+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

moving to Canada

Apr 15, 2018
Hi,

Me and my husband are engineers working on lead level with top MNCs in the oil and gas sector (work exp 14 and 15 years respectively). Our combined package in India is about 55,00,000 Rs per Annum. We lead quite comfortable lives in India by Indian standard for eg - own two cars, have domestic help to do all the household chores etc. We dont have kids and dont plan on having any in the future so there are no hassles in our lives which involve kids like schooling issues etc.
The only reason we can think of leaving our country and moving to a foreign land is to have a "better quality of life" meaning better work-life balance, better environment which is pollution free, less corruption, beautiful surroundings, clean garbage free environment etc.
I do worry that we will miss the comforts which India can provide us like cheap labour (plumbing, carpenters) etc., we are not used to doing work on our own which is true for many others like us in India. I have also read threads on how skilled professionals from India are unable to find jobs in their fields - I know that Calgary has many MNCs in oil and gas and many of which we have worked with in the past and also the current companies we work in at present. But what if they do not offer us jobs there? Basically I need some advice if or not we should move to Canada leaving our comfort zones and comfortable lives in India.
Thanks in advance for your help.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
Reactions: movetocanada14

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
If you are not planning to have kids, then it is definitely not worth moving. It would be an easy answer.

There would be a tidy struggle before you establish yourself in Canada, and people wouldn't mind that for the sake of their kids. But if you take that out of equation, it is not worth any struggle that too from a position where you are in India.

thisworks

Star Member
Apr 17, 2017
Boston, US
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
NOC Code......
Doc's Request.
02-10-2017
AOR Received.
14-09-2017
Med's Done....
10-08-2017
Passport Req..
12-10-2017
VISA ISSUED...
18-10-2017
If you are not planning to have kids, then it is definitely not worth moving. It would be an easy answer.

There would be a tidy struggle before you establish yourself in Canada, and people wouldn't mind that for the sake of their kids. But if you take that out of equation, it is not worth any struggle that too from a position where you are in India.
I agree. You've got a comfortable life in India, earning $100k between the two in a place where cost of living is a fraction of Canada. What's the point of going through the struggle - goes against the premise of wanting a better life.

Apr 15, 2018
Thanks all. Appreciate the time you all took to answer my question.
Can someone tell me why does the Canadian government have the skilled professional entry program. Is there a shortage of skilled professionals in Canada? skilled professionals, I understand mean doctors, engineers, lawyers etc. And then I read in some posts that immigrants dont manage to find jobs in their line of work exp and have to drive cabs to sustain themselves. If that is the case , then why are there express entry programmes in place which ‘invite’ skilled professionals into the country and then not offer them jobs? I dont mean to offend anyone, its a concept I don’t understand genuinely. Thanks

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
If that is the case , then why are there express entry programmes in place which ‘invite’ skilled professionals into the country and then not offer them jobs?
yes, this is the question that everyone one wants to know! It doesn't make sense to recruit skilled immigrants and then put up all these barriers to prevent them from working (in the chosen field). This is a very hot topic, one that frustrates many. It is likely a prime example of one government policy not working with another (ex. federal government allows skilled worker immigration but then the separate organization than handles licensing of say, health professionals, have strict rules on how foreign trained workers can get licensed).

Reactions: thisworks

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
Thanks all. Appreciate the time you all took to answer my question.
Can someone tell me why does the Canadian government have the skilled professional entry program. Is there a shortage of skilled professionals in Canada? skilled professionals, I understand mean doctors, engineers, lawyers etc. And then I read in some posts that immigrants dont manage to find jobs in their line of work exp and have to drive cabs to sustain themselves. If that is the case , then why are there express entry programmes in place which ‘invite’ skilled professionals into the country and then not offer them jobs? I dont mean to offend anyone, its a concept I don’t understand genuinely. Thanks
Canada has ageing population, hence government lets immigration/human capital to keep the economy afloat.

People in IT and some other fields do find jobs easily these days. In IT, these days I am seeing many coming with job offers even from India.

People belonging to regulated professions such as doctor, engineer (except software), teaching, law, any healthcare etc need to clear lot of tough exams before they could practice or work here. West has certain standards for certain professions and Canadian PR just gives a chance to get in. It's up to the immigrants to do the needful to get qualified to work. They just cannot have a doctor who studied in abc medical college in remote Indian village to practice medicine in Canada.

People in such professions actually do immigrate knowing this fact, but once they cannot clear the exams they start feeling frustrated and start blaming the system.There are also other professions where job opportunities generally scarce in any country.. like sociology etc. Such professions have difficulty in getting jobs too.

Reactions: thisworks
Apr 15, 2018
Thanks. In response to what DEEPCUR said, can anybody guide me to specific links explaining what type of tests would someone in my line of work would have to pass in order to get a decent job in my line of work. I am a control systems engineer working for Fluor Corporation and have work exp leading projects in detail design related to upstream oil and gas engineering. I have previously worked for similar other multi nationals. I tried to google but didn’t manage to get specific answers.

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
Thanks. In response to what DEEPCUR said, can anybody guide me to specific links explaining what type of tests would someone in my line of work would have to pass in order to get a decent job in my line of work. I am a control systems engineer working for Fluor Corporation and have work exp leading projects in detail design related to upstream oil and gas engineering. I have previously worked for similar other multi nationals. I tried to google but didn’t manage to get specific answers.
Sorry no offense meant to you.. You asked suggestions on immigrating to Canada.. everyone recommended not moving for your situation, but you seem to be continuing to ask questions on immigrating totally oblivious to what others posted.

What is the point of this whole thread then?

Reactions: qureishi and scylla

thisworks

Star Member
Apr 17, 2017
Boston, US
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
NOC Code......
Doc's Request.
02-10-2017
AOR Received.
14-09-2017
Med's Done....
10-08-2017
Passport Req..
12-10-2017
VISA ISSUED...
18-10-2017
Sorry no offense meant to you.. You asked suggestions on immigrating to Canada.. everyone recommended not moving for your situation, but you seem to be continuing to ask questions on immigrating totally oblivious to what others posted.

What is the point of this whole thread then?
hahaha.

StevieFray

Jan 26, 2015
Nomination.....
17-07-2017
Passport Req..
15-01-2018
At this point given the economic outlook in the Canadian oil and gas sector I would probably recommend staying in India.
lol now now, don't recommend that if you're not there, unless you decide to move to India and experience life there first hand.