+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving from US to Canada permanently

Anpman

Apr 15, 2018
Hello frenz,
If everything goes I wl have to move to Canada from US in 2 weeks.I have few questions regarding that.
1.any checklist to do things before I completely wind up from US?
2. Plz suggest movers & packers to take household stuff ..how much do they charge ? Can u keep my stuff in storage in Canada for sometime , till I get home to stay?
3.in which bank Shld I open my bank account ?
4.Shld I transfer all my money from usa to Canada ? What is the cheapest way to do that?
5.what brand jacket is good for Canadian winters?
6.has anybody forwarded their usa mail to Canadian address?
Sorry to ask soo many questions, but this forum helps me always.plz reply .
Thank you soo much in advance

Aug 10, 2018
Don’t know all of it but here’s some I can share

if you are bringing your car, some dmv require you to report exportation before you go

if you have cc in US with no foreign transaction fee, you can use that and not move all the money. You still need to report foreign accounts when filing tax but that is pretty common

some banks offer new settler promo, search online

don’t think it’s possible for cross border mail forwarding, or at least I did not find it. But banks should allow you to change to a Canadian Addr

Reactions: Anpman

Nick1233

Star Member
Dec 16, 2019
Hello frenz,
If everything goes I wl have to move to Canada from US in 2 weeks.I have few questions regarding that.
1.any checklist to do things before I completely wind up from US?
2. Plz suggest movers & packers to take household stuff ..how much do they charge ? Can u keep my stuff in storage in Canada for sometime , till I get home to stay?
3.in which bank Shld I open my bank account ?
4.Shld I transfer all my money from usa to Canada ? What is the cheapest way to do that?
5.what brand jacket is good for Canadian winters?
6.has anybody forwarded their usa mail to Canadian address?
Sorry to ask soo many questions, but this forum helps me always.plz reply .
Thank you soo much in advance
Reg Storage, i found out at the last moment that they wouldn't have given me a unit without a local contact's phone number and address. Fortunately, i was able to use a friend's info.

Make sure to call and confirm their per-requistes.

Reactions: Anpman