+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving to NS from the US

Jun 1, 2016
I am a newbie here but not new to immigration, at least from the U.S. side. I am an American and my husband is a dual citizen. I am two years from retiring as an elementary special education teacher here in the States and we are planning to move to my husband's home in the Yarmouth County area of Nova Scotia. All his family are there and his parents are willing to let us live with them until we have a home of our own. As I understand it, my husband has to go ahead and get a job before he can apply for me and our daughter? She is 20 and again, as I understand what I'm reading, she can be a part of the application as long as she's under 26? I will have a retirement income, albeit small, but income nonetheless. Will that help our application? I am researching all this but wanted to post and ask others who might have experience with our specifics. Thank you in advance for any advice you might be able to share.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I am a newbie here but not new to immigration, at least from the U.S. side. I am an American and my husband is a dual citizen. I am two years from retiring as an elementary special education teacher here in the States and we are planning to move to my husband's home in the Yarmouth County area of Nova Scotia. All his family are there and his parents are willing to let us live with them until we have a home of our own. As I understand it, my husband has to go ahead and get a job before he can apply for me and our daughter? She is 20 and again, as I understand what I'm reading, she can be a part of the application as long as she's under 26? I will have a retirement income, albeit small, but income nonetheless. Will that help our application? I am researching all this but wanted to post and ask others who might have experience with our specifics. Thank you in advance for any advice you might be able to share.
- No. He does not need to have a job before he sponsors you.
- Your daughter can be included in the application if she is 21 years old or younger (not 26).
- Your retirement income isn't relevant to the application.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Is your daughter your husband's biological child? Was your husband either born in Canada or naturalized in Canada prior to your daughter's birth?

If yes to both, she is a Canadian citizen.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would warn you that you may struggle to find a family doctor. Given you are of retirement age that is something you should consider especially if you have health issues.

Svanbavel1

May 12, 2018
Halifax, Nova Scotia

Hi Karen! I am in NS and relocated from Denver, CO last Dec. My husband is Canadian, we have one dual citizen kiddo and our oldest kiddo and I have PR. I did the entire process of the paperwork myself and would be happy to help answer any questions and share my experience if you would like? My husband did not have a job here when we got approval, we just had to show that he is able to get a job and we have the funds to support the family. (They mainly want to see that we are not going to be needed additional financial assistance upon arriving) Feel free to send me a message and I'll give you any tips I can. When you start the paperwork, there is also a google doc page created that you can enter in your dates throughout the process and see how others move forward as well. My application was approved in 4 mo! :)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You will have to show that you will relocate soon after approval. Are you planning to relocate even though you are 2 years from retirement? Maybe your husband is already retired and will be able to prove that he is going to relocate. IRCC has really became strict about proof of intent to relocate since many people never actually moved back to Canada.