+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving car before moving rest of stuff USA->Canada

Peterpan.tintin

Sep 24, 2018
Hi,
I did my soft landing in Dec with my PR and keep crossing Seattle-Vancouver often to find rentals in Vancouver etc.

I am planning to move my household stuff from Seattle to Vancouver on May 15th. I have looked into extensive process of moving the car. I am thinking to transfer my 2 cars from WA to BC license before hand so that there would be less stress while/after moving.

As a side note, I have taken BSF186 while landing but they said I should bring that when I actually move my stuff. I also took that last week and mentioned I want to move my car first but they said, no, I should move my car on exact same day of moving rest of the stuff.

Can you please help with following:
1- Can I export/import car before hand? What is importance of BSF186 while moving the car? Does it save some tax?
2-If BSF186 is required, do you think custom officer was right, saying i should move everything on same day? I actually doubt that, because of two reasons. First he told me I should have get signed BSF 186 while landing and now I can't import anything at all. Later after researching for 15 minutes, told me I did the right think. Second, his suggestion means void concept of "Good to follow"
3-Can I export my car from US on day1 - Give 72 hours notice, get TIN, get stamped title etc. Keep driving my car in US/Canada even after that and import car later on Day15 ?

Please suggest. Thanks in advance !

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hi,
I did my soft landing in Dec with my PR and keep crossing Seattle-Vancouver often to find rentals in Vancouver etc.

I am planning to move my household stuff from Seattle to Vancouver on May 15th. I have looked into extensive process of moving the car. I am thinking to transfer my 2 cars from WA to BC license before hand so that there would be less stress while/after moving.

As a side note, I have taken BSF186 while landing but they said I should bring that when I actually move my stuff. I also took that last week and mentioned I want to move my car first but they said, no, I should move my car on exact same day of moving rest of the stuff.

Can you please help with following:
1- Can I export/import car before hand? What is importance of BSF186 while moving the car? Does it save some tax?
2-If BSF186 is required, do you think custom officer was right, saying i should move everything on same day? I actually doubt that, because of two reasons. First he told me I should have get signed BSF 186 while landing and now I can't import anything at all. Later after researching for 15 minutes, told me I did the right think. Second, his suggestion means void concept of "Good to follow"
3-Can I export my car from US on day1 - Give 72 hours notice, get TIN, get stamped title etc. Keep driving my car in US/Canada even after that and import car later on Day15 ?

Please suggest. Thanks in advance !
To the best of my knowledge, the goods coming in under the "Goods to Follow" can be brought in at ANY time in the future, staggered or not. As long as they are on the CBSA stamped list, you don't need to bring them all in at the same time.

Tubsmagee

Jul 2, 2016
You should try calling or visiting the border where you intend to import your vehicles and ask. I don’t believe that it is necessary to do on the same day as all goods, as long as you have declared everything as following, but it has been a long time since I landed... the process for importing a vehicle is not difficult. The information is on the sites, and as long as you read through and follow steps, you shouldn’t have any issues. **I did neither and it was a complete cluster...**

sid1987

Champion Member
Jul 4, 2018
ottawa
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
19-06-2018
AOR Received.
19-06-2018
Passport Req..
25 -07-2018
VISA ISSUED...
01-08-2018
LANDED..........
04-08-2018
cool.. i did except the fact i was moving my sports car and other complications... its a straight work.. my movers asked for few documents and voila they took care of everything else..