08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
Update: CBSA called me today!!

They apologized and said some officers might be new so they're not informed of such things. Sure

He said to come to the CBSA office at the airport to get my papers stamped. Question - after they get stamped? Should I send it to the shipping company? Or hold on to them till my boxes arrive?
You must hold onto your copy of the stamped list to show to CBSA when your goods arrive. Process described here.

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Goods_To_Follow-Canada#When_you_claim_your_goods

pxlxyp

Star Member
Oct 15, 2018
I would follow the online route suggested, they should then tell you how to get your forms stamped.

My CBSA contact was quite adamant that there is no time limit and was horrified that some of his colleagues 'still believe this'.
Hi again, I'm so frustrated. So I went to the CBSA office today to try to get my papers stamped. Unfortunately, the guy at the counter said he can't stamp it and they will only stamp it when my goods arrive and they've been checked?

I keep getting different information from these officers :(

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
Hi again, I'm so frustrated. So I went to the CBSA office today to try to get my papers stamped. Unfortunately, the guy at the counter said he can't stamp it and they will only stamp it when my goods arrive and they've been checked?

I keep getting different information from these officers :(
Yep - welcome to Canadian officialdom!

Have they given you an official form BSF186 (which tgey shoukd fill out for you and attach your list to). If they have NOT done that, cover yourself with another internet CBSA form complaint explaing again what happened as asking for an official rdply from the, that you can print to use to clear your goods when they arrive without yet more drama!

As a matter of interst, what Canadian airport is messing you around here?

pxlxyp

Star Member
Oct 15, 2018
Yep - welcome to Canadian officialdom!

Have they given you an official form BSF186 (which tgey shoukd fill out for you and attach your list to). If they have NOT done that, cover yourself with another internet CBSA form complaint explaing again what happened as asking for an official rdply from the, that you can print to use to clear your goods when they arrive without yet more drama!

As a matter of interst, what Canadian airport is messing you around here?
Actually, I have filled up the BSF186 form myself (the shipping company provided them and told me to fill up)! So I have that on hand with me now.. Have I made a mistake?

Its YVR :(

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
Actually, I have filled up the BSF186 form myself (the shipping company provided them and told me to fill up)! So I have that on hand with me now.. Have I made a mistake?

Its YVR :(
No you have not made a mistake, it is a common misunderstanding that you have to fill out the officisl form. All you need to do is create a list with one copy of items with a CAD value fir each and a total. CBSA normally take the ist, fill out the front sheet of BS 186, sign it and staple your list to it.

Suprised it is YVR, they handle loads of PR landings and should be well versed in this. I am not at home at the moment so cannot check to see what they did on my own BS186, I can reply with my own experience in a few days.

In the meantime, keep paper copies and prints of your actions and responses to date. Especially you web complaint and response, and write up what happened, the date and time of your second trip to tge airport, who you spoje to and what you said. I find when I have chapter and verse on everything, it all sails through fine and I wonder why I bothered, of course when I dont do this, it all screws up and I wish I had!!

Last edited:

pxlxyp

Star Member
Oct 15, 2018
No you have not made a mistake, it is a common misunderstanding that you have to fill out the officisl form. All you need to do is create a list with one copy of items with a CAD value fir each and a total. CBSA normally take the ist, fill out the front sheet of BS 186, sign it and staple your list to it.

Suprised it is YVR, they handle loads of PR landings and should be well versed in this. I am not at home at the moment so cannot check to see what they did on my own BS186, I can reply with my own experience in a few days.
I'll do that, and perhaps also to send another complaint email just in case! Would love to know how yours was filled up. Thank you again! Hopefully this gets resolved soon. I'll update when my boxes finally arrive :)

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
I'll do that, and perhaps also to send another complaint email just in case! Would love to know how yours was filled up. Thank you again! Hopefully this gets resolved soon. I'll update when my boxes finally arrive :)
Yeah, ill let you know on Monday when I have a quick trip home.

