+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving furniture into Canada

Bingoye

Star Member
Nov 17, 2016
What happened to me was that I landed almost 2 years ago but only moved to Canada last month as a settler. But when I went to CBSA they said I'm considered a returning immigrant and asked to show proof that I have been living overseas the last 2 years. So I suggest just in case, bring a copy of some utility bills from your home country to show them
Did you do the customs clearance in Toronto?

crewbunk

Star Member
May 6, 2014
Read thru the entire thread. We did soft landing 2.5 years ago n now finally move back to canada. We have our goods to follow stamp during first landing (which i made up the list very briefly). Now wer coming back for good in month n have shipment. What should we do? Should we prepare a new goods to follow form for custom to stamp upon arrive airport? Or bring old form to clear custom. I saw the document no. 29 said theres no time limit for importing goods to follow as long as its in the list. Is that true? Thx

Prapri2912

Star Member
Mar 3, 2019
Hi everyone.. We plan on shipping some furniture and some other stuff from India that I declared when I first landed in Dec 2019...can someone please walk me through the steps and procedure..

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hi everyone.. We plan on shipping some furniture and some other stuff from India that I declared when I first landed in Dec 2019...can someone please walk me through the steps and procedure..

1. Contact a number of shippers or their agents in India to get a quote.
2. You or your agent will have to complete a shipping manifest.
3. Make sure the container is door to door, if you don't have much stuff it will be more effective to use a pool.
4. When you find out the price, unless the furniture is an antique, you will be better off selling it and buying in Canada.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
4. When you find out the price, unless the furniture is an antique, you will be better off selling it and buying in Canada.
But the poster might not find new furniture in Canada as comfortable as the old one. In that case, it's better to ship it to Canada.

milon45

Star Member
Jul 10, 2023
Hi! I have a similar issue that just happened today:

I got my PR and soft landed in Canada in Dec 2017. After which, I did my Masters in London, UK and lived there till July 2019. It was only today that I landed in Canada as a settler with my husband. I handed the officer a list of goods to follow (BSF 186 form) as I had boxes being shipped from London to here caperemovals.co.za. However, the officer said I should have provided this list when I first landed or within a year from my landing. I'm really worried as I declared alot of goods with the shipping company and am very worried that I will have to pay taxes for my own personal belongings that are coming. Is there any way I can get this without having to pay import taxes?

Thank you.
Hey guys, So I've decided that I'll be leaving my NYC apartment in 3-4 months, but what I'm most worried about is what I'll do with all my furniture and things :/ I plan on leaving the apartment and traveling for perhaps 3 months, so I'm thinking if I should either put the items into storage or sell or just give them away Has anyone else been in a similar situation?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey guys, So I've decided that I'll be leaving my NYC apartment in 3-4 months, but what I'm most worried about is what I'll do with all my furniture and things :/ I plan on leaving the apartment and traveling for perhaps 3 months, so I'm thinking if I should either put the items into storage or sell or just give them away Has anyone else been in a similar situation?

You should had been similar situation only a week ago, when you move from AZ to WY. Why not move everything to WY?