen a correction or price stagnation. The one exception are communities that are really linked to the resource sector. Many people have their retirement in real estate and their plans are to cash out when they retire. Past generations have benefitted in large increases in equity while doing nothing and as well as purchase prices that were in line with salaries. They also benefitted from job security, jobs with benefits and pensions. Will be very interesting to see what happens as the baby boomers die off. Some will have huge transfer of wealth while others will never be able to get onto the property ladder. There are many children who would not be able to afford down payments, daycare costs, etc. without help from mom and dad. This was only the case in the bigger cities but is spreading to other communities as prices increase.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi Sharkando, you may want to take a look at some of the properties for sale by Greystone Village in Ottawa East if you're looking for a family-friendly neighborhood in Ottawa, Ontario. You can click here if you wish to view the units they have for sale. The community is surrounded with the things that you'd like to live near to with a growing family like schools, parks, hospitals, and grocery stores. The place also has lots of amenities nearby that you and your family can enjoy like various attractions (theatres, museums, and more), fitness centers, as well as a wide selection of restaurants and cafes.
If you are a real estate agentor in home sales you should be declaring your interest

namratha_s

Sep 17, 2014
Hi I am back with few more questions. So I found an apartment for me in gatineau,QC. I saw on internet for pros and cons of staying in Quebec and working in ON. Wat would you guys suggest? I saw on internet that taxes r high. But if I work in ON will my taxes be for QC or ON? Can someone please guide me on this please. Thankyou

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi I am back with few more questions. So I found an apartment for me in gatineau,QC. I saw on internet for pros and cons of staying in Quebec and working in ON. Wat would you guys suggest? I saw on internet that taxes r high. But if I work in ON will my taxes be for QC or ON? Can someone please guide me on this please. Thankyou
If you live in Quebec, you are a resident of Quebec so yes, your pay taxes for living in the province. Many people live and work in different provinces. Your payslips will show Ontario taxes but are adjusted so you will pay more than Ontario taxes.

Reactions: namratha_s

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Lots of pros and cons. If you are working in the Kanata office living in Gatineau would be an extremely long commute. Have you looked at commuting? Will you be driving to your workplace? Have you looked sat the price of parking if downtown? If working downtown many take public transportation. It doesn't always end up being less expensive to rent in Gatineau. Do you speak French? Most people can speak some English but it is a French neighbourhood. Would really suggest visiting greater Ottawa and getting a feel for the area before making any decisions. Renting and buying are very different. Rental prices haven't increased in line with housing costs.

teas

Sep 22, 2020
Hi there. If you're wanting to try and get a feel for the different neighbourhoods in Ottawa and where might be best for you then this guide has a good overview of Ottawa to help you get your bearings: https://www.canadafornewbies.com/living-in-ottawa/
It's also got a pretty good summary of cost of living.
If you're going to be working downtown, intend to drive to work, and you want to be able to afford a house then one of the southern suburbs might be a good shout over Kanata. I think it's typically cheaper and one suburb is not a whole lot different to others. Plus you're closer to Manotick which is lovely!
I'm definitely not a tax expert but if you live in Quebec then it is Quebec you file your taxes with.
Hope this helps!

Sharkando

Star Member
Feb 20, 2017
Hello all,

Thank you for your replies. I have moved to Ottawa because I switched jobs and they wanted me in ON. After seeing few properties here, I am rethinking moving somewhere else (Maybe Edmonton). We want a single-family home and it's just not available below 900K (decent, modern house).

zabrodov

Sep 19, 2018
Gatineau
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Montreal
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
11-11-2018
AOR Received.
11-11-2018
File Transfer...
24-01-2019
Passport Req..
02-08-2019
LANDED..........
02-09-2019
Hello all,

Thank you for your replies. I have moved to Ottawa because I switched jobs and they wanted me in ON. After seeing few properties here, I am rethinking moving somewhere else (Maybe Edmonton). We want a single-family home and it's just not available below 900K (decent, modern house).
Look at Gatineau

deadbird

Jan 9, 2016
Hello all,

@Sharkando it seems like the Ottawa housing market is cooling down - https://wowa.ca/ottawa-housing-market [Sale price dipped since Apr'21]
Would you consider waiting some more before deciding to leave?

Sharkando

Star Member
Feb 20, 2017
@Sharkando it seems like the Ottawa housing market is cooling down - https://wowa.ca/ottawa-housing-market [Sale price dipped since Apr'21]
Would you consider waiting some more before deciding to leave?
We have waited too long. I am just sick of these house price discrepancies. They advertise for 700K but want 850-900K in offer. Stupid bidding wars, people are rushing like there is no tomorrow.

We once put an offer on a house for 860 in Ottawa. It was sold for 940.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
We have waited too long. I am just sick of these house price discrepancies. They advertise for 700K but want 850-900K in offer. Stupid bidding wars, people are rushing like there is no tomorrow.

We once put an offer on a house for 860 in Ottawa. It was sold for 940.
Its matter of time before the downtown. The townhouse that used to cost 600k are now 800+ in Vancouver. New Detached from 1.4m going up. Its crazy especially for the first buyer......

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/business/article-canadas-housing-market-overheated-overvalued-and-at-risk-of-a-downturn/

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello all,

The hotter the job markets the higher the prices. The prices are going up so much in Ottawa because there are more opportunities than Edmonton. If you can find a job in Edmonton then move but wouldn’t move without a job.