+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving furniture into Canada

Bingoye

Star Member
Nov 17, 2016
You must hold onto your copy of the stamped list to show to CBSA when your goods arrive. Process described here.

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Goods_To_Follow-Canada#When_you_claim_your_goods
Actually, I have filled up the BSF186 form myself (the shipping company provided them and told me to fill up)! So I have that on hand with me now.. Have I made a mistake?

Its YVR :(
  • Please note, you do not have to complete forms BSF186 or BSF186A before you land in Canada!

Reactions: trendz!!

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
  • Please note, you do not have to complete forms BSF186 or BSF186A before you land in Canada!
You don't NEED to fill in your own copies of BSF186(a) but it makes things a lot quicker going through Customs if you do.

pxlxyp

Star Member
Oct 15, 2018
Thank you all! So my first shipment arrived at my doorstep without me even having to clear it with customs so that's great. But my next shipment consists of alot alot of boxes so I'm worried about that one. but let's wait and see

Bingoye

Star Member
Nov 17, 2016
Before you land
  • Before you land in Canada, you should prepare two lists (preferably typewritten) of the possessions you intend to bring with you to Canada.
  • The lists should be:
    • a list of goods accompanying, that is, the goods that you will carry with you when you land
    • a list of the goods that will follow later
  • Please note that these need to be two separate lists.

subodhp

Jun 19, 2019
Toronto
Thank you all! So my first shipment arrived at my doorstep without me even having to clear it with customs so that's great. But my next shipment consists of alot alot of boxes so I'm worried about that one. but let's wait and see
Customs clearance is quite smooth, other than the need to personally visit cbsa office, you can literally be done in couple of minutes. A bigger worry is unpacking those boxes :)

pxlxyp

Star Member
Oct 15, 2018
Right, I have checked my customs forms. When I landed, they put a very specific 'Document Number' in the middle box at the top of each page, and stamped each page of the listing with a CBSA date stamp in the box in the bottom right hand corner of each page of the form.

If you don't have these, you should.

Perhaps the second CBSA guy was confused when you showed him the official form YOU completed, thinking this is what they had done. Point out to him that it does NOT have an official document number added in the box next to the 'Name of importer', nor has it been date stamped in the 'CBSA Stamp' box at the bottom right, and stress that YOU completed the form in advance thinking this is what you had to do.

Just FYI, my document number was 4312B4-17-069 (yours would of course be different, but this just give you an idea of the format).

HTH
Ahhh I'm so sorry for not responding to this - must have missed the notification! Thank you so much for this I'll give CBSA a call again to confirm that I have to do this. I did tell them I had filled up the form myself but nobody seemed to know anything so it was all just a bit confusing. My next shipment arrives next week so I'm going to pray that all will be fine!

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
Ahhh I'm so sorry for not responding to this - must have missed the notification! Thank you so much for this I'll give CBSA a call again to confirm that I have to do this. I did tell them I had filled up the form myself but nobody seemed to know anything so it was all just a bit confusing. My next shipment arrives next week so I'm going to pray that all will be fine!
You have my sympathy, they really do seems to have b****oxed it up from start to finish for you!

pxlxyp

Star Member
Oct 15, 2018
You have my sympathy, they really do seems to have b****oxed it up from start to finish for you!
Ahhh I'm so happy this is all done! It was so simple, when my boxes arrived in Canada I was asked to go to CBSA, with a shipper's manifest, my BSF186 form and my landing documents. I got there first thing in the morning and it went smoothly. The only hiccup was apparently I am not considered to be a settler because I landed 2 years ago so instead I'm a returning resident.. so they just asked if I had proof to show that I was living overseas. I didn't have anything on hand but thank goodness I have my UK visa page on my passport. Phew!!!! So happy it's all done and thank you everyone for your support!

Bingoye

Star Member
Nov 17, 2016
My furniture arrived today. I have
1) BSF715(Casual Goods Accounting Document)
2) B4(Personal Effects Accounting Document)
3) Good List
4) Manifest(Advice Note)
5) Bill of Lading
Are they enough to do Customs Clearance?

Thanks

pxlxyp

Star Member
Oct 15, 2018
My furniture arrived today. I have
1) BSF715(Casual Goods Accounting Document)
2) B4(Personal Effects Accounting Document)
3) Good List
4) Manifest(Advice Note)
5) Bill of Lading
Are they enough to do Customs Clearance?

Thanks
Are you a new settler or returning immigrant?

Reactions: Bingoye

Bingoye

Star Member
Nov 17, 2016
Are you a new settler or returning immigrant?
I did the soft landing on Dec. 5, 2018, but did not mentioned that we would move furniture to Toronto. We went back to our country and came back last week, telling the customs that we had some furniture to move here and the customs officer filled and gave us two forms.
So we belong to returning immigrants?

pxlxyp

Star Member
Oct 15, 2018
What happened to me was that I landed almost 2 years ago but only moved to Canada last month as a settler. But when I went to CBSA they said I'm considered a returning immigrant and asked to show proof that I have been living overseas the last 2 years. So I suggest just in case, bring a copy of some utility bills from your home country to show them

Reactions: Bingoye

Bingoye

Star Member
Nov 17, 2016
What happened to me was that I landed almost 2 years ago but only moved to Canada last month as a settler. But when I went to CBSA they said I'm considered a returning immigrant and asked to show proof that I have been living overseas the last 2 years. So I suggest just in case, bring a copy of some utility bills from your home country to show them
Thanks for your suggestions!