+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving to Canada from USA - TRV to PR holder

AJ_C

Aug 5, 2017
Hi,
I will be moving to Toronto area from USA in a couple of weeks. I will be coming as a Temporary Resident Visa(TRV) with a work permit.
However, my PR application through express entry program is in progress and I hope to get a decision by October/November-2017.
Here are my questions -
  • I am planning to drive my car across the border. I called up the Canada Border services agency(CBSA) and checked on the process. They told me that there is no need to import the car when coming on a TRV. However, i will have to perform the import process when my status changes to PR. Can some one elaborate on the process of export/import of car and sequences of things (at border, registration, taxes and duties if any,insurance etc)that i would need to do. I found a lot of material online but still couldn't get hold of all the actions involved.
  • I am planning to use a mover to transport my household stuffs to Canada. I read that things you bring along with you as a first time resident is duty-free. How does it work in my case when I am first coming in as a Temporary resident and then may change my status in to a Permanent resident.