+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving to Canada with expired PR and taking non PR Wife and kids together

pareshb

Apr 24, 2017
Hi All,

I have a following situation

MY PR card has expired but my PR status is still valid and I have USA GC and I will be citizen in 2 month. American GC or passport allows me to enter Canada and possibly restore my PR card in couple of years. I had to move out of Canada due to family circumstances. I was single when I received my PR and but now I want to move to Canada with my wife and two kids. My PR card expired in march 2016 and I did not meet the RO.

Question 1: If I move to Canada then can I invite my wife and kids on dependent visa (if it exist) on expired PR card and then apply for their PR from within Canada on expired PR card.

Since I don't plan to move without the family, if response to Question 1 is negative, I plan to renounce my PR status and reapply of PR with my family under express entry. Here are the questions related to this scenario

Question 2: How much processing time does it take to renounce the PR status
Question 3: Will the renouncing of PR status and applying through express entry (I have a solid CRS score to get an ITA) have any negative impact on my re-application.

Alternatively, I also have the possibility of taking a internal job transfer from my company to Canada.
with this option
Question 4: can I renounce my PR status and apply for work permit and then take my wife and kids as my dependent and then apply for PR under express entry from within Canada.

The main thing I want to make sure is what is the easiest way for me to move to Canada along with my family. I also don't plan to apply restoration of PR card under humanitarian grounds as it take about 31 months to get an answer from CIC, hence I have considered the option of renouncing multiple times.

Thanks,
PB

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If you don't meet RO, then you cannot sponsor your wife and children as soon as you arrive in Canada. You'll need to return to Canada and live in Canada until you meet the residency obligation before you will be able to sponsor them for PR. If you try sooner, this will trigger an investigation of your own PR status and RO, and you can expect CIC to revoke your PR status (along with refusing your family's PR application).

Reactions: MummyKC

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Also upon entry to Canada, you may be reported by CBSA for not meeting RO which will start process to revoke your PR status.

If you renounce your PR status, you can certainly re-apply under express entry and include your family in the application. The renounced PR should have no effect on future apps.

pareshb

Apr 24, 2017
Thanks scylla and Rob_To.

Can somebody also help me answer

Thanks,
PB

MummyKC

Oct 23, 2018
Hi All,

I have a following situation

MY PR card has expired but my PR status is still valid and I have USA GC and I will be citizen in 2 month. American GC or passport allows me to enter Canada and possibly restore my PR card in couple of years. I had to move out of Canada due to family circumstances. I was single when I received my PR and but now I want to move to Canada with my wife and two kids. My PR card expired in march 2016 and I did not meet the RO.

Question 1: If I move to Canada then can I invite my wife and kids on dependent visa (if it exist) on expired PR card and then apply for their PR from within Canada on expired PR card.

Since I don't plan to move without the family, if response to Question 1 is negative, I plan to renounce my PR status and reapply of PR with my family under express entry. Here are the questions related to this scenario

Question 3: Will the renouncing of PR status and applying through express entry (I have a solid CRS score to get an ITA) have any negative impact on my re-application.

Alternatively, I also have the possibility of taking a internal job transfer from my company to Canada.
with this option
Question 4: can I renounce my PR status and apply for work permit and then take my wife and kids as my dependent and then apply for PR under express entry from within Canada.

The main thing I want to make sure is what is the easiest way for me to move to Canada along with my family. I also don't plan to apply restoration of PR card under humanitarian grounds as it take about 31 months to get an answer from CIC, hence I have considered the option of renouncing multiple times.

Thanks,
PB
Hi PB,
Just wondering what you have done in the situation you've described above? Any updates regarding the PR, renouncing, and the family moving. .. Would be great info :) thanks in advance.