+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

more questions!@!@!

fingerscrossed

Oct 17, 2007
Hello again!!
I have a quick question regarding the IMM 1344 form. As I stated in an earlier posting my wife and I are teaching at a school in Thailand. Question 5 asks for my mailing address and question 6 asks for my residential address, should I put my address here at the school in Thailand for both of the above; I do have home address in Ontario, should I use this at all?? Also question 7 asks about my home phone #, this would be my Thai number? When it states the word “home” I think Canada.

Thanks in advance for any advice
FC

Gdaymate

Star Member
Sep 26, 2007
Hi Fingerscrossed

The mailing address is the most important as that's where CIC will send all correspondence. It's up to you but since you'll be in Thailand until May 2008 you'll probably want to give them your Thai address to avoid postal delays. If the application isn't finalised by the time you return to Canada you can update your information with CIC then. I'd also give them your Thai phone number so they can contact you easily if need be.

For the residential address either would be correct but since part of the requirement of a Canadian citizen sponsoring from abroad is that you show your intention to settle in Canada once PR has been granted, it might be more helpful to put your Ontario address there.

Best of luck!

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
If you have someone living at your Ontario address who can forward documents to you, then you should put your Ontario address as your mailing address.

As to your residential address, you should be very careful about claiming a residential address in Canada while working in Thailand. It could come back to haunt you if CIC believes you're living in Thailand and not telling them the truth about it.

Gdaymate

Star Member
Sep 26, 2007
Hi Thaiguy

I thought since it was clear Fingerscrossed had a long term work contract in Thailand and because he said he owns a place in Ontario that perhaps he could put either? I wasn't thinking that it could be viewed that he would be claiming to be a resident there so much as helping to confirm his intention to return.

If you could clarify this for me so I have it straight in my head it would be greatly appreciated!

fingerscrossed

Oct 17, 2007
Hello Thaiguy and G’daymate
Thanks for your input; I am going to read a few more comments on here before I fill out that section, I want to make sure I address it properly. I am living in Thailand legally and have been here for a few years, I am thinking I will just put my Thai address on the app. to save any hassles. I do not by any means want to mislead CIC. I think if I put a Canadian address on the form it will just add to already difficult process.

Any further advice would be greatly appreciated
Sincerely
FC

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
Gdaymate - "residency" is a different issue from where you own a house and, therefore, have a right to file your application. When I applied for PR, I used a Canadian lawfirm as my mailing address, but my address in Thailand as my residence. I have family members in the U.S. who would have gladly allowed me to use their addresses as my residence, but CIC might have questioned why my residence didn't match the addresses in my background information. Everything should cross-check.

So really I suggest that fingerscrossed uses his Thai address as his residence (remember you can change it very easily online). And then, if someone can forward the mail to him in Thailand from Ontario, make the Ontario address his mailing address.

TG