+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moratorium on Food Service Sector

stopDA

Apr 27, 2013
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
OK, the new changes to the program will be announced tomorrow. Now that we know WHEN Kenney's announcing his changes, my concern has now turned to WHAT the changes will be. Will he really make it impossible for food service people to get LMOs by hiking fees and mandating that wage floor and other tomfoolery? I really hope the changes are in our favors and aren't too bad.

Also, I hope that people who got LMOs approved prior to this moratorium will still be able to use them. I guess we'll find out tomorrow.

sujani

Aug 6, 2011
Evn the esdc is not explaining me prperly abt motorium!! I am international student n i am wrking as retail sales supervisor, the prob here is my wp is expiring nxt month n my employer agreed to apply for LMO for my postision but prob here is "evrybody is saying the motorium is affected to food sector only" but if u see in motorium NOC 2006, retail trade superviosr "6211" also come under tht!!! I dnt knw if my lmo vl be positive or vl be on hold. Does it makes any difference for me bec i am on my open work permit n i am not TWF who got lmo and came to canada, so just wondering if my case is different or not!!!

beholder69

Oct 9, 2011
sujani said:
Evn the esdc is not explaining me prperly abt motorium!! I am international student n i am wrking as retail sales supervisor, the prob here is my wp is expiring nxt month n my employer agreed to apply for LMO for my postision but prob here is "evrybody is saying the motorium is affected to food sector only" but if u see in motorium NOC 2006, retail trade superviosr "6211" also come under tht!!! I dnt knw if my lmo vl be positive or vl be on hold. Does it makes any difference for me bec i am on my open work permit n i am not TWF who got lmo and came to canada, so just wondering if my case is different or not!!!
The moratorium is indeed for the food services sector only, since it only affects employers in that sector. So it depends whether or not your employer is in this category or not

stopDA

Apr 27, 2013
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
15 hours to the announcement of changes to the TFW program. This is going to be the longest 15 hours of my life.

anng

May 8, 2014
Lloydminster, SK
Visa Office......
Missisauga
App. Filed.......
May 7, 2014
Doc's Request.
Mar 12, 2015
AOR Received.
Aug 7, 2014 2nd AOR : Feb 12, 2015
Med's Done....
Upfront
VISA ISSUED...
AIP and DM : Sept 29, 2015
LANDED..........
Oct. 30, 2015
stopDA said:
15 hours to the announcement of changes to the TFW program. This is going to be the longest 15 hours of my life.
hi i would just like to ask question what if my wp is expiring in one week is it possible for my employer to apply for my new work permit even im on a restoration status?

sujani

Aug 6, 2011
Thanks for ur time beholder69, i am a supervisor in a gas station n we dnt prepare any food at our store but have packged food!!! So can u tel me now whts the situation!!!

ErickNL

Mar 15, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The part about shortening the time you can be in Canada to <4 years is a bit disconcerting. It's tight enough trying to get things done in 4 years. I'm a little apprehensive about tomorrow's press release.

isabela

Star Member
May 14, 2011
news release tonight....TEMPORARY FOREIGN WORKERS ALREADY IN CANADA FOR LOW-WAGE JOBS WILL BE ALLOWED TO REMAIN UNTIL PERMITS EXPIRE,WHICH COULD BE ANYWHERE FORM ONE TO FOUR YEARS. THE NEW REFORMS WONT AFFECT HIGHLY SKILLED WORKERS,SEASONAL LABOURERS SUCH AS NANNIES AND CAREGIVER WILL EXCEMT FOR THE NEW RULES.....

beholder69

Oct 9, 2011
sujani said:
Thanks for ur time beholder69, i am a supervisor in a gas station n we dnt prepare any food at our store but have packged food!!! So can u tel me now whts the situation!!!
Sounds like you're not affected but just to make sure, you can check with your employer and ask him what their NAICS code is. The only one that is affected by the moratorium is 722. If they have any other, you're good. In any case, the moratorium should be lifted tomorrow (at least we hope so), so we will all hopefully be able to move on with the procedures

isabela

Star Member
May 14, 2011
beholder69 said:
Sounds like you're not affected but just to make sure, you can check with your employer and ask him what their NAICS code is. The only one that is affected by the moratorium is 722. If they have any other, you're good. In any case, the moratorium should be lifted tomorrow (at least we hope so), so we will all hopefully be able to move on with the procedures
beholder69,did u see the news just right now at CTV NEWS.....all temporary foreign workers already in Canada for low-wage jobs will be allowed to remain until permit expires that could be anywhere form one to four years......MORE STRICT for the employers to recruit foreign workers.....

mylady833

Sep 28, 2011
Saskatoon
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 25, 2013
Doc's Request.
Aip May 15, 2014, DM July 12,2014
Interview........
07-08-2014
LANDED..........
07-08-2014
http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/tfw-crackdown-includes-cap-on-low-wage-workers-heavy-fines-sources-1.1877808

stopDA

Apr 27, 2013
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
OK, it seems like we dodged the bullet on the wage floor. They're replacing the wage floor with a cap on low-skilled workers. But it seems like they also plan to reduce the amount of time we can spend in Canada as a TFW. It's 4 years right now and holy hell, I can't afford for them to reduce that. I need at least 2 years to become a PR.

stopDA

Apr 27, 2013
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ErickNL said:
The part about shortening the time you can be in Canada to <4 years is a bit disconcerting. It's tight enough trying to get things done in 4 years. I'm a little apprehensive about tomorrow's press release.
I think that they're probably going to cut it in half. I think that Kenney truly wants us to be temporary workers who'll never have a chance at getting PR under provincial nomination. They better come up with a way for us to become PRs within this new timeframe they're giving us to work with.

milyon25

Sep 20, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
stopDA said:
I think that they're probably going to cut it in half. I think that Kenney truly wants us to be temporary workers who'll never have a chance at getting PR under provincial nomination. They better come up with a way for us to become PRs within this new timeframe they're giving us to work with.

do you think this new timeframe also apply for those who already in canada?let say my husband WP will expires by sept 2015? he really need to go back to our country? if her/his employer wont renew his WP?