+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving to Ottawa from Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island

Sharkando

Star Member
Feb 20, 2017
Hello,

I live and work in Charlottetown, PEI. I have a wife and a newborn baby. I work remotely right now and my wife is on maternity leave therefore we have been thinking to move to Ontario, especially Ottawa, or surrounding areas for a career growth perspective. Any advice on the following would be appreciated.
  • Neighborhood to raise a family
  • Any small towns around Ottawa (in the drivable distance to City)?
  • Any other things I should be aware of?

Thank you.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Where will you be working or your wife? Do you have a budget because that will dictate your neighbourhood? The housing market is really hot outside of Ottawa because people want rural properties. If your work in IT, look at Kanata/Stittsville...further out Carleton Place.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Why would you want to move to Ontario when things like the covid case and death rate are generally higher than PEI. Do you want to give your family at risk?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,

I live and work in Charlottetown, PEI. I have a wife and a newborn baby. I work remotely right now and my wife is on maternity leave therefore we have been thinking to move to Ontario, especially Ottawa, or surrounding areas for a career growth perspective. Any advice on the following would be appreciated.
  • Neighborhood to raise a family
  • Any small towns around Ottawa (in the drivable distance to City)?
  • Any other things I should be aware of?

Thank you.
Would be really be best to secure employment first. If you are on one side of the city (or in the suburbs) and your job is on the complete other side you will be commuting for a very long time. If you live in somewhere like Carleton place and commute intomore central Ottawa you will commuting for 3-4 hours a day. PEI is a small place where you don’t have to consider commuting distance. Budget will be a big issue. As mentioned Ottawa is a very hot market. Would really suggest renting initially to get a feel for the city and where you want to live and find jobs before making such a huge purchase.

Reactions: Sharkando

Sharkando

Star Member
Feb 20, 2017
Where will you be working or your wife? Do you have a budget because that will dictate your neighbourhood? The housing market is really hot outside of Ottawa because people want rural properties. If your work in IT, look at Kanata/Stittsville...further out Carleton Place.
Thanks for the reply. I have been working for a Bank in Ottawa so I will have employment when we make a move, I can switch jobs later and my wife works in Financial Industry so she can find something after her Maternity leave. I have also been looking at Stittsville and Kanata as Kanata is an IT hub. Our budget would be around 600K it's the expensive housing market everywhere I am more worried about.

Sharkando

Star Member
Feb 20, 2017
Why would you want to move to Ontario when things like the covid case and death rate are generally higher than PEI. Do you want to give your family at risk?
Thanks for the reply. This is more like for later in the Year. Hopefully Covid cases would go down by then because of vaccination :).

Sharkando

Star Member
Feb 20, 2017
Would be really be best to secure employment first. If you are on one side of the city (or in the suburbs) and your job is on the complete other side you will be commuting for a very long time. If you live in somewhere like Carleton place and commute intomore central Ottawa you will commuting for 3-4 hours a day. PEI is a small place where you don’t have to consider commuting distance. Budget will be a big issue. As mentioned Ottawa is a very hot market. Would really suggest renting initially to get a feel for the city and where you want to live and find jobs before making such a huge purchase.
Thanks for the reply. Commuting time would sure be a challenge for me since we don't really have to pay attention to that in PEI. I thought commuting time would be around 30 min to an hour one way :(.

Also, the reason we want to make a move is because of the career perspective in the future. PEI is a small place compared to Ottawa or any other cities and does not have many job opportunities.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for the reply. I have been working for a Bank in Ottawa so I will have employment when we make a move, I can switch jobs later and my wife works in Financial Industry so she can find something after her Maternity leave. I have also been looking at Stittsville and Kanata as Kanata is an IT hub. Our budget would be around 600K it's the expensive housing market everywhere I am more worried about.
Is there a reason you are looking at Stittsville and Kanata?

namratha_s

Sep 17, 2014
Hi i am moving to Ottawa as well working in IT industry. initially obviously I will have to look something on rent. I have no clue about Ottawa but have to move sooner due to job. even on renting perspective how is Kanata and Stittsville. any other places if you guys suggest and obviously buying property as well. my office is in Preston street

Sharkando

Star Member
Feb 20, 2017
Hi i am moving to Ottawa as well working in IT industry. initially obviously I will have to look something on rent. I have no clue about Ottawa but have to move sooner due to job. even on renting perspective how is Kanata and Stittsville. any other places if you guys suggest and obviously buying property as well. my office is in Preston street
I would suggest you rent first, close to your job and see if you like the area. That would also give you time to look at properties to buy.

Reactions: namratha_s

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Mostly, because Kanata is an IT hub. Stittsville is just close to Kanata so I thought it would be a bit less expensive.
Stittsville was more of a mature crowd when I lived there. Kanata is just another suburb but unless you think you are going to work in IT in a company that is located in kanata I’m not sure if I would be focusing on that area. Not all IT jobs are in Karnata. Would personally rent to get a feel for the city and see if you can secure jobs before buying.

namratha_s

Sep 17, 2014
Stittsville was more of a mature crowd when I lived there. Kanata is just another suburb but unless you think you are going to work in IT in a company that is located in kanata I’m not sure if I would be focusing on that area. Not all IT jobs are in Karnata. Would personally rent to get a feel for the city and see if you can secure jobs before buying.
thankyou for your response.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
If you are working on Preston Street that is close to Downtown. In fact, Preston Street is called Little Italy. There are some great condos/rentals in Westboro, Hintonburg and Downtown. You can walk or bike everywhere.