Category........
Visa Office......
Rome
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
1/11/11
We would like to know in what form we are supposed to carry our money when we move to Canada. Any links and references will be appreciated. Thank you

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Any form (cash, demand draft, telegraphic transfer, etc) you like, but if the amount (or in equivalent) is greater than $10,000, you must declare to the customs:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5114-eng.html#s10

Vangelis21

Sep 10, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Rome
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
1/11/11
I am not talking about money in our pockets, I mean the funds they require us to have when landing etc. That is more than 17000 CAD and of course we cannot have it as cash on us. What are we supposed to do? Anyone from Greece or at most European countries knows (as banks work in specific ways in these countries and it is not the same all over the world) ?

Vangelis21

Sep 10, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Rome
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
1/11/11

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Vangelis21 said:
We would like to know in what form we are supposed to carry our money when we move to Canada. Any links and references will be appreciated. Thank you
Steaky answered to this question perfectly.

To your second question:
"I am not talking about money in our pockets, I mean the funds they require us to have when landing etc. That is more than 17000 CAD and of course we cannot have it as cash on us. What are we supposed to do?"

the answer is same. You can get travellers cheque and/or demand draft partially for the funds you have, leaving two or three thousand cash with you.

Vangelis21

Sep 10, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Rome
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
1/11/11
wilson said:
Steaky answered to this question perfectly.

To your second question:
"I am not talking about money in our pockets, I mean the funds they require us to have when landing etc. That is more than 17000 CAD and of course we cannot have it as cash on us. What are we supposed to do?"

the answer is same. You can get travellers cheque and/or demand draft partially for the funds you have, leaving two or three thousand cash with you.
hello,

they told me that a travelers cheque might be risky as it might be lost (things happen) and then it may take a long time for the money to be free in the account so we can use it. As for the demand draft, i have no idea what it is.

V

vidya

Contact ur bank manager and discuss this matter . He will guide you. ;D

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Vangelis21 said:
hello,

they told me that a travelers cheque might be risky as it might be lost (things happen) and then it may take a long time for the money to be free in the account so we can use it. As for the demand draft, i have no idea what it is.
Travellers cheque is safer than cash during travel. You can instantly cash travellers cheque at any airport or bank with your passport as identity.

Demand draft is to be obtained from any of your local bank drawn on a Canadian bank. If there is a branch of National Bank of Greece, HSBC, CITI Bank or any major bank in your town, please contact any of them.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Vangelis21 said:
That is more than 17000 CAD and of course we cannot have it as cash on us. What are we supposed to do? Anyone from Greece or at most European countries knows (as banks work in specific ways in these countries and it is not the same all over the world) ?
Actually I know lots of Chinese prefer carrying cash than cheques or demand draft. In the past when credit cards and debit cards were not popular, I, too have to carry more than hundreds of 100 chinese yuan bill in cash to pay for computer and other things. 17,000 CAD is just 170 $100 bill!

Like I said, you can choose any form you like.