+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Missed call from Canadian authorities during self isolation

ryeCatcher

Apr 21, 2019
Hi All,

I landed on 31st April and was in isolation till this Friday. I left my isolation place (AirBnB) on Saturday after finishing 15 days in in self isolation.

But I noticed today that I have a vm from a missed call a week ago saying:

"I am calling from government of Canada, am sorry we missed you we will call you back".

But I received no other call during the week. Reading online (on facebook forums) it seems this is related to self isolation enforcement and some folks were called back and some even had officials visit them. I followed all the self isolation requirements perfectly, but am concerned that I might have missed a follow up call as well (my phone is often turned off in the mornings), should I try to contact the authorities in some way? I tried calling the number back but it is of course a government line with just an automated message that

"This number is used for covid19 self isolation, if you missed a call from this number we will call you back in 24 hours".

Should I be concerned that they will think I did not follow the self isolation guidelines? Or any authorities I should try contacting? On my side I have full proof that I stayed isolated, land lord checked in one me (from a distance) a couple of times and we delivered groceries and food to our address etc. But still feeling worried for some reason :(

Mar 8, 2020
Hi All,

I landed on 31st April and was in isolation till this Friday. I left my isolation place (AirBnB) on Saturday after finishing 15 days in in self isolation.

"I am calling from government of Canada, am sorry we missed you we will call you back".

But I received no other call during the week. Reading online (on facebook forums) it seems this is related to self isolation enforcement and some folks were called back and some even had officials visit them. I followed all the self isolation requirements perfectly, but am concerned that I might have missed a follow up call as well (my phone is often turned off in the mornings), should I try to contact the authorities in some way? I tried calling the number back but it is of course a government line with just an automated message that

"This number is used for covid19 self isolation, if you missed a call from this number we will call you back in 24 hours".

Should I be concerned that they will think I did not follow the self isolation guidelines? Or any authorities I should try contacting? On my side I have full proof that I stayed isolated, land lord checked in one me (from a distance) a couple of times and we delivered groceries and food to our address etc. But still feeling worried for some reason :(
@ryeCatcher - I don't have an answer to your question since I'm yet to do my landing. But I'm curious to know your return experience at the US CBP? What sort of questions and documentation did they ask you? Did you have to carry documentation proving you're an essential worker? I'm planning to do soft landing via road in June so would appreciate your help.

ryeCatcher

Apr 21, 2019

ryeCatcher

Apr 21, 2019
That's my own post :)
Yes CBP asked/confirmed that I self isolated. But the call I had was from Canadian authorities, so I am worried about whether I should confirm with the Canadian authorities somehow, not the american authorities..
Ah my bad @Bs65 you were probably answering @CanadaCallingNow .
In my hurry/worry I overlooked that :)

@CanadaCallingNow there is no restriction on travel to the US from Canada for only "essential purposes" when traveling by air.
As per CBP even land travel is ok since work is considered essential, though I flew so can't confirm the land situation first hand.

eksray

May 19, 2017
This happened to us a few days into our self-isolation period. They called each family member to check whether we were following the self-isolation regulations; however we missed picking-up the phone call for my child. They left a similar voice message, but they didn't call back, nevertheless in a few days a (gentle) police officer showed up at our doorstep and asked to check on my child, then asked him a few questions (just to check if he was abiding to the regulations) and waived us goodbye.

Generally I think those following the regulations have nothing to worry about. The GoC is serious about restricting the spread of COVID-19, and they want to ensure the self-quarantine regulations are strictly followed towards that.

ryeCatcher

Apr 21, 2019
This happened to us a few days into our self-isolation period. They called each family member to check whether we were following the self-isolation regulations; however we missed picking-up the phone call for my child. They left a similar voice message, but they didn't call back, nevertheless in a few days a (gentle) police officer showed up at our doorstep and asked to check on my child, then asked him a few questions (just to check if he was abiding to the regulations) and waived us goodbye.

