+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

**MISSISSAUGA PROCESSING** - Outland Spousal Applicants

NorthwardCA

Star Member
Oct 31, 2017
We will be importing both our vehicles. We are still doing research to find out if we're going to bite the bullet and pay for a vehicle transport company (we live in Texas and have two small children who hate travelling in carseats) or have my husband pull my car (on a trailer) with his pickup from Texas and us drive across together (the kids and I would fly to Seattle and meet him there). So much to consider and plan. It is SO overwhelming. :(
Yeah - Texas is a long haul. When we moved from Boston to California we had a transport firm move them. But from California to BC, we figure we'll just drive. That being said, our only "child" is a Golden Retriever who LOVES riding in the car, so we've got that going for us :)

Reactions: MizKat

MizKat

Star Member
Jul 7, 2017
Texas
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
11-07-2017
Doc's Request.
20-08-2017
AOR Received.
19-08-2017
Med's Request
01-09-2017
Med's Done....
15-09-2017
Passport Req..
20-12-2017
VISA ISSUED...
23-01-2018
Yeah - Texas is a long haul. When we moved from Boston to California we had a transport firm move them. But from California to BC, we figure we'll just drive. That being said, our only "child" is a Golden Retriever who LOVES riding in the car, so we've got that going for us :)
Which transport firm did you use for your move from Boston to California? Would you recommend them? We are considering hiring a transport firm to take our vehicles from Texas to Seattle, and us pick them up there...

TypsyGypsy

Star Member
Apr 6, 2017
I'm pretty sure Mississauga VO has dropped the ball on March Applicants. I keep seeing so many people getting DM from like NDVO and so on....but nothing from Mississauga.....what gives! Mine is a very standard, straight forward application. they have 62 days before 12 months expires.

NorthwardCA

Star Member
Oct 31, 2017
Which transport firm did you use for your move from Boston to California? Would you recommend them? We are considering hiring a transport firm to take our vehicles from Texas to Seattle, and us pick them up there...
That was over 10 years ago, and I don't remember the company. But I do remember it was a bit of a crapshoot and I'm not sure I'd do it again. I say hitch the car to the pick up, you'll have a lot more control over how your car is treated...

MizKat

Star Member
Jul 7, 2017
Texas
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
11-07-2017
Doc's Request.
20-08-2017
AOR Received.
19-08-2017
Med's Request
01-09-2017
Med's Done....
15-09-2017
Passport Req..
20-12-2017
VISA ISSUED...
23-01-2018
That was over 10 years ago, and I don't remember the company. But I do remember it was a bit of a crapshoot and I'm not sure I'd do it again. I say hitch the car to the pick up, you'll have a lot more control over how your car is treated...
Yeah, that's what we think, too. I'm just nervous about my husband driving through the mountain passes in snowy weather (we may move to BC in March). LOL. He's a good driver, though.

Reactions: NorthwardCA

NorthwardCA

Star Member
Oct 31, 2017
I'm pretty sure Mississauga VO has dropped the ball on March Applicants. I keep seeing so many people getting DM from like NDVO and so on....but nothing from Mississauga.....what gives! Mine is a very standard, straight forward application. they have 62 days before 12 months expires.
Mississauga is slow - it looks like 9 to 11 months processing by and large.

But when I look at the sheet, it looks to me like March applicants from Mississauga are all either landed or passport requested, so I'm not sure - maybe we're not looking at the same data?

NorthwardCA

Star Member
Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, that's what we think, too. I'm just nervous about my husband driving through the mountain passes in snowy weather (we may move to BC in March). LOL. He's a good driver, though.
Have you thought of going through New Mexico? It may slow you down, but it'll be dryer and way less steep than if you try to drive through Colorado or further North.

MizKat

Star Member
Jul 7, 2017
Texas
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
11-07-2017
Doc's Request.
20-08-2017
AOR Received.
19-08-2017
Med's Request
01-09-2017
Med's Done....
15-09-2017
Passport Req..
20-12-2017
VISA ISSUED...
23-01-2018
Have you thought of going through New Mexico? It may slow you down, but it'll be dryer and way less steep than if you try to drive through Colorado or further North.
That's a good idea. We'll have to look at all possible routes.

