+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving to NS from the US

Discussion in 'Permanent Residence in Canada' started by _Karen_Cee_2018, Nov 30, 2019.

  1. I am a newbie here but not new to immigration, at least from the U.S. side. I am an American and my husband is a dual citizen. I am two years from retiring as an elementary special education teacher here in the States and we are planning to move to my husband's home in the Yarmouth County area of Nova Scotia. All his family are there and his parents are willing to let us live with them until we have a home of our own. As I understand it, my husband has to go ahead and get a job before he can apply for me and our daughter? She is 20 and again, as I understand what I'm reading, she can be a part of the application as long as she's under 26? I will have a retirement income, albeit small, but income nonetheless. Will that help our application? I am researching all this but wanted to post and ask others who might have experience with our specifics. Thank you in advance for any advice you might be able to share.
  2. - No. He does not need to have a job before he sponsors you.
    - Your daughter can be included in the application if she is 21 years old or younger (not 26).
    - Your retirement income isn't relevant to the application.
  3. Is your daughter your husband's biological child? Was your husband either born in Canada or naturalized in Canada prior to your daughter's birth?

    If yes to both, she is a Canadian citizen.
  4. Would warn you that you may struggle to find a family doctor. Given you are of retirement age that is something you should consider especially if you have health issues.

Share This Page