Generally I think those following the regulations have nothing to worry about. The GoC is serious about restricting the spread of COVID-19, and they want to ensure the self-quarantine regulations are strictly followed towards that.
Thanks this is my concern that they sent someone to the door and maybe we were sleeping or working and missed the doorbell.
Do you think there is someone I should or can contact? I do have proof that I didn't leave the AirBnB , am worried that the authorities might think we were not at our address :(

Spotted

Nov 27, 2018
Kenya
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Case Processing Centre CPC Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
17-01-2019
Med's Done....
01-03-2019
Passport Req..
26-09-2019
Hi All,

I think its also about them being able to see if you are falling ill and intervene. Its a public health measure - keep you isolated for the sake of others, but also look in on you to make sure you access health care if you need it.

These people are extremely reasonable, and will not accuse you of something you have not done unless there is proof that you acted in violation. Its rule of law - you are duty bound to obey and it is assumed you will, and if you are suspected of a crime, you are innocent until proved otherwise.

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
Keep your phone on especially if you know they will probably call back.

If they can't get in touch with you they might send someone to come see you.

It'll be a waste of time especially if you've been respecting quarantine.

Last edited:
Reactions: ryeCatcher

ryeCatcher

Apr 21, 2019
Keep your phone on especially if you know they will probably call back.

If they can't get in touch with you they might send someone to come see you.

It'll be a waste of time especially if you've been respecting quarantine.
Yeah phone has been on but I'm back to the US now after the isolation period, that's why additionally nervous about it.

I think its also about them being able to see if you are falling ill and intervene. Its a public health measure - keep you isolated for the sake of others, but also look in on you to make sure you access health care if you need it.

These people are extremely reasonable, and will not accuse you of something you have not done unless there is proof that you acted in violation. Its rule of law - you are duty bound to obey and it is assumed you will, and if you are suspected of a crime, you are innocent until proved otherwise.
That's what I am hoping! I did obey everything just the fact that I can't stop feeling nervous as a newly landed PR that the authorities might be thinking otherwise. I called one helpline today, they said :

"If your isolation period is over please feel free to move about, the authorities probably forgot to call you back"

Would love to have that in writing though :p

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yeah phone has been on but I'm back to the US now after the isolation period, that's why additionally nervous about it.

That's what I am hoping! I did obey everything just the fact that I can't stop feeling nervous as a newly landed PR that the authorities might be thinking otherwise. I called one helpline today, they said :

"If your isolation period is over please feel free to move about, the authorities probably forgot to call you back"

Would love to have that in writing though :p
Would call the public health office in the city you were staying in and try to explain your situation. Not sure how you missed a call for so long knowing you would likely be contacted by public health.

ryeCatcher

Apr 21, 2019
Would call the public health office in the city you were staying in and try to explain your situation. Not sure how you missed a call for so long knowing you would likely be contacted by public health.
They called at 8.30AM , I was asleep :D and phone was turned off, never got a call back.

And I don't get voice mail until I turn on data/LTE (for some weird reason), which I only did when I left self isolation. I did not expect a phone call, I expected someone to come knock on my door (which they didn't).

But yeah thanks, I'll try to call the public health office in Toronto.

cicuser

Star Member
Oct 11, 2017
@ryeCatcher @eksray - We are planning our move from US to Canada in mid June. Since you guys have been to Canada during recent time, would it be alright if I contact you to ask a few questions regarding your experience in general and particular things to keep in mind (such as the phone call from health authorities).

Thanks

ryeCatcher

Apr 21, 2019
@ryeCatcher @eksray - We are planning our move from US to Canada in mid June. Since you guys have been to Canada during recent time, would it be alright if I contact you to ask a few questions regarding your experience in general and particular things to keep in mind (such as the phone call from health authorities).

Thanks
Sure feel free to drop a DM if you like

eksray

May 19, 2017

Thanks
Sure thing, you're welcome to DM