Masonb6888

Jan 9, 2016
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
Feb .06. 2017
Doc's Request.
Oct 10, 13. (Updated PCC, and StatDeca Common-law)
AOR Received.
Feb .23. 2017
File Transfer...
OB570 Stream (stayed in Mississauga)/ Oct 30. 2017 (BGC in progress)
Med's Request
Passed: Mar.3.2017
Med's Done....
Oct. 28. 2016
Passport Req..
Nov. 01. 2017
VISA ISSUED...
Nov. 22. 2017
LANDED..........
Nov. 24. 2017
Just wanted to update you guys. Officially done. Got the PR card in the mail today.

of course two days after I email CIC asking where it's at.
We're planning on importing our car from the US but we haven't looked into the details yet, since we're still waiting for the PR application to finish processing...could still be a few months away. We're hoping to move by late spring, but it all depends on PR for my husband so that he can begin working right away. It's funny - here I am obsessing about our application status all this time when really I should be putting that energy into finding a job, apartment, paperwork for the car and our two pets and all the other work involved in moving, haha. It's a catch 22 though - it's like we can't officially plan until we know we're officially approved. :eek:
as for importing.. Plan ahead.
if you OWN your car as in no lease or financed. it's FAR easier. DO NOT try and cross the border as a PR with an american plated car. you're going to be in for a treat.. I did it and only got to leave since I was legally in the country as a student, had proof my car was there legally, and also had proof on me I was actively going through the process of importing my car. The officer said that it would have been a much more dramatic scenario if I didn't happen to have that stuff with me (thank god I'm a freak and travel with extra stuff I wouldn't normally need.)
Anyways! either way. claim it when you land. claim the care as an item to follow..
here's what you have to do;

IF your car is leased/has a lean (financed) you need permission letter from the bank. The Canadian side will accept that, no idea about american.
that permission letters needs to clearly state that the bank acknowledges that this is a permanent move and they authorize the vehicle to leave the US and be registered in Canada.
IF you own your car outright here's what's next:
you take that and first EXPORT through the US side (by calling ahead of time, scheduling at a specific border crossing. usually three days prior, you have to give them all the paperwork before your arrival.
after you export, you import. I've read this is a super quick process.
after that you have X amount of time to take it and get it RIV approved and get the changes done you might need.
then they'll give you the approval to get it registered in your province!

MY experience:
-We traded in my car to a Canadian dealership and they accepted it (since they had ties to the US) and we bought a car off their lot. It was a chevy to a chevy dealership, so I assume that helped.
I didn't have to actually go through the import process and I'm ever so thankful for it.

Masonb6888

Jan 9, 2016
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
Feb .06. 2017
Doc's Request.
Oct 10, 13. (Updated PCC, and StatDeca Common-law)
AOR Received.
Feb .23. 2017
File Transfer...
OB570 Stream (stayed in Mississauga)/ Oct 30. 2017 (BGC in progress)
Med's Request
Passed: Mar.3.2017
Med's Done....
Oct. 28. 2016
Passport Req..
Nov. 01. 2017
VISA ISSUED...
Nov. 22. 2017
LANDED..........
Nov. 24. 2017
Or take I-10 to LA, then take I-5, it will lead you all the way to the border
I second this.
This was the drive I took to come to Seattle when I moved there.
BUT don't take the I-10 through LA, bad idea.
Take the 10, to the 57, to the 210 (let the 210 turn into 134) and then take the 5 all the way up.
that's the quickest way without going THROUGH LA which will suck.
or go down to the beaches and make a day out of it..
just avoid the 91 and the 405 at all costs. They're awful and a parking lot anytime of the day.

**Grew up in southern California.

KBH

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2017
Toronto, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
August 2nd, 2017
AOR Received.
September 22nd, 2017
File Transfer...
October 7th, 2017
Passport Req..
December 29th, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
January 23rd, 2018
LANDED..........
Feb 1st, 2018
Last row on GCKey just updated to say my application was approved!
Guessing that means my COPR will be in the mail soon :D
Ottawa received my docs on Jan 5th

jeff198901

Champion Member
May 7, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
AOR Received.
18-04-2017
Last row on GCKey just updated to say my application was approved!
Guessing that means my COPR will be in the mail soon :D
Ottawa received my docs on Jan 5th
Must be a great feeling!