+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving to Canada

Emmyfridaa_

Sep 13, 2019
Hello everyone, I have a visitor visa to Canada and I would love to seek for a refugee status on arrival at the airport in Montreal.what documents do I need for that and to what official do I make my request to?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
You can claim asylum from the first uniformed CBSA officer you see. This is typically at customs and immigration after you get off the plane. You simply have to make it crystal clear that you are asking for asylum. Something as simple as "I would like to claim asylum" is enough. The officer will take it from there.

Make sure you do not destroy any documents that go to prove your identity - this is a common myth. Destroying your passport will not prevent CBSA from deporting you if you don't get asylum.

You also should bring any and all documents that prove your status as a refugee/the reason for claiming asylum. All these will be used in your refugee hearing to determine whether or not you will be accepted as a refugee. Things like police reports, medical reports, evidence of harm done to you, etc.

If you do not have evidence/aren't a genuine refugee, you can expect to be deported at some point.

Emmyfridaa_

Sep 13, 2019
Thank you so much for the quick
You can claim asylum from the first uniformed CBSA officer you see. This is typically at customs and immigration after you get off the plane. You simply have to make it crystal clear that you are asking for asylum. Something as simple as "I would like to claim asylum" is enough. The officer will take it from there.

Make sure you do not destroy any documents that go to prove your identity - this is a common myth. Destroying your passport will not prevent CBSA from deporting you if you don't get asylum.

You also should bring any and all documents that prove your status as a refugee/the reason for claiming asylum. All these will be used in your refugee hearing to determine whether or not you will be accepted as a refugee. Things like police reports, medical reports, evidence of harm done to you, etc.

If you do not have evidence/aren't a genuine refugee, you can expect to be deported at some point.
S

Emmyfridaa_

Sep 13, 2019
Thank you so much.please,I wish to know what happens when you tell an immigration officer you want to make an asylum claim.After questioning do there give you a place to live? Because I do not have anyone in Canada.Also,how long does it take for one to be eligible to apply for a work permit?

Emmyfridaa_

Sep 13, 2019
Thank you so much.please,I wish to know what happens when you tell an immigration officer you want to make an asylum claim.After questioning do there give you a place to live? Because I do not have anyone in Canada.Also,how long does it take for one to be eligible to apply for a work permit?

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If you do not have a place to live you will have to use your savings to find housing or you should go to the homeless shelters for other homeless Canadians.

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
Thank you.i read that if you don't have the means to fund yourself social welfare will support you financially.is it true?
If you don’t have the means to support yourself then you would not have been approved a TRV. Let’s get that first thing straight.

There are some social assistance but it is barely enough to live. If you are under threat of personal persecution and you decide to continue your asylum claim you should be focusing on acquiring a work permit instead of welfare.

Reactions: canuck78

star.igg

Star Member
Sep 14, 2019
If you don’t have the means to support yourself then you would not have been approved a TRV. Let’s get that first thing straight.

There are some social assistance but it is barely enough to live. If you are under threat of personal persecution and you decide to continue your asylum claim you should be focusing on acquiring a work permit instead of welfare.
My neighbor is a Syrian refugee who has not worked a single day in last 3-4 yrs of moving here. He has 2 kids now so I am assuming social welfare doesn't pay that bad.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My neighbor is a Syrian refugee who has not worked a single day in last 3-4 yrs of moving here. He has 2 kids now so I am assuming social welfare doesn't pay that bad.
Definitely doesn’t pay well. He is likely visiting a food bank and the only reason he is surviving is because he has the CCB for 2 children. He may have kept the start-up money he received awarded or money via private sponsorship. Depending on the refugee, the family may have arrived with savings.

Reactions: jddd