+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving car to Canada with expired US registration

incomingAbg

Aug 25, 2019
Hello,

My car registration has expired and when I tried to renew it, DMV said that registration and title will be done together and my car title will be mailed in 4 - 6 weeks. In the meantime, they will take my old title. I did not register my vehicle as my joining date with my company have been finalized by early April.

I will be crossing Queenston Lewiston bridge. Can somebody please help if they have been asked about registration papers at any point during the import/export of the vehicle. Thank you!

mp1807

Feb 18, 2020
My registration has expired too and I'm about to go renew it soon and cross into Canada on May 01st. I didn't understand your issue though - registration renewal is a quick process right - why is it taking 6 weeks now? And what's the title issue you mentioned?

canprofus

Dec 20, 2019
Hello,

My car registration has expired and when I tried to renew it, DMV said that registration and title will be done together and my car title will be mailed in 4 - 6 weeks. In the meantime, they will take my old title. I did not register my vehicle as my joining date with my company have been finalized by early April.

I will be crossing Queenston Lewiston bridge. Can somebody please help if they have been asked about registration papers at any point during the import/export of the vehicle. Thank you!
it might be asked during export formalities by CBP. if you have title and bill of sale, you should be fine, but it is up to the officer. registration is usually requested to prove ownership. it is not required anywhere Canadian side during import process.