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
Right, I have checked my customs forms. When I landed, they put a very specific 'Document Number' in the middle box at the top of each page, and stamped each page of the listing with a CBSA date stamp in the box in the bottom right hand corner of each page of the form.

If you don't have these, you should.

Perhaps the second CBSA guy was confused when you showed him the official form YOU completed, thinking this is what they had done. Point out to him that it does NOT have an official document number added in the box next to the 'Name of importer', nor has it been date stamped in the 'CBSA Stamp' box at the bottom right, and stress that YOU completed the form in advance thinking this is what you had to do.

Just FYI, my document number was 4312B4-17-069 (yours would of course be different, but this just give you an idea of the format).

HTH

trendz!!

Sep 21, 2019
My wife will be landing as immigrant In Toronto in few months. There are items that will be shipped later from India to Canada . Items will only be clothes and Kitchen items. So I have few questions

1) What is the right way to send it ? We prefer shipping from india to Canada
2) How to avoid import duty ? My understanding is if she reports at the airport in Canada , then its fine and they wont charge us when items arrive ? BUt what is the right way to go about it ?
3) What is the right form to fill only for clothes and Kitchen items ?
5) She can carry a Well printed list of items and their value in CAD to show officer .Is that enough ?

6) Or should I just ask my father in law to ship it to my address under my name ? So my wife doesn't have to worry about giving all this list to the officer and she can answer No when officer ask if anything is to follow ?
For 4 large 23 kg bags of clothes and 4 large bag of kitchen items ( glass, spoon, plates, etc) will they charge me too much import rate ?

Please advice

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My wife will be landing as immigrant In Toronto in few months. There are items that will be shipped later from India to Canada . Items will only be clothes and Kitchen items. So I have few questions

2) How to avoid import duty ? My understanding is if she reports at the airport in Canada , then its fine and they wont charge us when items arrive ? BUt what is the right way to go about it ?
5) She can carry a Well printed list of items and their value in CAD to show officer .Is that enough ?

6) Or should I just ask my father in law to ship it to my address under my name ? So my wife doesn't have to worry about giving all this list to the officer and she can answer No when officer ask if anything is to follow ?
For 4 large 23 kg bags of clothes and 4 large bag of kitchen items ( glass, spoon, plates, etc) will they charge me too much import rate ?

Please advice
1) Prepare her BS 186 form (you can download the form from the CBSA website) and make sure CBSA stamp the form when she arrive at the secondary of the airport;
2) If the items are arrive separately, once they arrive, bring your stamped BS 186 form to your nearest custom office for clearance. You can go with your wife to the customs office if you like. Btw, what's your status in Canada?

subodhp

Jun 19, 2019
Toronto

Please advice
3. Same goods to follow form needs to be filled
5. Yes that is recommended. They will just add a form as a cover letter. Frankly kitchen and clothes are not there topmost things they are concerned about and just a gross list ex. 2 boxes of clothes, etc will suffice. Only mention those items separately which have considerably high value for example say any gilded costume or silverware. Got such items in fact it is better to provide photos.
6. It is simpler to declare it upfront than having to explain later

Reactions: trendz!!

trendz!!

Sep 21, 2019
1) Prepare her BS 186 form (you can download the form from the CBSA website) and make sure CBSA stamp the form when she arrive at the secondary of the airport;
2) If the items are arrive separately, once they arrive, bring your stamped BS 186 form to your nearest custom office for clearance. You can go with your wife to the customs office if you like. Btw, what's your status in Canada?

thank you so much steaky. I will do that. Im a citizen of canada

trendz!!

Sep 21, 2019
3. Same goods to follow form needs to be filled
5. Yes that is recommended. They will just add a form as a cover letter. Frankly kitchen and clothes are not there topmost things they are concerned about and just a gross list ex. 2 boxes of clothes, etc will suffice. Only mention those items separately which have considerably high value for example say any gilded costume or silverware. Got such items in fact it is better to provide photos.
6. It is simpler to declare it upfront than having to explain later

:)

thank you subodhp . I will do that. !! :)