+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving to Canada with Common Law From NZ

TJ R

Aug 13, 2019
I have spent the last year on a working holiday visa in New Zealand, and in that time have been with my common law partner, a New Zealand citizen. She has recently gotten a Canadian 24 month Visa to live and work, but as a US citizen myself, the same option may not be viable as the same visa is usually only granted to students from the USA. What sort of visa do I need in order yo live and work in British Columbia with her during the 24 month period?

yoks20

May 14, 2013
Philippines
Category........
Visa Office......
Vfs manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
July 5, 2019
Doc's Request.
11-07-2019
AOR Received.
04-07-2019
Med's Request
Waiting
Med's Done....
Waiting
If you
I have spent the last year on a working holiday visa in New Zealand, and in that time have been with my common law partner, a New Zealand citizen. She has recently gotten a Canadian 24 month Visa to live and work, but as a US citizen myself, the same option may not be viable as the same visa is usually only granted to students from the USA. What sort of visa do I need in order yo live and work in British Columbia with her during the 24 month period?
guys live together for 1 year or more you can apply for spousal open work permit

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Right, but what Visa do I need to move to Canada first, and then go about getting my job and work permit?
As an American, you don't need a visa to travel to Canada. You can enter as a visitor.

You can't just get a job and a work permit. Have you and your partner actually lived together continuously for one year and do you have documentation to support it? If you are actually common-law and if your common-law partner comes to Canada and gets a skilled job, you can apply for an OWP based on her work permit.

yoks20

May 14, 2013
Philippines
Category........
Visa Office......
Vfs manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
July 5, 2019
Doc's Request.
11-07-2019
AOR Received.
04-07-2019
Med's Request
Waiting
Med's Done....
Waiting
If she had a balid work permit she can sponsor you search spousal open work permit in Cic website

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
If she had a balid work permit she can sponsor you search spousal open work permit in Cic website
No, she can't. As already stated, she must have a skilled job in Canada before her common-law partner qualifies for an OWP.

Reactions: yoks20

yoks20

May 14, 2013
Philippines
Category........
Visa Office......
Vfs manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
July 5, 2019
Doc's Request.
11-07-2019
AOR Received.
04-07-2019
Med's Request
Waiting
Med's Done....
Waiting
No, she can't. As already stated, she must have a skilled job in Canada before her common-law partner qualifies for an OWP.
Oh sorry i stand corrected thanks canuck!